• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasEric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2017
    Houston
    We are in the midst of some financial issues currently, I suspect this will be over in the next month or 2.
    I will be looking for a quality gun safe for a few handguns, rifles, Nfa items, and documents. It needs to be large/heavy enough not to be carried off by one or 2 guys easily.
    What recommendations do you have, and where to buy it? I was aiming for a holiday purchase to save some cash.
    Target Sports

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The 45# barbell weights are easy to come by. I've weighted a truck tool box sitting on the ground with some. Wrapped it with a chain too. With everything in the box, I'd guess it was in the 300-400# range. Enough to slow down somebody from walking or dragging it off.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    All a safe is is a time delay device. It's only job is to slow down someone trying to defeat it. You can expect somewhere between 20mins to a couple of hours of delay time. Depending on their motivation.

So a safe in a house. 1-2mins to breech the front door or a window. Another 1-2mins to locate the safe. Then 30mins to bust the safe open.

All in all it'll give maybe 45mins to detect and stop the person trying to get into it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    At least I can yell at the thieves on my cameras as they are breaking into the house, and through the one on my safe, lol.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    thats what I like about my 25 year old cannon safe. 1/4 steel body and door. Its a friggin monster to move. Last time I used a 800# rated dolly and bent the axle lol and the safe was empty

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I like my Cannon. Got a deal on it about15-20 yrs. ago. It's got a dial rather than a pad but that doesn't bother me. The only issue I had was a few years ago that it just didn't want to open. I called Cannon, they gave me the run-around about the so called "Lifetime Warrantee"! We went back and forth for an hour, etc. They refused to do anything! Don't buy a Cannon unless you do so understanding that their warrantee does NOT EXIST.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    when my cannon did that sometimes you had to enter the combo several times to get it to catch.

I went on ebay got a new dial and "lock mechanism" I want to say it was in the 60 buck range and came with the key to program any combo you want into it. Took an hour or 2 for me to install it. Locksmith wanted 350 just to come out and look lol.

Moral of the story if your safe starts acting up fix it before you are locked out.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I went on ebay got a new dial and "lock mechanism" I want to say it was in the 60 buck range and came with the key to program any combo you want into it. Took an hour or 2 for me to install it.
    thanks for posting that, I didn't know one could do that. One of mine is acting finicky - dial stickiness and slight creep in the combo numbers.

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I prefer mechanical locks. Look for a S&G lock on a safe
    Cabelas has some nice lines of safes made by Liberty. I went with the provault and I wish I went bigger. Opening my safe is comical. It is stuffed full of shit that would have fit easier into a larger safe.

Buy once cry once

Top Bottom