Hurley's Gold

Panther caught in hog trap, Collin / Fannin County in far north Texas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    What's BLM land?
    Land owned by the Bureau of Land Management. It's federally owned public land. You find a lot of it in western states like CO, UT, and WY. Whats nice about it is its true public lands. You can hunt on it, shoot on it, drive your cattle across it... Whatever you want to do. I've been told that Texas doesn't have any BLM land, but I'd be elated to be disproved. It's one of the things I miss about CO.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    So you wouldn't need the Texas "public land permit to hunt on it just show up and hunt? Or since it's in Texas you still need to obtain the public land permit?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    While I do not disbelieve the story, I do not quite believe it either.

There is no reason whatsoever for a Game Warden to trank a big cat and take it away. They would just shoot it, or more likely tell the trapper to shoot it. They are not protected in Texas. It would help if there were pictures.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I have aways been told that it was BLM land, and honestly, I may be misinformed. I do know that you can hunt on it, but tomorrow, I will call the DPW and find out how the land is registered and give y'all the heads up. BG

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    While I do not disbelieve the story, I do not quite believe it either.

There is no reason whatsoever for a Game Warden to trank a big cat and take it away. They would just shoot it, or more likely tell the trapper to shoot it. They are not protected in Texas. It would help if there were pictures.

I was thinking the same thing. But on the other hand TPWD has taken an interest in mountain lions these past few years and maybe they would trank a big cat to put some kind of locator or something in it. But then they'd let it go to observe. I just can't think of a reason why they would not allow the trapper to take a picture or keep it on the down low. They just wouldn't care enough for a cover up on a big black (likely a chocolate lab kind of dark brown) cat getting stuck in a pig trap. Unless it is an alien that wondered off of the area 51 property and they have been trying to catch it! LOL! But really I think their goal with keeping an eye on the mountain lions has been to figure out if the range of that habitat has expanded, increased, or stayed the same since the last study.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    I called the Clay County Game Warden and his exact words, "It is BLM land, yep, uh huh, BLM land..." So, apparently, there is BLM land in TX... Hope this helps...

BG

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Conspiracy???

lol, not really. I emailed the BLM to see what they have to say, but from looking at this map it doesn't look like there is any BLM land in Texas: GeoCommunicator

O.K. Now the simple panther conspiracy theory just got taken up a level... LOL I was studying the GeoCommunicator map from The Dan's thread above me here and got to looking at the different GIS layers of the map. You can turn the layers off and on to see the "before and after" version. I noticed that every larger lake (Texoma, Lavon, Ray Roberts) is shaded in a pink color that designated it as "DOD" / "Department of defense" property. WTH is up with that?

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    From from what I understand, they were all Army Corps of Engineers projects... maybe that would explain the DoD classification.

But, the game warden's name in Clay County is Eddie Hood. I had the number here, but I guess the wife threw away the number accidently, but if you like you can ask him. the number shouldnt be too hard to find...

BG

Gopher

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Far, far, far North Dallas
    I would love to know. There have been rumors of one in southern Grayson/northern Collin county for years. Our farm is a half mile from Sister Grove creek and I have heard a cat of some kind several times over the years.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    For what it's worth, here's the response I got back from the BLM...

From: Theresa_Herrera@blm.gov [mailto:Theresa_Herrera@blm.gov] On Behalf Of NM_Comments@blm.gov
    Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 12:33 PM
    To: Dan
    Subject: Re: public lands in Texas

Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. There is very little public land in Texas (only about 11,000 acres). This is in Amarillo. BLM manages the mineral estate for Texas. I'm told that most of the land in Texas is in private ownership. You may want to contact the Texas Railroad Commission who I understand handles land questions.

Sincerely,
    Theresa Herrera

Top Bottom