• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    To get a battery out of a BMW 745li I very literally had to take out the back seat. Then I soon discovered only the dealer could reset the system and make all the electronic garbage work.
    My Niece had a newer VW beetle and needed a bulb replaced the dealer charged $240 fixture and $400 labor. She thought it was high so about a week later she text me and told me the story. She sold the car that week.
    My first car was a 73 Bug for which I paid $600.00. After disconnecting the three wiring harnesses and the fuel line- Four bolts and the motor was out.

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Replacing the battery on my daughter-in-law's 2016 Dodge Journey required removing the driver's side front tire and forward wheel well liner. We gladly let Firestone tackle the job.
    c66f4b664c5cb326ad9cf4048309603a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A536U1 using Tapatalk
    That's nothing. This one is my own doing so I get to kick my own ass. My RX7 takes about 6 hours to swap the battery. I have the battery mounted behind the passenger seat inside one of the original storage bins nice and discreet. To remove the battery, you have to remove both seats, center console, jack up car and remove rear wheels, unbolt roll bar mounts, remove roll bar, remove b pillars, remove rear bins, and you will find a 16 year old Optima red top that is still turning my motor over.

I dread the day

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    I built a sweet kick only HD motor and trans hard tail chopper that had six wires. If the back pressure kicked or you missed the compression stroke entirely, you were limping for a week. These days that’d put me on the surgery table. It was beautiful in its simplicity though.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    That's nothing. This one is my own doing so I get to kick my own ass. My RX7 takes about 6 hours to swap the battery. I have the battery mounted behind the passenger seat inside one of the original storage bins nice and discreet. To remove the battery, you have to remove both seats, center console, jack up car and remove rear wheels, unbolt roll bar mounts, remove roll bar, remove b pillars, remove rear bins, and you will find a 16 year old Optima red top that is still turning my motor over.

I dread the day
    Oh I bet. Call me. I’ll bring the beer and watch

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Pontiac had a sunbird or sunfire years ago that to change the two back spark plugs on the V8, it was necessary to pull the engine. This usually happened once and then the firewall was modified.
    I had a 2004 Nissan Murano with a V6 where the back 3 plugs to get to them you have to take off the intake manifold.
    That was above my level. of comfort in my mechanical skill so I took it to a mechanic.

GasGuzzler

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2018
    Cooke County, TX
    Coworker had to pay the dealer ~$500 to get the headlight bulb replaced on her Traverse. Engineer husband couldn’t do it because the front bumper had to be removed to access the back of the housing. She ended up having them all replaced while they had the bumper off because it was just a few bucks more to have them all replaced. Same deal on the neighbor‘s Caddy
    You do not have to remove the bumper on a Traverse unless you are replacing the actual housings. The bulbs are done through the wheel wells.
    I had a 2004 Nissan Murano with a V6 where the back 3 plugs to get to them you have to take off the intake manifold.
    That was above my level. of comfort in my mechanical skill so I took it to a mechanic.
    This is not uncommon. Many V6 engines need the intake manifold removed for one bank of plugs or coils. The intake manifolds on transverse engines are usually asymmetrical to fit the vehicle profile therefore burying half the engine.

First gen 4WD Colorado trucks and Trailblazer SUVs have the front axle run through the oil pan.
    In order to remove the instrument panel on a 2010-present Camaro you must remove the windshield.
    In order to remove the instrument panel on many GM mid and full size front wheel drive SUVs you must remove the front doors.
    252-F175-B-4444-4-F6-C-9-FCB-2-A771-BEBC34-A.jpg

D3-A2-E183-0-ED6-4935-B19-F-571998-F8657-B.jpg

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My first headlight/battery nightmare was a 1990 minivan. Of course my current vehicle's ESS battery is easiest to remove by pulling the fenderwell.

I sure miss the cheap and easy light changes on any vehicle built before 1980.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    You do not have to remove the bumper on a Traverse unless you are replacing the actual housings. The bulbs are done through the wheel wells.

This is not uncommon. Many V6 engines need the intake manifold removed for one bank of plugs or coils. The intake manifolds on transverse engines are usually asymmetrical to fit the vehicle profile therefore burying half the engine.

First gen 4WD Colorado trucks and Trailblazer SUVs have the front axle run through the oil pan.
    In order to remove the instrument panel on a 2010-present Camaro you must remove the windshield.
    In order to remove the instrument panel on many GM mid and full size front wheel drive SUVs you must remove the front doors.
    252-F175-B-4444-4-F6-C-9-FCB-2-A771-BEBC34-A.jpg

D3-A2-E183-0-ED6-4935-B19-F-571998-F8657-B.jpg
    Saw a Ford diesel that had to have the cab removed to change out the back injectors. My Uncle had a Caddy that required the engine be lifted to remove a couple of spark plugs.

Top Bottom