Target Sports

Panther caught in hog trap, Collin / Fannin County in far north Texas...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Anyone hear about this? This is second hand info that I got, just checking to see if anyone else has heard about it.

Supposedly a guy caught a really large panther in a hog trap on Sister Grove creek in north central Collin / southwestern Fannin County. By what I heard it was a man eater sized cat and had half eaten a 200 lb. hog in the trap by the time he was spotted.

Final disposition was ("supposedly") that state officials came out and tranq darted the cat and hauled it away.

Is there somewhere on the TxPWD website where you can research stuff like this?
    Hurley's Gold

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Huh! I don't know. I would think they wouldn't be trying to keep it a secret or anything we used to have panthers and jaguars in all of Texas it's actually part of their native habitat IIRC.

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    FYI - I scrounged around on the TPWD website last night till I found an e-mail directory. I e-mailed of couple of the public contact info. people about it. When I hear back from them I'll update this thread.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    Wow poor puddy-cat!
    He was just out having a fast food meal at the local Hog Zillar.
    Would like to know where they took the cat????

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Last year while out hunting on some BLM land near Byers I was walking the vegatation line right along the Red River and I came up on some big cat tracks and whereever it was going it was going in a hurry. Anyone who says there arent mountain lions in North TX is crazy... crazy, crazy...:p

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I have friends that had a trap near the Red River and went to check it one morning and found a dead deer in it with marks on the neck area. Well they set up a game camera and had pics of a Mountain Lion eating the deer only this time when the cat was done it partially buried the deer.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    A black Panther is just a jaguar without the spots. And the Jaguar used to roam from south America to the Mid West Or something like that, they are rare but in fact it is possible. I have never seen one but I have heard to many accounts from sane sober people to think they aren't real. It is a pigment over abundance I think. anyway I've only seen two real mountain lions in the wild one scared the ever living hell out of me and the other got the same but in reverse he/she showed up to a yote call and saw me and bolted when I tried to get into position for a shot.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Jaguars are supposedly moving back into Texas from Mexico. It'd be nice to have a predator capable of killing hogs. It takes a pack of coyotes to corral a hog.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I've heard that. I've also read a report by TPW that black bears are moving back home as well. I't would be nice to get some of our native preditors back if nothing else just for population control on the pigs. LOL

Hawghauler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    Don't make an Idaho mistake and reintroduce the wolf. Idaho imported an Alaskan wolf and it sport hunts elk, cougar, deer, etc. Devasting our game animals. Bad juju. Most ranchers practice the three S's when/if they see one. Shoot/Shovel/Shut-up.

BurkGlocker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Burkburnett, TX
    Don't make an Idaho mistake and reintroduce the wolf. Idaho imported an Alaskan wolf and it sport hunts elk, cougar, deer, etc. Devasting our game animals. Bad juju. Most ranchers practice the three S's when/if they see one. Shoot/Shovel/Shut-up.

Sometimes its hard for some people to do this... Jsut like the dumb asses who shot the deer in Lucy Park here in Wichita Falls. Poaching is bad, but if you do it, STFU...

Partychief67

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    Fannin County, Texas
    Here is the response from TPWD about the panther rumor...

"None of our Collin County game wardens are aware of this event. If you can provide additional details, I will be happy to pass them along."

steve.lightfoot@tpwd.state.tx.us

Top Bottom