• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wegriffin8642

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Houston
    Growing up motorcycles were against the rules. Now, almost 40 years later, I'd like to ride. Have an MSI Basic Rider course October 8th. I assume, if they don't scare me off a bike, a bike will be purchased.

I have a friend that goes on weekend jaunts, whenever possible for 3 - 5 hrs., I'm a big guy, don't need the speed but would like to keep up with his Harley Street Glide.

The Street Glide is my buddies 3rd bike, He started with a honda 750 cruzer, then a Dyna Glide and feels he went too small till this one.

Ok, so I've been looking at Victory bikes, Hondas, and Harleys with no love for one over the other. What would you all recommend? Oh, and I love black out\ denim black bikes.

Budget would be around 10k max.

Where are you taking the course?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The Victory Vision is un-dumpable. Too bad it looks like a spaceship.

LOL, bull. That bike would have tipped off those little feet if he'd actually dropped it.

Those things look like they'd could wind up making a bad situation worse if you managed to low-side. If they work as advertised, your tires might get a bite as you're sliding sideways.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    LOL, bull. That bike would have tipped off those little feet if he'd actually dropped it.

Those things look like they'd could wind up making a bad situation worse if you managed to low-side. If they work as advertised, your tires might get a bite as you're sliding sideways.

Nah, it works. Here's another vid. Now if you low side, sh*t could get pretty wild. (well it definitely will no matter what) But it could keep the bike off your leg. I low sided in the rain, and I have no idea why my leg was not a greasy spot on the road... I did get some real nasty burns from the pipes though.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I can relate to motorcycles being against the rules. To make matters worse the kid across the street always had them, from minibikes on up. :(

Don't remember how it was allowed but at 15 I got my first street Zuki, a '76 250 Ram Air. Later a RM125 and last a '82 GS1100EZ. After about $2500 in go-faster mods, the GS was stolen and I was heartbroken. @ 3 weeks later she was returned. Clearly it had been sitting outside because it was rusty but returned! There was a Bud beer box torn apart and a note written on the inside and taped to the tank. Something about 'sorry dude, I really needed a ride. PS, nice bike'. Sometime later the bank of Mikunis were stolen and I was broke so I sold it. As I type this I remember some how riding that 500lb beast up to a 2nd story apartment to lock it! To this day I maintain my CM status in hopes of having another.

/self indulgent story time

Your going to love riding. On the right road with the right weather, pure therapy in a pair of grips - mostly the right one! Good luck with it all.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I lay down my Honda Rebel in front of an entire group of Police Academy cadets. talk about embarrassing. they were doing your morning run and I hit a patch of gravel while making a left turn and laid the bike down right in front of them. Lol

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I can relate to motorcycles being against the rules. To make matters worse the kid across the street always had them, from minibikes on up. :(

Don't remember how it was allowed but at 15 I got my first street Zuki, a '76 250 Ram Air. Later a RM125 and last a '82 GS1100EZ. After about $2500 in go-faster mods, the GS was stolen and I was heartbroken. @ 3 weeks later she was returned. Clearly it had been sitting outside because it was rusty but returned! There was a Bud beer box torn apart and a note written on the inside and taped to the tank. Something about 'sorry dude, I really needed a ride. PS, nice bike'. Sometime later the bank of Mikunis were stolen and I was broke so I sold it. As I type this I remember some how riding that 500lb beast up to a 2nd story apartment to lock it! To this day I maintain my CM status in hopes of having another.

/self indulgent story time

Your going to love riding. On the right road with the right weather, pure therapy in a pair of grips - mostly the right one! Good luck with it all.

That's an old school monster. Someone stole your carbs? WTF? The jets in mine would always gum up... I got to where I could pull the carbs, dip and rebuild them in about an hour.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    No need to call me an old man! That just ain't right. How about a ban here ^^^ mods?

Not worth typing the whole damn story but yea, the carbs were stolen as a complete set. :(
    And, I didn't have them long enough to gum up, even once!

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    You don't have to be an old man to own a GS. (well maybe if you bought it new...) I bought mine in 2001. Great first bike. I miss it. But alas it is no more.

gs850.jpg

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    houston is a very dangerous place to ride. get away from town on your rides until you get a feel for the brakes and handling.
    new middle-aged riders are a big part of the fatality stats

Top Bottom