• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Decided to raise some quail along with my rabbits in my very small back yard. I can't do chickens per HOA so these are exotic birds. I've only had them one week and they've grown quite a bit. Let me know if you'd like more information.

Got them as day olds from a guy here in Katy. They need heat and marbles in the water to keep from drowning. Also some paper towels to stand on so they don't get mal grown feet that is fatal the first three days of growing.

Mostly quiet. Little warbles and a bit of peeping when they get cold. Got them March 13.

img20110313103849.jpg

Here they are a week old. They've DOUBLED in size. Eat, sleep and poop. Three got into the feeder this AM and couldn't get out.
    img20110321082135.jpg
    Texas SOT

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    They're small. 4 quail eggs to one chicken egg. That said they are creamier (protein is more complex) and have more yoke per egg than chickens. Quail eggs are used as sushi restaurants a bunch.

Farm raised quail are great tasting. For one you don't need to worry about the lead pellets. It only takes 6 weeks of growing from egg to plate size. Babies cost $1.50 each. If you buy an incubator it's .50 an egg. Feed costs $17.50 plus tax for 50lbs. My birds are eating about a cup a day now.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    This is all a small scale experiment in my tiny back yard. We are on target to move and get some land in 2.5 years. If I can't do this and a small garden successfully in the next couple of years I'll just get a bigger house in the city. That said we REALLY want to have some land and become as self sufficient as possible.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    This is all a small scale experiment in my tiny back yard. We are on target to move and get some land in 2.5 years. If I can't do this and a small garden successfully in the next couple of years I'll just get a bigger house in the city. That said we REALLY want to have some land and become as self sufficient as possible.
    I love a garden, but they will take up all of your spare time.
    A few years ago I planted a BIG garden. I didnt buy nothin from the store except caned goods and the basic stuff. Everything tast better from the garden and has no preservitives.
    When you have to go buy stuff at the market again, you'll notice it aint the same.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Definitely good info. Keep us posted. Love the idea of becoming more self sufficient! I should be closing on my 10 acres this week. It'll be a while before I can get out there, so I've got time, but I'm looking at ways to produce at least some of our own food.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Here's the update. Redid the brooder a bit to fit them.

8in deep 36in by 24in.

Cost:
    Plastic Tub: $14.00
    Peg Board : $6.00
    10' of 1\4 caging $13.00
    Existing Heat Lamp keeping it at 90 degrees. 1 week olds are all over the place so they're comfy.

newcage1.jpg

newcage3.jpg

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Getting big. Thing now is they are "Boinking" out of the cage at times when it's open. Not too often though. I tested them on the floor and they can fly straight up about 5' in the air. That's one of the reasons the brooder is so low. If a brooder is too high you can get them "Boinking" up when startled and they can injure or even kill themselves. Given the choice they'll walk though.

Kids enjoy playing with them. Chicks don't mind handling too much. Cleaning the cage out every 4 days to keep the odor down on the pine chips. If I had a way to use hardware cloth and not pine chips in this setup it'd be better I think.

img20110330131632.jpg

img20110330131508.jpg

project

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    texas
    I had a friend start the same way you are and in about a year and a half he had a full time buisness raising over 30,000 per month...

Im not an exception to the rule, I am an example of it!

Top Bottom