• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Yeah I’m in the market now. Looking for a “Deal”. Delivery will be a plus. I unloaded and had my last one on a dolly when my buddies finally showed up to help me put it in the house (had to use a motor hoist to lift it off the trailer). I’m not doing that again. I can’t do it 100% alone and I hate depending on buddies for things like this.
    Lynx Defense

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I'll say it again, be aware that Cannon indicates it has a lifetime warranty. That is a lie. A couple of years after I bought a Cannon, it failed to open. Couldn't figure out why. Several people tried it (yes we had the correct combination) but couldn't get it to unlock. I called Cannon and they said that wasn't covered (whaaat?). They refused to do anything. We finally got it to open and never really knew what had caused the problem. Several people tried it so I can't say it might have been "operator error".

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Cannon warranty issues:
    From the first review I see on that site:
    Cannon said I can pay them $40 for a master reset...
    How many folks are comfortable with there being a "master reset" floating around out there? I've never known a default password that didn't escape containment, allowing anyone to use it.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'll say it again, be aware that Cannon indicates it has a lifetime warranty. That is a lie. A couple of years after I bought a Cannon, it failed to open. Couldn't figure out why. Several people tried it (yes we had the correct combination) but couldn't get it to unlock. I called Cannon and they said that wasn't covered (whaaat?). They refused to do anything. We finally got it to open and never really knew what had caused the problem. Several people tried it so I can't say it might have been "operator error".
    Plastic tumblers.( or the piece that goes behind the dial)Same issue with mine. Finally got it open and had a locksmith come to the house and replace the locking mechanism with a S&G high end lock( manual not electric) best $275 I have spent on a safe. They were the ones that clued me in on the plastic wearing out on the cannon safes.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Plastic tumblers.( or the piece that goes behind the dial)Same issue with mine. Finally got it open and had a locksmith come to the house and replace the locking mechanism with a S&G high end lock( manual not electric) best $275 I have spent on a safe. They were the ones that clued me in on the plastic wearing out on the cannon safes.
    Sounds exactly like what may have happened! Didn't get mine replaced but if it ever happens again I will get it replaced by a high end lock. Thanks for your input!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Sounds exactly like what may have happened! Didn't get mine replaced but if it ever happens again I will get it replaced by a high end lock. Thanks for your input!

Is it possible that if it happens again, you'll need to have the door drilled?

Maybe it should be done as a preemptive.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    S&G's website shows how to replace a lock. It doesn't look to be hard. I have one with an electronic lock with key backup, another with a mechanical lock, and another SAFE with mechanical lock, Melink brand. I like the mechanical but the one most used is the electronic version. It has the range guns in it. The other two have seldom used guns and ammo.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There is the wisdom I was looking for;)

Just fun'n bud

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Not if. When. I ignored mine and thought the problem went away. I got lucky getting it open the next time. If they had had to drill it to open it it would have been another $200. It will happen again. Cheaper and easier to replace it if the door is open.
    If you choose to wait, what I did to get it open and save $200, was take a 4lb rubber mallet and knock the shit out of the area around the dial, try the combo, and repeat.
    This is what the locksmith suggested with the caveat that it only works about half the time.

Last edited:

festering

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    sw houston
    I bought a Cannon safe about 12 years ago. It had a S&G electronic lock. Last year sometimes after entering combination, the audible click was not as loud as usual and would not open. It always opened on second try. I called Cannon and they sent me a new lock, no charge, within a few days.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I bought a Cannon safe about 12 years ago. It had a S&G electronic lock. Last year sometimes after entering combination, the audible click was not as loud as usual and would not open. It always opened on second try. I called Cannon and they sent me a new lock, no charge, within a few days.

How did you get the safe open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    I replaced the electronic lock on my Liberty with a S & G manual combination lock.
    I didn't want to deal with a safe I couldn't open if it failed when I really needed to get inside.
    Oh, yeah... my career was electronics.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've been quite pleased with my Ft Knox safes. The oldest is about 16 years old now, electronic lock - never an issue other than the battery dying every 3 or so years. It's a piece of cake to replace, so no complaints there. Although at the rate I'm going, safe #6 isn't too far down the road......lol

Top Bottom