• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Sasquatch, I've been to the Rickreall show a few times. Didn't know much of Paul's background so thanks for filling in the blanks. A lot of his vids sure "feel" like Deschutes County to me. I miss the Oregon pine forests but I sure don't miss Oregon's lefto politics.
    Hurley's Gold

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Sasquatch, I've been to the Rickreall show a few times. Didn't know much of Paul's background so thanks for filling in the blanks. A lot of his vids sure "feel" like Deschutes County to me. I miss the Oregon pine forests but I sure don't miss Oregon's lefto politics.

Agreed.

Beauty of central Oregon from Gorge to the Cali border is hard to beat. The forests, the grassy meadows, rocky outcroppings. I loved the road trips to central Oregon in the spring and summer when I was a tow truck monkey. Hwy 97 and 22 were some of my favorite stretches of road in that state.

I do miss the nature and the beauty, but don't miss the politics one bit. Just saw the other day that Portland has hit the #2 spot in the country, behind NYC, on the list of highest taxed cities to live in between the fed / state income taxes, the local income taxes and special taxes. Its nuts.

I came from the Hillsboro area which wasn't as horrible as Portland, but now from what I've seen in the news, and heard from my family still there, its turning into little Portland. Homeless everywhere, rampant crime, and despite having a good sheriff, some good police departments, and a decent DA's office (tho Soros was backing a candidate in 2020, I don't know if he won or not) they can't keep up with the nonsense. The county comissioners in Washington County started going left too - and the transplant Californians and third-worlders coming in for Intel drove a solid republican district into democrat control around 2016.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Real Oregonians - not the pussified limp wristed skinny jean wearing shitstain California transplants that have been continually infecting the state since the 1950's.

The more no-bullshit type who come from hardier stock, the types that immigrated to Oregon from the midwest to strike out a better life and put up with the struggle and hardship. Not those who flew north from Santa Clara, San Francisco, or Los Angeles to sit in a life sucking flourescent lighting filled cubical farm filled with the sound of depression and the low clacking of keyboards occasionally interrupted by a loud expletive, or the dickface moisturized hand having turd suckers who sold their parents home for 10X what their parents paid to some dot-commie who flew north and hoovered up productive farm lands to turn them into vineyards, nursuries or weed farms.

You sir are a wordsmith.

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Deemus, you have to be a real Oregonian to know just how far down the toilet that beautiful state has gone in the hands of the progressives and former Californians who dragged their mutant political visions with them and proceeded to shove them down everyone else's throat. I am a native of Salem, lived most of my life south in the Rogue Valley (I sure miss the flyfishing for summer steelhead), but some on the "dry high side."
    Sasquatch is telling it like it is. Sadly, there used to be a wonderful gun shop in Hillsboro called the Powder Horn and that is where I first set eyes on a Ballard Pacific No.5 in .40-90 Ballard Everlasting. I have not been quite "right" ever since. :laughing:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I’ve spent time in Portland but wanted to see other parts of the state. Have family in Vancouver area.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Born in Corvallis. People think Portland is ground zero or a problem; it was really Corvallis and Eugene. Don’t get me wrong Portland had its moments. But the valley and two universities is really where the problems started.

Being a 90’s kid and the son of a professor who had friends both democrat and republican, everyone was bitching about the Californians. Times weren’t so bad even if the democrats controlled things back then. It was a very free state. No dumb car laws, no gun laws, and lots of camping and gold mining spots.

If it was one thing all Oregonians had in common was the hatred we had for Californians and there is some truth to pigeon holing them all. They drove like shit and acted like shit. Overall obnoxious people. I know there’s folks on this board that have proven to me they are cool regardless where they are from.

A lot of Texans would have loved Oregon in the 90’s. People would have gotten along just fine. Most were hard working neighborhood oriented folks even if Democrats. Most democrats back then like my father were anti government. They were patriots but had no problem questioning authority and it was a good thing.

When California started going nuts with laws, they would come up to the pnw and everyone was like: **** these guys.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Your earlier post about cancer being evil is spot on. My wife has survived, just barely, throat cancer, is now an invalid and will be until she dies.

However, your statement about MDAnderson is not true, in our experience. All the doctors, nurses, staff, technicians, were caring and have done, and are still, doing their best to help her out and trying to get her to have a better life while she's still here. They went out of their way to get her started in treatment several weeks earlier than we expected, treated her like a queen, and been nothing short of wonderful. The only complaint we have had is a few of the nurses in the chemo treatment didn't know how to put in an IV. A couple of them were butchers, but that's to be expected in any large hospital. Overall, the entire treatment plan is way beyond expectations.
    The nurses at the main campus and the surgeons were amazing. However, the staff outside of the main campus and the clerical staff were pretty ice cold. As for the IV issue, I've seen that everywhere. My mother was a nurse and she claimed that hospitals put the emphasis on nurses having degrees and "book learning" instead of physical contact. When they put my port in at Memorial Hermann, the first nurse had her 3 tries at putting in an IV and failed. The second one did the same. The third nurse took 2 tries to get it right, and it was very painful but I put up with it rather than find out whatever other damage they could do. Also, The Woodlands used a different port than the main campus. The first time I had to get disconnected from the portable chemo was on a Saturday, so they had me go downtown. Of course, they didn't let anybody know that down there, and it took me an hour to find out where the chemo lab was. The techs pulled and tugged for what seemed like an eternity before a third tech came in and showed them how to get it to disconnect.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Deemus, you have to be a real Oregonian to know just how far down the toilet that beautiful state has gone in the hands of the progressives and former Californians who dragged their mutant political visions with them and proceeded to shove them down everyone else's throat. I am a native of Salem, lived most of my life south in the Rogue Valley (I sure miss the flyfishing for summer steelhead), but some on the "dry high side."
    Sasquatch is telling it like it is. Sadly, there used to be a wonderful gun shop in Hillsboro called the Powder Horn and that is where I first set eyes on a Ballard Pacific No.5 in .40-90 Ballard Everlasting. I have not been quite "right" ever since. :laughing:

Powder Horn in Forest Grove was a cool shop. It was 5 minutes from home when I lived in Forest Grove. That plus Al's Gunshop in Verboort, he was one of the better gunsmiths in the north valley. One of my favorite gun shops was called Willamette Valley Arms, they didn't last long, 2-3 years. Run by a handful of retired and active cops and military. Best prices around on most stuff, and they were the shop my wife even felt at ease in. They helped her piece together *her* AR, and pick a sight that worked best for her. She got her first M&P Shield from them. I bought a bunch of stuff from them, and they helped me build a predator hunting AR (when I say build, they were nice enough to install a new barrel and low pro gas block for me when I purchased a handguard from them to replace the A2)

I miss tromping around the north coast and in the coast range and cascades, and camping up in the mountains. The writing was really on the wall with the state going to shit when they raised the fees at the unimproved Forest Service campgrounds from free, to $5, then to $25 a night, and started charging hotel tax on a frickin campsite. Swinging soft hackles for sea runs was always a blast, and the occasional steelhead on a trout rod was a hoot too.

I also miss all those little one horse towns no one ever heard of, I travelled the state a lot as a tow monkey. Never made it to the SE corner of the state though, but went all over the valley, up & down the coast from Bandon to Astoria, NE Oregon, Central Oregon - just never SE. I kept a fly rod stowed under the back seat of the truck along with my get home bag, a blanket and a pillow.

Being a Hillsburritan, I watched it go from a sleepy little farm town to the nerve center of the "Silicone Forest" going from 10k ish people when I was a kid, to 120k ish when we pulled the pin and moved to Texas, and watched all the old farm fields paved over and have Intel, Fujitsu, and WinChip factories planted instead of corn, wheat, or strawberries.

WAA

I ❤️ Texas
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2022
    Slab City
    Always enjoy Paul’s content. I hate to hear of this. I didn’t know he’s from Oregon.

We rode from St Helens to The Dalles then out to Astoria in late October 2021. Everywhere (except Portland) it was sign after sign along the road at businesses, homes, and commercial fishing boats: “LETS GO BRANDON”. We were cracking up.

Shame that the major cities hold such sway.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    Oddly enough, he decided cancer was too depressing and quit. Last I heard he was going to move to some middle state (Kentucky?) and become a small town general practitioner. I was billed over $1000 every time I saw the primary doctor and sometimes that was for 5 minutes.

For the most part, EVERYBODY at M.D. Anderson sees every patient as someone who is about to die. My mother was a nurse at a nursing home and she had to be careful not to like any patients because, like it or not, they are in Heaven's waiting room. So I get why they act the way they do. As a patient, you are nothing but a "medical record number" for most of your time there. (You have to memorize the number and be prepared to recite it before anyone will test your blood pressure, operate on you, feed you, mop the floor, etc.) Now, after you've survived a few years, they suddenly know your name and they'll ask about your family or your pet dog or whatever, like as if you suddenly became human. And the funding people will always tell you how much you are loved and how much more they will love you if you donate lots of money.
    I thought a friend's wife was a bit of a tough bitch, then found out she's a pediatric oncology nurse. I cannot imagine what's she's been through in her line of work.
    He is the YouTube gun daddy - either on the very early edge of Gen X, or the tail of the Boomer generation - but that doesn't matter.

He's a hunter, a dental hygenist, firearms instructor, black powder rifle afficianado, and had a military career, IIRC in both the USMC and Army, finishing up in the Oregon National Guard. He's been a shooting competitor, won a bunch of medals from local matches and military matches, but is not one of the modern tactical gun gamers.

He is famous for his "Shatneresque -- pauses", his spiffy shooting jacket(s), and his Meat Targets (tm) - which are usually made up of pork ribs, pork chops to simulate muscles, a bag of oranges to simulate lung tissue, usually wrapped in a T-shirt and backed by the high-tech fleece bullet stop. His other favorite target is 3 liter Shasta "soda jugs"

He's done some very good presentations on calibers, specific bullet comparisons through various rifles and handguns, he did a good breakdown of the Miami shootout and how maybe the FBI's charge to switch to 10mm was misguided, and tactics played more of a role than caliber failures in that engagement.

He's killed two men in self defense, was arrested in one of those cases and exonorated in court for it (he shot a man in a pickup truck trying to run him and his wife over while they were camping at a very remote state campground in Eastern Oregon before an upcoming black powder shooter event - he used, IIRC, an A2 style AR15 in that shooting if I remember the court docs and story correctly) - the other killing is very hard to find details of, so I can't speak to that one.

He's a man who likes classic muscle cars, classic (and classy) guns - favoring a .38 Super chambered 1911 over the .45 flavor - and isn't some wokester, tactical Ted, or fudd who hates anything modern. Just an all around average guy with a slightly above average background who started making videos teaching some firearms basics and expanded from there. A plain spoken man who would probably get along smashingly with most folk on this forum.

He's been on my YouTube watch list for over a decade, longer than any other "content creator" on that site.
    Slightly revised (as appropriate), that ought to be his eulogy!

Eli

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Sadly in Paul's latest video about the Mozambique Drill, he mentioned it could well be his last appearance on camera.

One of his film / editing crew has a Twitter-X account, and has been posting updates as they're available.

goodbye_paul.png

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Pancreatic cancer is scary as hell. When I was 20, I had a friend from Chicago. My friend enlisted in the Navy, partly because their training base was close to home. On his fifth or sixth week of training, he got a message via the red cross that his father was in the hospital. He got emergency leave - and within a week his father was gone from pancreatic cancer. His dad had gone to the doctor because of a weird pain, had no idea he had cancer, then BAM - dead within a week. My friend was a damn emotional mess and wound up with an ELS from it.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Paul comes across so well in his videos- you really feel like you know him. He is so passionate about firearms and combines with his dry sense of humor. He was a good teacher- made the connection. He will be missed.

Not sure his brother got his charisma, but is tough at first to loosen up in front of camera/ World. Big boots to fill.

PopPop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2020
    Leander, Tx
    I am not trying to offend anyone, but I had a strong urge to post a prayer:

Heavenly Father, bless and be with Paul and his family at this season of his life. Comfort him and embrace those around him with Grace, love and unity. I know it is in Your power to heal him, but I also know Your purpose is not always revealed to us. Thank You for Paul’s service to our Nation and community. Let his fellowship and contributions serve as a reminder we are not alone and given life by You to serve others through You. Amen
    Amen

Top Bottom