• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Well, I could have sworn they stopped selling scary guns about 5 years ago and haven't been back. Guess it makes it hard to care when the double stop selling them.

Regional thing. One near me rivaled Cabelas when it opened last summer. ARs, HiCap pistols, etc,

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009

Actually they're there as a deterrent or to take the report after the fact in most cases.

That's an awfully big "if". If it happens, I'll apologize for every evil thought I've had about the guy. OTOH, if that video existed, I reckon the political hay to be made from letting it leak would have already resulted in it going public.

You've got to remember who is in possession of any video and what they're position is on gun control. If the school happened to posses such a video, but the school believes that only officers should be armed for the students protection, where's the motivation to release the video?

Now the media is claiming that the massacre stopped because the gun “jammed while changing magazines”. I expect them to use this to argue for idiotic magazine bans.

He just put the gun down and walked away.

Technically speaking, that argument sounds like a reason those unreliable, high capacity magazines should be mandatory. Think how many more lives could have been lost if more reliable, 10 round magazines (clips) had been used instead?

Apparently Dick's Sporting Goods is doing just that. Heard on the news this morning that they are no longer selling "Assault Rifles" nor high capacity magazines.

Didn't they already do that a few years ago?

Read an article that the EMT's were really ticked off because the police would not let them in the building for a long time. They were willing to take the risk of going in before the building was cleared. Kept raising cain about it, but the police would not go.

I've seen the same reports. Even going so far as to say it was against all the mass casualty training they had received. If the truth comes out about the police response, my guess is it comes out from this angle before the lawyers manage to get it out of the FOIA.

Edit: This would be much easier if we had a multi quote button.

higgs_field

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2016
    Houston, TX
    Yes, but this brings up something specific:Where does this guy teach? If it's a private business and not a government entity, he may have just put them out of business. The bio suggests he's a government employee but it's not explicit and, even so, I'd still like to know where.
    RE: https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...rcement-instructor-tim-vogt-column/369860002/

The author of the USA comments begins and ends with the word, "I".
    He's a jerk; Forget Him......

ParkerBoy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2015
    Minnesota
    There is a lot we don't know about the situation at Parkland, so I'm willing to give the officer a break until I know more. It doesn't really look good, but until I know more. I have serious doubts if we will ever be given ALL the information we should!

What I do know.......The school campus is a very large one, consisting of many interconnected buildings. The shooter fired ALL his rounds in about 7 minutes and was out of the building before a police perimeter was set up.

What I would like to know.......
    1. Where was the officer(A) in relation to the shooter(B), WHEN the shooting began?
    2. How long would it take the officer to determine where the shooting was coming from? And how difficult would it be to figure that out?
    3. How long would it take to get from A to B? Would that route have been unobstructed or clogged with fleeing students?

Until we know some of this stuff, I think we are all being a bit quick with our judgement. It may well be justified, but until I know some of those answers, I'm going to stop throwing stones!

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Well, there is a lot we do know. We know that he intentionally did not make entry and sheltered outside. He did not attempt to find the shooter. We know that an order came to set up a perimeter AFTER the shooter was already gone.

1. Where was the officer? In a office on campus. From that point, he went outside.
    2. How long did it take him to determine where the shooting was coming from? Don't know, but you don't search out the shooter by sheltering place OUTSIDE of the building.
    3. How long to get from A to B? Since he didn't even try, what does it matter?

His job was to search out and stop the shooter. That is the primary job of SROs since Columbine. He did not do this. He did not attempt to do this.

However, the point of this thread was to note the wrong set of goals by the police instructor who was more worried about the cop being called a coward than the cop not performing his job.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Latest report is THE officer had his body cam on and was told by dispatcher to stand down and set up perimeter.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Latest report is THE officer had his body cam on and was told by dispatcher to stand down and set up perimeter.

Yeah, he was told to stand down and set up a perimeter, AFTER the shooter had left the building and the shooting was over. Here is the time line. Notice that Peterson not only doesn't go into the building, but that he actually tells people to stay away from buildings and seems to direct people into a perimeter himself.

The shooting stopped at 6 minutes and seconds and Capt. Jordan ordered a perimeter set up at just over the 10 minute mark. PETERSON WAS NOT ORDERED TO SET UP A PERIMETER WHILE THE SHOOTING WAS ACTIVE. THE SHOOTER WAS LONG GONE BY THE TIME THAT ORDER WAS GIVEN.

https://media.local10.com/document_...e of events_1520536088541_11763182_ver1.0.pdf

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    I read today that 2 swat officers got suspended from SWAT and told to turn in their rifles because they were in the area and immediately tried to respond to the shooting.

I'm starting to get confused as to weather the police force if from Florida or California.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I read today that 2 swat officers got suspended from SWAT and told to turn in their rifles because they were in the area and immediately tried to respond to the shooting.

I'm starting to get confused as to weather the police force if from Florida or California.
    I'd pay for a copy of that.
    Printed or online?

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    I'd pay for a copy of that.
    Printed or online?

Two Florida police officers have been suspended from their SWAT team after reportedly responding to the fatal school shooting in Parkland without permission from their supervisors, officials said.​

The two unidentified officers were suspended on Wednesday after officials learned that “the two employees took it upon themselves to respond without notification to the SWAT commander” on February 14, creating “an extreme hazard by way of accountability, responsibility, and liability,” Chief Dexter Williams said in a statement.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/0...oting-without-notification-officials-say.html

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Big Dipper,

Well isn't that just delightful??

Personally, IF what is being reported is true, the county needs a NEW Sheriff & a considerable number of new LEOs.

yours, satx

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Two Florida police officers have been suspended from their SWAT team after reportedly responding to the fatal school shooting in Parkland without permission from their supervisors, officials said.​

The two unidentified officers were suspended on Wednesday after officials learned that “the two employees took it upon themselves to respond without notification to the SWAT commander” on February 14, creating “an extreme hazard by way of accountability, responsibility, and liability,” Chief Dexter Williams said in a statement.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/0...oting-without-notification-officials-say.html

When that gets out, there will have to be a whole new round of attacks on the NRA and concealed carry license holders, lest there be criticism of the police department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    It seems strange that shootings nowadays often has more questions then are being answered. Is it now everyone is afraid to do what's right in fear of losing their job? Or worse, a fear of being looked down upon by those that don't have a clue?

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    Well, there is a lot we do know. We know that he intentionally did not make entry and sheltered outside. He did not attempt to find the shooter. We know that an order came to set up a perimeter AFTER the shooter was already gone.

1. Where was the officer? In a office on campus. From that point, he went outside.
    2. How long did it take him to determine where the shooting was coming from? Don't know, but you don't search out the shooter by sheltering place OUTSIDE of the building.
    3. How long to get from A to B? Since he didn't even try, what does it matter?

His job was to search out and stop the shooter. That is the primary job of SROs since Columbine. He did not do this. He did not attempt to do this.

However, the point of this thread was to note the wrong set of goals by the police instructor who was more worried about the cop being called a coward than the cop not performing his job.
    My question has always been, What affect did the Broward County School Districts policy, about not arresting students for crimes (due to Federal grant money), have on the responses of the officers involved have?

Top Bottom