• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    I have been seeing some frequency on small foxes near our house in the evening. They are just a bit larger than a cat in size. But what concerns me is that we have small toddlers and kids playing in our street.
    Is there a procedure to take or remove them since they are wild and hard to catch or even spot sometimes ? Or just take them down with a .22 and inform animal control ?
    DK Firearms

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    If be really careful killing a fox. Those thing are one of the tree hugger's holy grail. Unless you can prove you're losing livestock.

If you're in town. I'd just call animal control.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If be really careful killing a fox. Those thing are one of the tree hugger's holy grail. Unless you can prove you're losing livestock.

If you're in town. I'd just call animal control.

There is no state or federal law against shooting a fox, they have the same legal protection as a coyote.

City limits changes everything.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Check with your city animal people. Trapping such pests may not be against the law, but releasing them in other areas might be.

Where I live (Keller) if there are such pest around our area, I just go down to animal control, they lend out live capture traps suitable in size for what you want to catch, and when you do catch it, they come, pick it up and do their thing with it. I've caught 2 opossums that way.

As already said, shooting, even with a pellet gun, is not allowed in most cities.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    You can hit it with your car.

But really though, like said above if you are in city limits you have to go through their channels. As for city ordinances about what types of projectile flingers you can use, check your city site. Over here air & pellet rifles are allowed with stipulations on distances to domiciles and general direction of fire rules. As for using a pellet or air rifle to take down a fox...well, the right velocity, right type of ammo, right placement...super hesitant maybe but I'm erring on no. Overall long answer short, go with live traps provided by your city crew or let them know and they'll work their magic.

As for hitting animals with vehicles, where we are we have a coyote population that has started to creep up into the neighborhoods from the lake lands. The other day a big coyote, the size of a large german shepard got hit on the main road through here. In fact I almost hit it myself. Anyway, it happens. Keep your small pets protected, same for kids and keep your eyes peeled. When predators lose fear and start chasing domestic prey they are a threat.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I'm gonna go with using whatever city device you can. I have no problems with dispatching critters but the legality can get pretty fuzzy in city limits. If the city will take care of it let them.

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Thanks for the information guys. I learned a bit in this post. I don't see any foxes in my neighborhood but we have a coyote problem ever since they built the PGB. Little critters started coming into the neighborhood. Gal from animal control lives down the street from me. I'll ask her what the city's recommendation is.

Makes walking the dog interesting in the evenings.

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32
    Oh yeah. Counties are offering $30-60 for the pair. I know people that will stop on the road to cut the ears of some road kill coyotes. They carry baggies in the truck just for them.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Foxes will not attack people unless they are sick with rabies. They are wary, yet sociable animals. They do like to eat kitty cats when they can. They will stalk cats in the same way cats stalk mocking birds. Foxes should not be hunted for any reason unless they are sick. They are much like rattlesnakes, they eat all the vermin they can find. They rid us of rats, mice, and thereby enhance our quality of life.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    I would doubt very seriously that small foxes will cause any harm to property or small children.
    This.
    If you are really worried about it, set your house cat on it. The fox will run. They are about the most skittish animal in N America.

They're not big enough to be interested in children. Coyotes are a different story all together.
    Again, the fox will cause no harm to a human, they might harm the local mice perhaps, but not people.

Part of the interest in (non canned) fox hunting is they are so hard to find. They dont run at the sight, sound, or smell of a threat, they run at the implication of a threat.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This.
    If you are really worried about it, set your house cat on it. The fox will run. They are about the most skittish animal in N America.

Again, the fox will cause no harm to a human, they might harm the local mice perhaps, but not people.

Part of the interest in (non canned) fox hunting is they are so hard to find. They dont run at the sight, sound, or smell of a threat, they run at the implication of a threat.

I've seen quite a few fox dens in the woods, but I've only seen two foxes. Both times from inside a car.

Coyotes I've walked up on before, though...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    D54G
    Top Bottom