APOD Firearms

Neighborly muzzle device for indoor use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SaintTim

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2024
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hello. I'm new to the rifle game and building out an AR-15 now. I've heard some mixed things about muzzle brakes indoors as far as concussion and noise. I know that you should realize what you're signing up for going to a range, but if I want to shoot a good amount every week without ruffling too many feathers, what's a good option short of a suppressor? (I'm all for that, but there's going to be a lead time obviously)

Would something as simple as an A2 bird cage be the go-to? Thank you.
    Target Sports

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Anything indoors is going to be loud. Period. Short of a suppressor anyway. If you look a bit, most places that offer muzzle devices sell a linear muzzle break that directs most of the noise and gasses forward and down range. I have 2 of them and they seem to work. They do seem to direct most of the noise down range. Indoors? YMMV
    However,, I had to take one off. It was throwing my groups off making them inconsistant. When I took it off, they closed up a lot.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    It's going to be loud no matter what you do. What you're looking for is called a blast diverter or flash can. Like @jrbfishn said, they focus the blast and sound down range. If you're going to be using indoor ranges regularly, I would suggest doubling up on the earpro and don't be surprised when the guy next to you starts mag dumping his 7.5 inch braked AR.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Hello. I'm new to the rifle game and building out an AR-15 now. I've heard some mixed things about muzzle brakes indoors as far as concussion and noise. I know that you should realize what you're signing up for going to a range, but if I want to shoot a good amount every week without ruffling too many feathers, what's a good option short of a suppressor? (I'm all for that, but there's going to be a lead time obviously)

Would something as simple as an A2 bird cage be the go-to? Thank you.
    There is no good option short of a suppressor. Bite the bullet and get a good one and dont look at the dB rating, lots of more important things to look for like full-auto rated, etc

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Never been to an indoor range and not leave with my ears ringing. I wore $100 ear muffs and insert soft ear plugs when needed. Stopped the indoor thing years ago. Oh and they get mad when you pick up your brass.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Even with a can it's going to be loud when indoors. Depending on the environment, that could be sufficient sound reduction to not annoy your neighbors, but it's not like they won't be able to hear it at all if their house is close. Honestly need to know more about your environment to try and determine what recommendations makes sense.

HKaltwasser

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I haven't used this one but PWS makes good brakes, or a blast cone like someone else said.

unicom

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2016
    It's going to be loud no matter what you do. What you're looking for is called a blast diverter or flash can. Like @jrbfishn said, they focus the blast and sound down range. If you're going to be using indoor ranges regularly, I would suggest doubling up on the earpro and don't be surprised when the guy next to you starts mag dumping his 7.5 inch braked AR.

This would be the next best thing short of a suppressor. And I had a paper target cut in half from the blast from the 7.5 inch braked AR guy. As well as brakes on carbine/rifle AR’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    The bottom line is there is a lot of energy coming out of the muzzle. Unless contained in a suppressor that energy will get reflected around by the walls and hit your ears and the ears of anyone in the room no matter what muzzle device you pick. Brake, A2 birdcage, flash can, bare... it doesn't matter inside.

There is suppressed and unsuppressed, end of story.

Suppressors are not that expensive, just a lot of waiting... get one.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Put a muzzle brake on your 5.56 and everyone at the range is gonna absolutely hate you.
    I have A2 on my 16” and 10”, and I have no desire to replace them with anything but cans.
    However, I’m not buying cans as far as there’s a ripoff from ATF and vendors.
    Tubes with separators cost $20 in New Zealand’s department stores, sold from baskets, by cash registers.

Attachments

• IMG_9255.png
      IMG_9255.png
      331.5 KB · Views: 19
    • IMG_9254.jpeg
      IMG_9254.jpeg
      20.9 KB · Views: 18
    Last edited:

surevaliance

Make Glockarev happen!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2024
    AZ
    Unless 5.56 is a must, otherwise there are many ARs in .22Lr.
    I have Tippmann M4-22 Micro Elite and it never misses a range day.
    I don’t even have A2 on it, just a thread protector ring.

Top Bottom