• Total voters
    • This poll will close: .

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    There will be an initiative on the upcoming ballot to provide full day Pre-K for certain segments of the population of San Antonio that is to be funded by a 1/8% increase in the San Antonio sales tax. Please note that there is already a 1/2 day program available in our school districts that is paid for by the state for those that qualify.

To qualify the families must meet the following criteria:

■ eligible for free or reduced lunch (is at 185 percent of the federal poverty level); or
    ■ unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
    ■ homeless; or
    ■ the child of an active-duty member of the armed forces of the United States; or
    ■ the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
    ■ is or has been in foster care.

I'd like to see how people feel about this.
    Target Sports

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Removed - reread and saw the last line. Sorry

No problem. I'm interested in the opinions of SA residents because thats who will feel the brunt of it but this is an open forum and anyone can put in their $.02 so on second thought I'll remove the SA only thing.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I do not have kids and admittedly haven't heard much about this, I'm definitely not a fan of Castro nor raising taxes. I'll say indifferent for now until I do a bit more research.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Not amused how they tie military and illegal godsdamned aliens together in what appears to be a shameless ploy to merge the radical left issue of pandering to criminals with the reflexive support by actual Americans of those people with the balls to stand up and serve their country (instead of sneaking in to someone else's and demanding free shit).

Typical leftist crap from a typical leftist batch of criminal-coddlers in this sanctuary city. Just a plan to take money from the few productive citizens left and give it to the sort of criminals that support...criminal-coddling leftists.

No, no and hell no.

Alex

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Not amused how they tie military and illegal godsdamned aliens together in what appears to be a shameless ploy to merge the radical left issue of pandering to criminals with the reflexive support by actual Americans of those people with the balls to stand up and serve their country (instead of sneaking in to someone else's and demanding free shit).

Typical leftist crap from a typical leftist batch of criminal-coddlers in this sanctuary city. Just a plan to take money from the few productive citizens left and give it to the sort of criminals that support...criminal-coddling leftists.

No, no and hell no.

Alex

I was thinking the same thing in regards to them throwing in the military families. The lefties can be very transparent at times.

Patrón

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    San Antonio
    I think it's just a political ploy castro can use when he tries to run for senate/governor/president. I don't know how this city voted for him.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    They have this program in the school district where my mother lives. My 3 y/o brother (adopted) attends school all day long under this same type of program but the funds come from the taxes paid to the ISD.

Im glad that its not only available to non-english speaking or Special Ed students like it used to be, now its open to almost everyone.

Badfish

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2010
    San Antonio,TX
    Voted against it. I think they need to better utilize the taxes we all ready pay.
    Im also tired of supporting people who want to take but not put back into the system.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    They have this program in the school district where my mother lives. My 3 y/o brother (adopted) attends school all day long under this same type of program but the funds come from the taxes paid to the ISD.

Im glad that its not only available to non-english speaking or Special Ed students like it used to be, now its open to almost everyone.

The district I live in has a half day program but my kids couldn't go because I work for a living. I've always resented that and I voted against the proposal as did my wife.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Voted against it. I think they need to better utilize the taxes we all ready pay.
    Im also tired of supporting people who want to take but not put back into the system.

Most of them will be takers their entire lives. If it had been for everyone I would have voted for it.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Against it. I feel that the majority of the people that qualify are the same ones taking advantage of the system currently.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Typical liberal crap - it isn't the city's job to be involved in education.

Besides which - what the education system NEEDS is trade schools, not more babysitters.

bushd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Richardson
    this. its basically an all day babysitter for those that arent doing much anyway. however, it is also an all day babysitter for those that ARE trying to do for themselves.

My thoughts exactly. It's a babysitter for free if you qualify and everyone else pays for it. I think they added military just so it would spark pride as helping troops.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Typical liberal crap - it isn't the city's job to be involved in education.

Besides which - what the education system NEEDS is trade schools, not more babysitters.

Yep. You have kids, you get to pay for your own baby sitters. Otherwise, don't have kids. :p

Kinda tired of paying for what seems like everybody else's brats...

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I'll tell you exactly what this thing is. It is nothing more than Castro using tax-payer money to get his friends high-paying, low-workload jobs in which there is also lots of room for things to grow legs and disappear/abuse of funds.

The people who are going to be put in charge of it aren't elected, they are appointed. There is no way for voters to have a say in ANYTHING they do, and of course no way for voters to fire them. It is Castro's attempt to give his friends $60,000 a year baby-sitting jobs, but of course half the idiots in this city probably think it's great because it's another "Free" program for them to rabidly grab at.

The arguments they make for it are so desperate sounding you'd have to be brain-damaged to believe them. "Pre-K will lower the prison population! It will make kids college-ready!" Yeah, because prisons are full of people who don't know their colors and the SAT has a special "What shape is this?" section. It's so sad we live in a society where we actually have people who aren't ashamed of themselves for saying such completely obvious bullshit.

I've been considering moving and this certainly isn't helping the city keep me here.

5 Screw Smith

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Atascosa Co.
    There will be an initiative on the upcoming ballot to provide full day Pre-K for certain segments of the population of San Antonio that is to be funded by a 1/8% increase in the San Antonio sales tax. Please note that there is already a 1/2 day program available in our school districts that is paid for by the state for those that qualify.

To qualify the families must meet the following criteria:

■ eligible for free or reduced lunch (is at 185 percent of the federal poverty level); or
    ■ unable to speak and comprehend the English language; or
    ■ homeless; or
    ■ the child of an active-duty member of the armed forces of the United States; or
    ■ the child of a member of the armed forces of the United States who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
    ■ is or has been in foster care.

I'd like to see how people feel about this.

Even though I'm no loner a resident of San Antonio, I feel the need to comment. Since this program would come from taxpayer donations, then why aren't all taxpayers with this age children eligible for the program?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'll tell you exactly what this thing is. It is nothing more than Castro using tax-payer money to get his friends high-paying, low-workload jobs in which there is also lots of room for things to grow legs and disappear/abuse of funds.

The people who are going to be put in charge of it aren't elected, they are appointed. There is no way for voters to have a say in ANYTHING they do, and of course no way for voters to fire them. It is Castro's attempt to give his friends $60,000 a year baby-sitting jobs, but of course half the idiots in this city probably think it's great because it's another "Free" program for them to rabidly grab at.

The arguments they make for it are so desperate sounding you'd have to be brain-damaged to believe them. "Pre-K will lower the prison population! It will make kids college-ready!" Yeah, because prisons are full of people who don't know their colors and the SAT has a special "What shape is this?" section. It's so sad we live in a society where we actually have people who aren't ashamed of themselves for saying such completely obvious bullshit.

I've been considering moving and this certainly isn't helping the city keep me here.

I hear you on all that!

We should start demanding studies from them to back their claims. Peer-reviewed and properly conducted, of course... Not like the BS "studies" they used to build their case for the smoking ban.

Even though I'm no loner a resident of San Antonio, I feel the need to comment. Since this program would come from taxpayer donations, then why aren't all taxpayers with this age children eligible for the program?

Because as expensive as it already is, that would be too expensive to afford.

Also, for the same reason single people have to for crappy government-provided education... "Because, uhhh.... for the children!!"

Top Bottom