• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Guys, if you're old enough, recall Texas Instruments calculators cost hundreds of dollars when they first came on the market.

Now, you can buy a calculator at Walmart for less the $5.00 and it works perfectly and offers more types of calculations than did the original T.I. calculator.

Same thing has happened with a jillion other products like flat screen televisions. Remember how costly they were when they first hit the market? Now, they're much less costly and better quality to boot.

Same will happen with suppressors.
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Lol

Suppressor tech isn't new. They are cheap everywhere else.

The market has been fucked with via gov regulation. This is in no way similar to TI calculators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Younggun,

I think you're missing my overall point.

I do agree once government gets out of product involvement costs will come down.

I also think innovation is likely if government will get out of the way.

I think suppressors can be improved, though some think it's reached it's ultimate in development.

There's room for further evolution.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Younggun,

I think you're missing my overall point.

I do agree once government gets out of product involvement costs will come down.

I also think innovation is likely if government will get out of the way.

I think suppressors can be improved, though some think it's reached it's ultimate in development.

There's room for further evolution.
    Always room for further development. Either in suppressor technology or on the gun or ammo end.

We may see the end of aftermarket suppressors all together eventually.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    D.

"We may see the end of aftermarket suppressors all together eventually."

Presumably, you mean to be replaced by something superior?

Any speculation as to what?

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    D.

"We may see the end of aftermarket suppressors all together eventually."

Presumably, you mean to be replaced by something superior?

Any speculation as to what?
    Integrated in the barrel is my first thought but who knows.

Future gun powder may make no noise, or at least no boom.

Like any advancement, all it takes is one key piece to change everything.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I don't expect to see silent powder because it would have to not create any pressure.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't expect to see silent powder because it would have to not create any pressure.

So some advancement is necessary?

We got rid of the smoke, spotty ignition and eradicate burning already. Even copper fouling has been eliminated with some new powders.

We are always moving in the right direction.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    So some advancement is necessary?

We got rid of the smoke, spotty ignition and eradicate burning already. Even copper fouling has been eliminated with some new powders.

We are always moving in the right direction.

If it uses a powder propellant there must be expanding gasses. You could slow them down enough to not make noise, but you'd be slowing the bullet down as well.

Gonna have to get away from powder to get away from the boom it makes.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If it uses a powder propellant there must be expanding gasses. You could slow them down enough to not make noise, but you'd be slowing the bullet down as well.

Gonna have to get away from powder to get away from the boom it makes.

While I agree with your basic principle, look at a car engine and all the explosions and noise going on there. Even the noisy diesels from 10+ years ago are whisper quiet now. More power, more efficient, and quieter than ever.

The advancements just can't be predicted.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I believe with diesels the clattering had to do with the injection. The burning (explosion) inside the cylinder is really as loud as ever.

Pull the exhaust manifold off an old and new diesel and see how much difference it makes :)

Basically, cars and trucks have better suppressors now, as well as DPF (diesel phuckup filters), catylitic converters, etc.

The physics that create the sound of a gun firing can only be quieted at the end of the barrel with a muffler. You can't remove the bang without removing the propellant (hot, fast, expanding gasses) that makes the bullet go fast.

It would require a whole new way of propelling the bullet, such as a rail gun as mentioned. Of course, gonna suck trying to in to all those ranges that don't like magnetic bullets.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    The law of supply and demand has happened, frankly I don't know how those silencer companies are staying in business, I am not paying more for a silencer than I paid for my actual rifle/pistol. Sorry, it's not happening. Especially considering I can make one of the damned things for less than 100 bucks. I understand their fabrication and technologies might be expensive for them, but the day the HPA passes you will see me building them in my room for less than 5% of the cost. A large percentage of people I know own guns, none of them own a silencer. Reason? Tax stamp #1 Price #2

Everytime I go into the gunshops they have tons of silencers, and they have a nice little paper that says the current wait time from the ATF is 8 months. That's ridiculous and I'm not dropping 1000 bucks (with the 200 dollar tax stamp included) for a piece of non necessary equipment. It's a novelty frankly and while it might be nice to shoot without ears outside sometime, I'm not paying 4 digits for the luxury. I have custom hearing protection that cost me 60 dollars that is fantastic and I can hear normal conversation quite clearly with it.

GunDok

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2016
    Texas
    I run suppressors in the UK, we can buy a top end all steel QD Suppressor that is full auto rated for the equiv of 500 bucks.
    the best selling .22 suppressor is the SAK, which costs the equiv of 40 bucks.

Im about to move to Tx, and i'm no rush to pay 1k for a can, plus 200 on a tax stamp.....

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The law of supply and demand has happened, frankly I don't know how those silencer companies are staying in business, I am not paying more for a silencer than I paid for my actual rifle/pistol. Sorry, it's not happening. Especially considering I can make one of the damned things for less than 100 bucks. I understand their fabrication and technologies might be expensive for them, but the day the HPA passes you will see me building them in my room for less than 5% of the cost. A large percentage of people I know own guns, none of them own a silencer. Reason? Tax stamp #1 Price #2

Everytime I go into the gunshops they have tons of silencers, and they have a nice little paper that says the current wait time from the ATF is 8 months. That's ridiculous and I'm not dropping 1000 bucks (with the 200 dollar tax stamp included) for a piece of non necessary equipment. It's a novelty frankly and while it might be nice to shoot without ears outside sometime, I'm not paying 4 digits for the luxury. I have custom hearing protection that cost me 60 dollars that is fantastic and I can hear normal conversation quite clearly with it.

Many say this.

And then one day get a suppressor, and a year later realize their rifles without threaded barrels have been collecting dust...

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I believe with diesels the clattering had to do with the injection. The burning (explosion) inside the cylinder is really as loud as ever.

Pull the exhaust manifold off an old and new diesel and see how much difference it makes :)

Basically, cars and trucks have better suppressors now, as well as DPF (diesel phuckup filters), catylitic converters, etc.

The physics that create the sound of a gun firing can only be quieted at the end of the barrel with a muffler. You can't remove the bang without removing the propellant (hot, fast, expanding gasses) that makes the bullet go fast.

It would require a whole new way of propelling the bullet, such as a rail gun as mentioned. Of course, gonna suck trying to in to all those ranges that don't like magnetic bullets.

Maybe not a "whole new way" maybe just not powder or combustion... I get your point regarding the current propellants but there are other chemical reactions than can create extremely rapid expansion, maybe eliminate muzzle flash as well. Sometimes its incremental or just a tweak and not entirely new tech.

That's what I like about this place, interesting thoughts in the oddest places.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Many say this.

And then one day get a suppressor, and a year later realize their rifles without threaded barrels have been collecting dust...

Look I get it, they're fun to shoot with, but I am just not dropping the equivalent of 2 guns worth of money on a can. It's not economically rational behavior.

Top Bottom