Target Sports

Is there a class I can take on reloading?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    The only "class" that I am aware of, is the learn while you load apprentice program.(Not really a program, I made that up.) You find someone that is willing to let you help them reload. You can then see exactly how it works and so on.

All I did was read ABC's of Reloading and read the Dillon instructions. Pretty easy. I guess you can even find a video or 2 on you tube or other sites. Best way is to help someone else.

What are you having trouble with ? If you have a Dillon XL650, I can probably help. If I can't , call Dillon directly. Most manufacturers have a web site and or forum to help noobs.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I'm having trouble with the final steps: bullet seating and taper crimping. Some of the cases just will not exert any tension on the bullets, and they just slide down into the hole. I'm flustered. And these bullets measure the same as the rest.

The_Vigilante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Far West Texas
    The NRA does have classes on reloading. The instructors have to be NRA-certified to teach these classes. I suggest you contact the NRA to find out if there are any NRA-certified reloading instructors in your area. And since you live in the DFW metroplex seems like you should be able to find one easily.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I'm having trouble with the final steps: bullet seating and taper crimping. Some of the cases just will not exert any tension on the bullets, and they just slide down into the hole. I'm flustered. And these bullets measure the same as the rest.

I'm going to guess that you are expanding too much. . . not sure though. I had a similar problem a while back.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso

Either over expanding or over crimping would be my guess. Back off a bit and check results. You may be over compensating for too much bell with too much crimp. That is my guess.

I am guessing you dont have a case guage for the cal. you are having problems with.

Google Brian Enos, Dillon troubleshooting. Go on their forum. I believe they have pictures of over, correct and under expanded cases. It is a good reference site anyway.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Are you sure you are using the correct resizing die? Sizing a 9mm with a 40 caliber die would pop the primer out, but not resize the case. That could cause loose bullets also.

Outbreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Abilene, TX
    I've been wondering about the same thing (the class, not the actual problem with the case sizing). I bet a lot more people would get into rolling their own if they could just go to their favorite range or shop or gun club on a Saturday, write a check, and learn it hands-on. I'm one of those folks who doesn't learn well from just reading a book. I need to DO it. Seems that shooting being such a tactile activity (learning by muscle memory, feel, etc) that many potential reloaders would be eager to learn that skill the same way they learned to shoot.

I know one guy well enough to ask to show me, but when I told him I didn't want to jump straight into it having only read ABC's of Reloading and the directions that came with my Lee press, he said "well that's how I did it."

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I've been wondering about the same thing (the class, not the actual problem with the case sizing). I bet a lot more people would get into rolling their own if they could just go to their favorite range or shop or gun club on a Saturday, write a check, and learn it hands-on. I'm one of those folks who doesn't learn well from just reading a book. I need to DO it. Seems that shooting being such a tactile activity (learning by muscle memory, feel, etc) that many potential reloaders would be eager to learn that skill the same way they learned to shoot.

I know one guy well enough to ask to show me, but when I told him I didn't want to jump straight into it having only read ABC's of Reloading and the directions that came with my Lee press, he said "well that's how I did it."

I would imagine that there would be liability issues with some of these classes. Either someone pops a primer or , later, reloads, gets a Kboom and says "they taught me". Not to mention all of the different equipment, it would be hard to explain what to look for on each machine.
    I guess a class could teach the bare basics, but until you get the feel.........

Well, the guy you know still has more experience then you. I would still try to load with him. A little experience is better then none. Either you will learn how to reload or how NOT to reload.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    I would like to report that I went back, started from scratch, and ended up with some workable reloads. I took them to the range today. I was scared, but after I fired the first three, I felt elated. All of them, save for one round, worked flawlessly. I guess I just got all worked up during my first batch. I let my emotions get the better of me when things did not go according to plan.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    I would like to report that I went back, started from scratch, and ended up with some workable reloads. I took them to the range today. I was scared, but after I fired the first three, I felt elated. All of them, save for one round, worked flawlessly. I guess I just got all worked up during my first batch. I let my emotions get the better of me when things did not go according to plan.

Good job ! Now, you just have to fine tune and work up a perfect load for what you want. Welcome to the "roll your own world".

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The guys are right on here. All of what they say can cause the problem that you describe. The main point I'd like to make is that you were correct to sense trouble and STOP! For that, you get an atta boy! Those trouble signs are like an alarm bell. Listen for them anytime that you reload! Stop and do not continue loading or use any of the rounds until you figure it out. If you can't figure it out, then get help.

Flash

RogerEMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Fort Worth
    I am a NRA Certified instructor.. I can teach you everything (I MEAN EVERYTHING!) about reloading for close to 30.00 Call me Roger @ 817-448-7683 or visit Seelbachshooting.com

RogerEMT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Fort Worth
    The NRA does have classes on reloading. The instructors have to be NRA-certified to teach these classes. I suggest you contact the NRA to find out if there are any NRA-certified reloading instructors in your area. And since you live in the DFW metroplex seems like you should be able to find one easily.

Seelbachshooting.com I teach in the metroplex..NRA CERTIFIED

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Luna2020
    Top Bottom