Lynx Defense

Is there a class I can take on reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I side stepped this question even though I'm a technical instructor and have been a reloader since 1966. When I taught reloading, it seemed to change the student a lot. For him/her the process changed from one where components were magically combined to make perfect rounds to one of methodically checking, rechecking and adjusting the equipment to make perfect rounds. The process of reloading is not magic. It IS one that requires minute attention to detail and precision. Some folks lost interest. Some took it and ran with it. One of the best students was female!

I quit teaching the subject because of this frustration but urge you to examine why you want to learn it. If you enjoy getting to know the process, learning how to dimensionally check and/or correct dimensional problems then reloading might be for you. If not, stick with factory or commercial reloads.

On your loose cartridge necks, you probably ran the resizing die down far enough to punch the primer but not far enough to resize the neck. It's a basic adjustment on the resize die. My bet is that the decap punch is set too long and won't allow the die to resize the neck. The expander plug will open up the neck too much, as well.

Flash

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    I am glad everything worked out for you. I don't remember you stating what caliber you were reloading and whether it was on a single stage or progressive press.
    Your original problem had to be over belling. I had that problem with my first 45 acp loads. A gunsmith friend of mine told me an easy way to set your seater die is to use a factory bullet as a gauge. In my case it was a 230 grain round nose .45 acp bullet. First thing is to screw your seater die plunger out far enough that it becomes ineffective. Place a factory round in the shell holder, raise the ram, screw your seater die plunger back down until you feel it lightly touch your round. Secure the seater die and remove your factory bullet. Load one of your reloads and check the length. Adjust as needed. To adjust the belling, start with just enough bell to support you bullet. Slowly screw your die in until you achieve the correct belling. Reloading is not rocket science, but it does take time and attention to details. A good reloading manual will take you step by step through the reloading process and keep you safe.

Top Bottom