• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >
    I’m what everyoe would consider an “Old Jeep’er”, having driven them 65+ years, and owned one continuously over 45 years.

One must understand, up-front, that there are two very different lines of Jeeps. When we outdoor types think “Jeep”, it is the mental picture of the WWII Willis and its descendants or clones.

But, persistent and devious marketers continually confuse the Public with absurd claims that their luxury vehicles from Fiat/Chrysler/Jeep can and do offer the same off-road performance as a “Jeep” Jeep.

That as been disproved, “laid LIE to” so many times over. If you want or need JEEP performace, you must get a Jeep. Even much more expensive Euro or Asian substitutes fail repeatedly.

Yes, our Jeeps have improved in many ways: electronic ignitions, widened tacks, factory offered & installed suspension variants, better tires, etc.

How many times did we venture into the Davis Mountains, Big Bend, or far-from pavement Padre Island with a “Cherokee” or Suburban towing an old CJ or TJ, only to return later with the CJ towing the Cherokee by strap, chain, or rope ?

leVieux

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Dear Hearts,

One hasn’t really had fun with changing leaded spark plugs until they are faced with the massive water-cooling manifold jackets on a big gasoline Marine V8, while lying on stern deck in scalding sun on a rolling boat at sea. Blistered forearms, even with the proper extension tools. Oh; and, man; don’t you dare drop a plug into the bilges.

BillM

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2021
    TX
    2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee

I'd like to find the no good sonofabitch that designed this..
    You gotta take the air cleaner completely out and it's still virtually impossible..hand and wrist all scraped to hell..and the passenger side is worse..have to loosen the ECM from its mount. You can't really see anything it's done by feel.

View attachment 339936

View attachment 339937
    I worked on that crap for nearly 40 years and most of it is designed like that. They don't want YOU to fix it! I was sent to a Chrysler automatic transmission school once and they had a dodge ram truck on a lift. I asked the engineer why they put the exhaust pipe right under the transmission pan so you had to take the exhaust off to drop the pan. He just glared at me and refused to speak to me. Talk about an arrogant prick!

Then In another class the instructor was talking about a certain problem with a 604 transaxle. I told him the switch valve was stuck. He ignored me and talked about this problem for at least an hour, going over oil circuit diagrams and oil pressures and stuff. No one else in the class had much experience with automatic transmissions besides me and none of them knew what he was talking about. He concluded that the switch valve must be stuck. No one learned anything.

Last edited:

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I had a 2006 jeep GC at one time and it was a pain to do anything in the engine bay. My 2006 TJ was a dream to work on.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    The '08 Chevy dually my uncle had required removing the tire, wheel liner, and front bumper to change a headlight bulb. I managed to swap it in 5 minutes by fishing it out with a chisel and nail puller.

My '16 Ford dually only requires to pop the top of the grill loose to get to the bolts to remove the whole headlight assembly and swap the bulb. Haven't had to change one in my '21 yet but I hope it's as easy.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    Saw a Ford diesel that had to have the cab removed to change out the back injectors. My Uncle had a Caddy that required the engine be lifted to remove a couple of spark plugs.
    1661092967354.jpeg

Did the same on mine when we did some motor work and upgrades, Easier to pull the cab then the motor.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Wife needed the headlamp assemblies replaced on her 2008 Nissan Altima, because they were clouded over pretty bad. When we found out the front bumper cover had to come off to replace them, we took it to a body shop!

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Replacing the battery on my daughter-in-law's 2016 Dodge Journey required removing the driver's side front tire and forward wheel well liner. We gladly let Firestone tackle the job.
    c66f4b664c5cb326ad9cf4048309603a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk
    To get the battery out of my wife’s Escape you need to pull off both wiper arms, and I thought that was bad, I feel a little better now.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    There are some things about my 2002 F150 that really bother me. Sometimes I think about selling it.

Y'all are convincing me I should hang on to it. At least when something goes wrong I can usually see what's broken.
    The replacement would likely be worse. I'm convinced the designers work to make it impossible for the average person to accomplish anything beyond a routine task.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I think someone worked very hard to make it difficult for the average person to maintain their vehicle.

Absolute truth. Starting about 20 years ago, more and more cars were designed to discourage the owner from doing any repairs or maintenance themselves, and some have even succeeded in making it flat-out impossible. This is a strategy to drive revenue back to the dealerships. Most cars now, when you open the hood all you can see is a molded plastic engine cover that hides everything. Parts like the starter and alternator that used to be readily accessible are now buried below and behind the engine. My old Lexus SUV that my son now drives requires you to remove the right front tire and inner wheel well to access all of the pullies you have to wind the serpentine belt around if it needs to be replaced. The headlight bulbs are a little difficult to replace. The taillights? Once you remove the interior trim back there, there's about a 4x4" opening you have to reach into, apply force to turn the housing, and get new bulbs into.

These are not poor design choices or engineers who don't know any better. This is a concerted effort to remove our ability to do the work ourselves.

Top Bottom