• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    Got two pregnant rabbits I hope. Should know in a week. Funny I'm the only one who's having a hard time getting rabbits to breed.
    Looking at the date on your post - NO - Everyone was having a hard time last year - like it was something in the air or the water... Or maybe the lack of water. I'm thinking that animals will 'sense' a drought, even though they are getting plenty, it may go toward shutting down their breeding cycle. We had issues breeding in late 2010 thru mid spring 2011. Went to the rabbit show at the stock yards and hit some of the forums... Everyone was having issues - even people breeding for show in AC'd barns were having trouble.

300 eggs per year for just under two years. I don't have much room to expand honestly. Just want 12 quail eggs a day for now. I'm saving for a new house with more land to expand the rabbit and quail operation, add pygmy goats and plant a larger garden in under 3 years from now.

This is more of a preparation lab\learning until I can upgrade from this pico ranch and get that mini ranch (3 -10 acres).
    You have the same plan we do! I'm liking the whole quail thing - maybe we need to add this to our backyard rabbit farm... I have another boy here who was wanting to do it last year, maybe it's time for some additional responsibility for him...

They tasted great! Ya, I got busy and the wait was on.
    Between this and the rabbitsyou have some really good posts and very informative - Keep em' coming!
    Thanks!!!
    Venture Surplus ad

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    By far I enjoy the quail more than the rabbits. The HUGE problem is fly control. I slack off two days with the Sweet PDZ or miss a weekly poison and there are issues.

If not for the flies issue and loud hens if I kept more than one I'd go 100% quail for meat and eggs getting an incubator, brooder and cages that roll the eggs to the front of the cage.

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    By far I enjoy the quail more than the rabbits. The HUGE problem is fly control. I slack off two days with the sweet PTZ or miss a weekly poison and there are issues.

If not for the flies issue and loud hens if I kept more than one I'd go 100% quail for meat and eggs getting an incubator, brooder and cages that roll the eggs to the front of the cage.

We have fly issues when wet - when things are dry and hot, not so much - I guess nature just takes it's course.
    Are you composting the droppings?
    sweet PTZ? Haven't heard of it. Got a link?
    I'm careful with the poisons to avoid the obvious potential health issues.
    We've had some sucess with home made fly traps.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    We have fly issues when wet - when things are dry and hot, not so much - I guess nature just takes it's course.
    Are you composting the droppings?
    sweet PTZ? Haven't heard of it. Got a link?
    I'm careful with the poisons to avoid the obvious potential health issues.
    We've had some sucess with home made fly traps.

I'm throwing them in the compost bin yes.
    Poision is instant and has flavors added so humans and other animals don't get into it.
    Tried a bunch of stuff including fly traps and vanilla car sents I was told works but it didn't.
    Oops, it's Sweet PDZ

Sweet PDZ® Stall Refresher, 25 lb. - 5065990 | Tractor Supply Company

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    Excellent - headed to the feed store in a bit for Rabbit food - so I'll check it out...
    Thanks Again!

indpendnt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    DFW
    Bryant commercial feed - has a well balanced protein and fiber content. Ours also get branches from neighbor’s fruit trees as they trim them to chew on, the occasional carrot or veggie (never iceberg lettuce or cabbage). We're fairly careful with the bunnies, until it's time to 'dispatch' them...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thanks for the informative post (goes for the rabbit one too).
    Did you hatch any eggs? (or try?) How is the flock in the cooler climate?

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Thanks for the informative post (goes for the rabbit one too).
    Did you hatch any eggs? (or try?) How is the flock in the cooler climate?

I can get hatch lings for $0.50 each. To hatch quail eggs I'd need an incubator as well as my brooder. It's a bit of work but for me I'm just into eating the eggs but if I were in it for the quail meat a nice incubator\brooder setup would be an investment and I'd hatch them year round.

Top Bottom