• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    There's a lot of food products that are labeled as containing bioengineered ingredients as well. Better keep an eye on what we eat, and like that saying goes, if you can't pronounce it, don't eat it.
    <>

I never understood the “advantages” bio-engineered foods, anyway.

<>

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Mayonnaise, named for its place of origin Port (ex-Fort) Mahon or Majon, is easy to make for yourself.

Here is a recipe from web: https://www.allrecipes.com/article/making-mayonnaise/

Mom would add a 1/2 teasp mustard powder, a pinch white pepper, & a few drops garlic juice.

BTW, The “A”in the first sylable is silent, as thy name originated in blended French & Spanish place names.

Say “My-O”; not “MAY-O”.

For more than you want to know, from WIKI:

History​

Mayonnaise is a French cuisine appellation that seems to have appeared for the first time in 1806. The hypotheses invoked over time as to the origin(s) of mayonnaise have been numerous and contradictory. Most hypotheses do however agree on the geographical origin of the sauce, Mahón, in Menorca, Spain.[6][7][8] Other theories have been dismissed by some authors as being somewhat a retrospective invention aiming to credit the sauce as an invention of south-western France, when most likely, its origin can be found in the port city of Menorca.[9]

According to Émile Littré, it may have come from Mahón, capital of Menorca, in the Balearic Islands, Spain, occupied by the English at the time and then conquered by the Duc de Richelieu in 1756. His cook would have presented him with this sauce, called the "mahonnaise" ;several versions of similar sauces existed in France and in Spain.

Mayonnaise sauce may have its origins in the ancient remoulade. Another hypothesis is that mayonnaise is derived from aioli.[6] Finally, the process of emulsifying egg yolk was known for a long time to pharmacists, who used it to prepare ointments and salves. Some have pointed out that it would make sense that mayonnaise originated in Spain given its requirement of olive oil, a liquid produced and consumed mostly there at the time.[10] This hypothesis is similar to another that places the origins of French fries in Spain using the same rationale.[11][12][13]

Remoulade sauce was known for a long time and there were hot and cold versions of it. In both cases, the base was oil, vinegar, salt, herbs, often other ingredients such as capers or anchovies, and then mustard; in short, it was an enriched vinaigrette.

In 1750, Francesc Roger Gomila, a Valencian friar, published a recipe for a sauce similar to mayonnaise in Art de la Cuina ('The Art of Cooking').

On April 18, 1756, the Duke of Richelieu invaded Menorca and took the port of Mahon, upon his return to France made the sauce famous in the French court.[18] which would have been known as mahonnaise .

In 1815 Antonin Carême mentions a cold "magnonaise" emulsified with egg yolk. The word "mayonnaise" is attested in English in 1815.[26]

Auguste Escoffier wrote that mayonnaise was a French mother sauce of cold sauces,

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    … I’m still scratchin my head trying to figure why anyone would use anything other than Duke’s.

It’s keto-friendly with zero carbs and tastes deeelicious!

IMG_4922.jpeg

IMG_4923.jpeg

Soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    … I’m still scratchin my head trying to figure why anyone would use anything other than Duke’s.

View attachment 392828
    View attachment 392829

Soybean oil, eggs, water, distilled and cider vinegar, salt, oleoresin paprika, natural flavors, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.
    That is what I use and tell others about it.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    For sure.
    I’ve replaced most cooking oils with avocado oil. Higher smoke point than olive oil, works great to season my flatttop griddle and cast-iron pan also.
    I save rendered fat from other meals for general stuff like that, but I do keep some avocado oil and olive oil on hand if I need something liquid at room temp.

Also make my own mayo with it. Takes like 30sec with the immersion blender. Duck egg avocado mayo ;)

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013

View attachment 392828
    View attachment 392829

Because soybean oil is terrible for you..highly oxidized..seed oil..nasty vile crap thats why I would not eat that

Last edited:
    Top Bottom