Hurley's Gold

Is it legal in Texas to pull your gun out in your vehicle...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    Some might think that you were looking for an opportunity to display your weapon.

If you are man enough to flip someone the bird you damned well be man enough to back it up without pulling your weapon. If not, take your ass whipping and be a good boy next time.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx

n5wd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Foat Wuth
    Those takers work, lol....I actually volunteered to be hit with one once...I don't know what was wrong with me.

Was working as the primary medic on an MICU one day in the past, when we got a Priority 1 call to a local police training academy. Got there to find one of the trainees that had "volunteered" to take a taser shot llying on the ground in real distress. Cardiac rhythm was messed up.... he had wet him self and was more embarrassed about that, I think, than anything else. Got up (with assistance) only to do a face plant on the mats. Needless to say, he got the ride, the IV, etc.

Nope... not something I'd voluntarily undergo at any time...

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    So based on the opinions here, if I were to flip someone the bird and they then decide to attack me, I have no right to defend myself? What kind of bullshit is that? It is just a finger... If that is enough to provoke someone, they have what's coming to them.
    He wasn't attacked. The man yelled and moved, on foot, toward his vehicle. The knife was pulled after OP pulled his handgun, according to the OP.

Lol...during a traffic stop I recently conducted, a kid was riding by on his bicycle on the other side of the vehicle. As he passed, he yelled out "fu**ing pig."
    LOL

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Some might think that you were looking for an opportunity to display your weapon.

If you are man enough to flip someone the bird you damned well be man enough to back it up without pulling your weapon. If not, take your ass whipping and be a good boy next time.

I agree. If you want to go around behaving like a jackass eventually someone will stand up to you.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Was working as the primary medic on an MICU one day in the past, when we got a Priority 1 call to a local police training academy. Got there to find one of the trainees that had "volunteered" to take a taser shot llying on the ground in real distress. Cardiac rhythm was messed up.... he had wet him self and was more embarrassed about that, I think, than anything else. Got up (with assistance) only to do a face plant on the mats. Needless to say, he got the ride, the IV, etc.

Nope... not something I'd voluntarily undergo at any time...

When one of my better friends was in the academy, he was shot with a taser. They ended up using his video as the demonstration training video for all the future academy's. His reaction was so humorous.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    UPDATE: Spoke to the detective to day, as his gf did freak out and call the cops apparently. And he said very clearly, that if the guy did run up to my car and pull a knife I was well within my means to pull my firearm to defend my well being. So to all you know-it-alls who wanted to be judge and executioner(TXivestigator), you were wrong! The video will clearly show him run up to my car and pull a knife, and I will be exonerated for defending myself. Thank you to all who sympathized and defended my action, because we were right! God bless Texas.

You also said:
    But literally as soon as I had retrieved the gun and looked back at him to show him he already had a knife in his hand.

Get your story straight. You said you got your gun before you saw the knife, then you said you got your gun because he was running up to you with a knife. Your words have branded you a liar.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You also said:

But literally as soon as I had retrieved the gun and looked back at him to show him he already had a knife in his hand.

Get your story straight. You said you got your gun before you saw the knife, then you said you got your gun because he was running up to you with a knife. Your words have branded you a liar.

Retrieving and displaying are two completely different things...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So based on the opinions here, if I were to flip someone the bird and they then decide to attack me, I have no right to defend myself? What kind of bullshit is that? It is just a finger... If that is enough to provoke someone, they have what's coming to them.

Flipping someone off is as good as saying, "ok, let's go." You just invited the guy into a fight.

If you call someone out, do you have the right to defend yourself? Hell, no. You flipped them off. That shows me that you WANTED to fight.

...keep the finger stowed unless you actually want to fight.

GaryH

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2011
    Cowtown
    There are people that have been convicted and sentenced for what we are talking about. This discussion, and other discussions and articles I've read on the net, makes me wonder if it's wise to ever display weapon. This guy said he went for his gun BEFORE he saw a knife. I don't think he told the cops that. It's possible he might have, and the cops told him to keep it to himself, or the cop might have said I don't fault you for anything you did. Regardless, I feel that he is fortunate to not have been arrested. If there is video evidence why has the other guy not been questioned or arrested for displaying a knife in a threatening manor? OR is this whole thing a fabrication by this texranger dude for whatever reason?

I don't have a permit to carry, but I do keep a gun in the truck most of the time. I hope and pray that I NEVER feel that I need it.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Flipping someone off is as good as saying, "ok, let's go." You just invited the guy into a fight.

If you call someone out, do you have the right to defend yourself? Hell, no. You flipped them off. That shows me that you WANTED to fight.

...keep the finger stowed unless you actually want to fight.

That's horseshit and you know it...

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    UPDATE: Spoke to the detective to day, as his gf did freak out and call the cops apparently. And he said very clearly, that if the guy did run up to my car and pull a knife I was well within my means to pull my firearm to defend my well being. So to all you know-it-alls who wanted to be judge and executioner(TXivestigator), you were wrong! The video will clearly show him run up to my car and pull a knife, and I will be exonerated for defending myself. Thank you to all who sympathized and defended my action, because we were right! God bless Texas.
    If is a keyword on what you supposedly were told. And IF this so called video ever emerges, it would have to show a knife. It will prob be some grainy ass video and he could claim he had a cell phone for all we know. TXI, nor anyone on here wouldn't side with you just out of pity. So if that's what your looking for, sorry. You wanted input and you were given it. Dont cry about not hearing what you hoped you would hear. If it really went down the way you say it did in the OP, and it could be proven as so, I think you will not like the outcome. I think your leaning to the "video" as not being able to show your wielding a gun and only showing him with a knife...that would only help you out of this jam you pretty much created.
    No matter the outcome, I wish all parties well, and even to learn from this experience. I dont know whatever happened to manning up and apologizing for confusion as this apparently was. Showing manners never means you are weak.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    That's horseshit and you know it...

Flipping the bird isn't a challenge to fight? That's news to me.

If it's horseshit, than how can you be sited under PC 42.01(a)(2) for flipping someone off?

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
    (1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;
    (2) makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place, and the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    ... This guy said he went for his gun BEFORE he saw a knife. ...

Yes, went for it, meaning he was in the process of acquiring it, but did not yet display it. He consistently said that too. Why do you insist on reversing the order of his actions?

I don't think he told the cops that. It's possible he might have, and the cops told him to keep it to himself, or the cop might have said I don't fault you for anything you did.
    I heard the the cop is a wife beating closet drug addict, but then someone else told me they heard the cop infiltrated the department to help a drug cartel. Who really knows

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Flipping the bird isn't a challenge to fight? That's news to me.

If it's horseshit, than how can you be sited under PC 42.01(a)(2) for flipping someone off?

Sec. 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally or knowingly:
    (1) uses abusive, indecent, profane, or vulgar language in a public place, and the language by its very utterance tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;
    (2) makes an offensive gesture or display in a public place, and the gesture or display tends to incite an immediate breach of the peace;

It still doesn't justify a physical attack nor does it prevent someone from defending against the same.

Your interpretation of the law is not only incorrect, it is out of context. Claiming that someone is justified in responding with lethal force because of a hand gesture is bullshit and you know it!

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    It still doesn't justify a physical attack nor does it prevent someone from defending against the same.

Your interpretation of the law is not only incorrect, it is out of context. Claiming that someone is justified in responding with lethal force because of a hand gesture is bullshit and you know it!
    I think you're missing the point, once you make the gesture, (particularly on the timeframe of this discussion) you now can dispute who was or was not the aggressor. Because it is all subjective, and based off of the perception of you and others observing the confrontation.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

Never said they were justified in responding with lethal force. But commission of a crime can delete your claim of self defense.

Top Bottom