• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Method of choice for hogs (multiple choice)

• Bolt rifle

Votes: 10 25.6%
    • Lever rifle

Votes: 5 12.8%
    • Semi-auto rifle

Votes: 24 61.5%
    • Shotgun

Votes: 4 10.3%
    • Handgun

Votes: 6 15.4%
    • Knife

Votes: 2 5.1%
    • Dogs

• Trap

Votes: 6 15.4%
    • Bow

Votes: 1 2.6%
    • Other

• Total voters

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Some of the guys that use dogs will dispatch the hog with a knife, once the dogs got ahold of them.

Done that several times. Serious adrenaline. Bought me and the boy matching knives.

Much more exciting than shooting them.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Real men will jump on their back, rip a tusk out, and stab'em with it.....just sayin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I voted for bolt rifle but have no problem with any method performed in a responsible fashion. Personally, I prefer to dispatch any creature I hunt as fast and painless as possible. I have no desire to hunt with dogs but see it as a natural thing. For those of us who have hunted for years or most of our lives, we all know/understand how a wounded animal can suffer. Although a wild hog is not much different than a rat, I still have no desire to pump lead at em' and hope a few drop. I take precise, aimed shots only and finish them quickly if need be. Traps are very effective but when left unmonitored, allow them to die a slow painful death by starvation which is not my cup o' tea. I'm also not cocky enough to be a headshot only guy. I've heard of way too many eye, face or spine hits that don't do the job on the first squeeze of the trigger. The smaller ones are more fun to shoot with pistols, however my vote is still bolt rifle at virtually any distance within 300 yards.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale

I actually put this together last night with hogs in mind. 6.8 to pop ones at a distance, and the bayonet for the ones that get too close. ;) I need to get a good light for it that will really pierce the darkness. More than likely I'll also have my girlfriend using a handheld spotlight to help spot for me, tho. I suppose if I had to, I could just duct tape the spotlight to the handguard and use it like a vertical grip, lmao... I'll probably get a better red dot for it later, but that one will do just fine for now.

hawg gun.jpg

Top Bottom