• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Single shot ranged at 587 yards. Just for those who speak about the ethics of shots of longer than 100 yards, I can keep all shot on a 5" target at 600 yards.

Everything went smoothly, well except bullet expansion. (more on that later). Even with poor expansion he went down in less than 20'.

The shot took him slightly quarting away. The impact shattered his left fron shoulder, popped his lungs, and nicked the heart on the way out. The exit wound was a pathetic 30 caliber.

9.22.2012.jpg
    Hurley's Gold

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nice shot, I always preferred a bullet that held together well and left a small exit wound, less wasted meat. But as long as it drops then its good.

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Nice shot, I always preferred a bullet that held together well and left a small exit wound, less wasted meat. But as long as it drops then its good.

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks I like my bullets to expand and stay in one peice. I have had very mixed results with this brand of bullet. Sometimes it acts like a solid (not good), sometimes it mushrooms as advertised (very good), and sometimes it is quite explosive (super bad).

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Nice shooting.

You have to be selective with bullets. Bullets are designed to expand at certain velocities. Too fast (short distance) and they will grenade. Too slow (long shot) and they won't expand at all. Now this is based on the same muzzle velocities but at different ranges. Different quality bullets have different tolerences. Better bullets have a bigger sweet spot and will expand reliably at a bigger range of velocities.

You have to be careful listening to people complain about poor bullet performance while shooting game at 60 yards with their .300 Win Mag. This is why.

I suspect your bullet didn't expand because it was going too slow at that distance. I am just guessing as I have no idea what your bullet and caliber are.

deafdave

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Single shot ranged at 587 yards. Just for those who speak about the ethics of shots of longer than 100 yards, I can keep all shot on a 5" target at 600 yards.

Everything went smoothly, well except bullet expansion. (more on that later). Even with poor expansion he went down in less than 20'.

The shot took him slightly quarting away. The impact shattered his left fron shoulder, popped his lungs, and nicked the heart on the way out. The exit wound was a pathetic 30 caliber.

Of all the game I have taken in the Texas Hill Country, Aoudad is by far my favorite meat. Delicious!!!

By the way, what caliber did you use?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Screw all that expansion, velocity, distance, et. al. mumbo jumbo.
    What the hell is a aoudad!?!?!?

Where (geographically) did you take it?

BTW: j/k on the 1st part

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011

The only people that complain about long range kill shots are people that can't make a long range kill shot!

Nice shot.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Thanks all. Aoudad is an African mountain animal. Some call it a Barbary sheep, but it is a type of goat not a sheep.

Yes Aoudad is some of the finest eating game meat I have had. Not quite as good as Axis or Sika, but better than Elk.

I used a 30.06, pushing a 150 Barnes TTSX at 3100fps. As to the performance of these bullits, I will start a new thread tonight when I get home. The photos are on my home computer and really document the wild split personality of these pills better than I can describe.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    More info on the rifle please.

It is a "cheap $299" Weatherby Vanguard. Back before SW closed the Round Rock store I spend half a day opening boxes with one of the gun counter guys. We found one rifle that had a cloverleaf test target. I thought to myself; Self if this rifle can shoot a one hole 3 shot group with crap ammo, I bet it can do wonders with a little work and a good load workup.

I was right. I replaced the Bushnell that was part of the package with a Zeiss Conquest 3X9, and recrowned the barrel. Other than burning tons of ammo working up the best load thats all I have done to the rifle. When I do my part it will make tiny little one hole 5 shot groups at 100 yards.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I don't believe that. You used a $4000 custom rifle with a $2000 40x scope from a bench. And a 30.06 won't shoot that far anyways. Tell us the truth now..........

Just messing with you. Do the work and the rewards will be great.

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    ^^^ Troof.

Mad props for the excellent shot.

But to be honest, I thought he used a 9mm carbine.

458Lott

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Midland, Texas
    I don't believe that. You used a $4000 custom rifle with a $2000 40x scope from a bench. And a 30.06 won't shoot that far anyways. Tell us the truth now..........

LMAO... Its amazing how many people REALLY DO think that way. I've had bad results with some bullets but never the Barnes TSX. Really curious on the load, conditions etc. Always had great expansion and weight retention.

Top Bottom