• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Method of choice for hogs (multiple choice)

• Bolt rifle

Votes: 10 25.6%
    • Lever rifle

Votes: 5 12.8%
    • Semi-auto rifle

Votes: 24 61.5%
    • Shotgun

Votes: 4 10.3%
    • Handgun

Votes: 6 15.4%
    • Knife

Votes: 2 5.1%
    • Dogs

• Trap

Votes: 6 15.4%
    • Bow

Votes: 1 2.6%
    • Other

• Total voters

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    I don't think we've had a poll on this subject. I figure it would be a great way to visualize the subject... Please vote.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    All of the above. I think they're all fun.

Probably covered by "knife" but spears are also fun and give you a little more safety/distance than just the knife.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    The trap will remove more pigs than all the other options put together. (except other if that counts the chopper) I dont want to hunt hogs, I want them to not be on my ranch.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Some of the guys that use dogs will dispatch the hog with a knife, once the dogs got ahold of them.

deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Some of the guys that use dogs will dispatch the hog with a knife, once the dogs got ahold of them.

I hope I don't offend anyone, but that sickens me. That's really inhumane. Now, that's just me, okay? I'm not gonna start a movement for more humane treatment of hunted animals.

Me, personally... I wouldn't shoot anything unless I'm gonna eat it. Even then, I have to make sure its a brain shot. I'm just too soft.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    Inhumane? They use a BIG knife to the heart. How is that more inhumane than emptying a few magazines of .223 into a pack of hogs, and letting them run off to die? What about the guys that deliberately use gut shots so that the hog does not die near their blind/feeder/house so they don't have to retrieve it?

If anything, hog hunting with knives is one of the most humane methods. It's not like they're stabbing it 2000 times with a nail file.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Dave, not flaming you but its obvious you haven't done much killing in your life. If you had you would be more objective in your comparison before judging.

Taking a head shot is more likely to end up with a wounded animal than a quick, humane knife plunge into a vital artery or heart. Just like shooting, using a blade is a skill that practiced better by some than others. For those that regularly hunt and clean animals it shouldn't be tremendously difficult to do it humanely - just like you'd do when harvesting domestic livestock

deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Inhumane? They use a BIG knife to the heart.

I never knew that. I'm not professing to be an expert; I honestly didn't know they went straight for instant kill.

How is that more inhumane than emptying a few magazines of .223 into a pack of hogs, and letting them run off to die? What about the guys that deliberately use gut shots so that the hog does not die near their blind/feeder/house so they don't have to retrieve it?

Now, that bothers me.

If anything, hog hunting with knives is one of the most humane methods. It's not like they're stabbing it 2000 times with a nail file.

Again, I honestly didn't know. I thought it was a slow, bleeding death.

deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dave, not flaming you but its obvious you haven't done much killing in your life. If you had you would be more objective in your comparison before judging.

True, on both counts.

Taking a head shot is more likely to end up with a wounded animal ....

I disagree. All the rabbits, deer, exotics, and hogs i've shot, I made a quick kill with a headshot. The only game I haven't killed with a headshot is the ones I have mounted, or the ones I have shot with my shotgun.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I disagree. All the rabbits, deer, exotics, and hogs i've shot, I made a quick kill with a headshot. The only game I haven't killed with a headshot is the ones I have mounted, or the ones I have shot with my shotgun.

Well I commend you on picking the right shots that you have mastered, and being responsible.

My family used to sell guided hunts for a living and a lot of people are...well...overconfident in their abilities. It wasn't directed at you personally, just a general comment based on what I've experienced.

deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    ...well...overconfident in their abilities....

I learned that the hard way. Many years ago, before I started cutting back on hunting and started taking more "one-shot-kills", I shot a doe. I aimed for the head. I walked to harvest her, only to find out that the bullet entered the eye and blew out the lower jaw. She was still alive. I was disgusted with myself. Really bothered me for days after that, and to this day, still does somewhat.

Perhaps that traumatic event is what encouraged me to start concentrating on head shots.

deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Don't get me wrong; a head shot isn't always possible. The longest distance I shot, just a bit over 350 yards, was not a head shot, but fortunately, the deer did die quickly. The one trophy buck I have mounted was not a head shot, for obvious reasons.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I thought it was a slow, bleeding death.

You stick 'em low just behind the front shoulder and forward to get right to the heart (I've done it before myself). You probably wouldn't like the part where the catch dogs are tearing the hog up while you're running in for the kill, though.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom