Texas SOT

If you had to use $10,000 to start a small business, what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diveRN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2014
    The Metroplex
    $10k isn't much, but I'd parlay that into some kind of out of state Real Estate rental. I've seen condos in various parts of the country that sell for between $50k and $70k, but rent for $800-$900 a month. After hiring a property management company, taxes and insurance tend to be too high here to make a single rental significantly profitable.
    Target Sports

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If you're willing to work on the seamier side of humanity and have the right personality, $10K would buy a good camera, good mic, enough lights, a good business-class 'net connection, and the pile of accessories necessary for an attractive 18+ year old female to rule as a camgirl.

Just sayin'. I doubt there's anyone here who would want that work or steer their daughter toward it but, hey, no limitations were placed on the question by the OP. And the few girls at the top of that business pull in $40K/month.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    Was on the way to shoot this morning and was behind a mobile car A/C repair truck. No idea on how much you could make, but it would require no where near a 10k investment.

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Small saltwater fish store

I have done that quite for long time that (not in this country though). your profits should be 15x on each fish to cover most of the dead stock and other expenses. And finally you will be left with 3 x profits on total inventory.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Too right; $10,000 would buy at least 8 ounces of gold, and that's not a bad start at retirement. Add a few thousand 5.7x28 and you're good to go.
    Lead has out performed gold over the last 7 years. Too bad I "consumed" the vast majority of my portfolio :laughing:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Rent the machines, First month free on rent, etc.
    Yeah, that's the idea of the maker spaces. There's probably not a whole lot of market there to capture, but I wonder how that might work with the ATF's recent ruling on the ownership of manufacturing equipment. If the equipment rental place is an 07, are the guns individuals make with that equipment have to be serialized and on the 07's books?

kusai

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Bedford TX
    Setting up and starting a small waste management company would be good. Most people think its groce, but they have no idea how much people pay to pick up thrash.

Not my personal choice though.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Setting up and starting a small waste management company would be good. Most people think its groce, but they have no idea how much people pay to pick up thrash.

Not my personal choice though.

Prices go from $22 - $25 a month for once a week service where I live out in the sticks. That's buy a truck, hire a driver and a thrower, drive a distance measured in parts of a mile or more between houses, pay the fuel, insurance, maintenance, and then dump fees.

Doesn't seem like a whole lot of profit to me if you're charging $7 or $8 a week. Also don't get many holidays off or it will throw off the whole schedule for the week.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Car wash. One of the fancy ones with people to wipe down the cars after the wash. They seem to be getting popular.

$10k may get you a loan to start it.

Probably not a great plan in my market though.

nlam01

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    I'd invest it and move forward with my dream of owning a gun range of my own. God knows I wish to be one damn good shooter. What better way to build that confidence than to shoot on my own land surrounded by good friends. I'd call it Stars and Stripes Shooting

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    I had a new idea about starting up an equipment rental shop and lesson plans for families that home school. Some of the items would be an egg incubator, Tesla coils and a system like below.

Last edited:

TexasBrandon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Salado
    I have ten grand and have been looking to start a business but just have no clue what. I had thought about lawn business myself but I'd rather do something else. I was going to consider learning silver smithing and making silver coins, jewelry, etc. but it isn't very profitable from what I've read and you need some way to prove that it's .999 fine unless you go the sterling silver route.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom