ARJ Defense ad

OK Highway Patrolman Loses suit against Glock....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    OKLAHOMA STATE TROOPER LOSES SUIT AGAINST GLOCK . . . A court has decided against an Oklahoma state trooper who sued Glock for an injury he sustained after he intentionally caused his semiautomatic service pistol to malfunction during a department training exercise. During the exercise, the state trooper was instructed to hold his hand on the slide of his pistol to prevent it from recoiling after being fired. The reason for doing so was to teach the trooper how to handle a situation where his pistol malfunctions, and he must clear it and be ready to reuse it in a short time period. The trooper did as instructed and when his pistol discharged, the trooper's hand was severely injured. The trooper sued Glock, claiming that the pistol was defective and unreasonably dangerous. However, the court saw things differently, finding that Glock could not have reasonably foreseen that its product would be used in the manner which injured the trooper. The trooper's employer has since developed safer ways to train its officers. Representing Glock in this matter were Christopher Renzulli and Edwin Brondo Jr. of the Renzulli Law Firm.

Discuss.....
    Capitol Armory ad

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Hold the slide closed by hand? I'da sued the dude running the class.
    Proper verdict in my opinion.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    well, i take that back. i wouldn't have sued the instructor. it's the trooper's own fault for thinking it was a good idea to put his hand behind the slide of a firing semiauto

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Wait, WTH did he even try to sue glock for that in the first place.

Someone should tell him to hold the slide closed with his forehead.

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    I'm surprised something like this came out of OK. What a shame. I guess this is a testament that this level of stupidity and "sue the shit out of them" mentality can be found anywhere.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    It is very easy to keep the slide in battery while shooting and no it won't injure you unless you give the slide enough room to gain momentum. I can keep the slide locked using only the base of my thumb, support hand, or even my support shoulder. The reason I train on keeping the slide in battery applies in the 0-5 foot realm where you not only have to fight to get to your pistol, but may have to find a way to keep the slide in battery for a contact distance shot. It sounds like the trainee wasn't sure of what was expected or the instructor was not familiar with what he was teaching.

TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    We learned this in Cav Scout school in the Army and there are lots of YouTube videos demonstrating this exact scenario. It is a viable training issue in that if you are in a close combat with a BG and your sidearm is in play, both you and BG have hand on gun when fired, lots of things come into play and knowledge of how to recover (make operable) a semi-auto pistol that has been fired but the slide not allowed to operate fully is life saving.

Still the instructor was doing it wrong obviously and the lawsuit was frivolous.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    bwhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa man!!! they protect us!!! so he never had hammer bite? how in the wide world of sports,
    did he think that was a good idea???? he got what he deserved!!! snap caps, blanks, anything but that

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I've done it with a suppressed Ruger Mk2 to see how much sound difference it would make. Never considered trying it with a full size.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Hold the slide closed by hand? I'da sued the dude running the class.
    Proper verdict in my opinion.

+1 on Verdict.

However he did not want to sue someone in his own department, not a good political move there. Plus Glock has money, probably wanted a juicy settlement from them for him to go away. Kudos to Glock for standing firm.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    It is very easy to keep the slide in battery while shooting and no it won't injure you unless you give the slide enough room to gain momentum. I can keep the slide locked using only the base of my thumb, support hand, or even my support shoulder. The reason I train on keeping the slide in battery applies in the 0-5 foot realm where you not only have to fight to get to your pistol, but may have to find a way to keep the slide in battery for a contact distance shot. It sounds like the trainee wasn't sure of what was expected or the instructor was not familiar with what he was teaching.
    This

Also if the gun is pointed at the GG only one shot can be fired w/o further manipulation. That may be the difference needed to survive.

For those of you that haven't done this exercise, you should so you know what to expect.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You're always welcome long as you don't flirt with LG too much(I ain't got much goin for me and can't compete).

Next week I'm on call but we have been pretty slow with call outs, week after I'm off call again.

Might be able to whip up some BBQ if its on a weekend.

Top Bottom