Lynx Defense

If you had to use $10,000 to start a small business, what would you do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've thought of buying a car and parting it out. Not sure how that would compete against the salvage yards but being near Austin, there should be some demand.
    I've done that. Specialized in oddball cars I'm familiar with. You can make some money if you're on the forums for those cars and on ebay as well, but I freaking hate dealing with ebay these days :p

A buddy of mine has done really well flipping cars. The trick is finding ones that have small issues and clueless owners that are fed up. These are not hard to come by, lol... I couldn't do it because once I fixed it I'd just want to keep all the cars ;)

You have to factor in your time spent as well. On a lot of these things you'll make ok profit over the investment, but you'll end up paying yourself like $9/hr for your effort.

My brother is always talking about buying a semi load of "store returns".
    I miss Bud's Discount City...

You are looking at the scenaruo incorrectly. I understand it takes a lot of $ to start a traditional business and you have to have cash on hand until you can turn a profit.

Way too many people sit on the sidelines working hourly wage jobs they hate because they think only the rich man can start a business.
    If you're going to do it all legally, $10k isn't really enough.

I currently work for someone else becuase I earn more that way. I'm not a business type person, so my employers do the businessy stuff and I do the worky stuff. We both win. If I could earn more working for myself then I would. Simple cost bennifit analysis. At some point I do want to find a way to work for myself even if I end up taking home less. I agree it can be done; just have to determine what you really want.

Employees are expensive, period. It's no wonder so many jobs get offshored; it makes those pesky, expensive employees into someone else's problem.
    I want to open a fully automated burger stand. Start popping them up all over the palce like Redboxes. My job would be to drive around and fix the robots. I'll have to hire a carbon based robot to do the books becuase I suck at that. All that's gonna take more then $10k, tho.

Employees aren't a requirement but leveraging someone's labor is if you want to grow.
    ...or robots
    Venture Surplus ad

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Make sure you find something you really like, because you will spend more hours working for yourself than you will any other boss you've ever had.

As for the service industry bit, if it's your sole income, better plan for the off season. You won't be mowing many yards come December.

If I don't get any qualifiers, then I'd say start a business hanging Christmas lights. (residential window washing seems to be another one that pays more than you would think) I've got a buddy who's kid hangs Christmas lights on houses every year. Been doing it for about 4 years now. He makes between 40-50k per year doing this. Hires a helper for $10 per hour and hangs the lights, then takes them down after the season.

He's looking at getting into window washing now since he kind of has a customer base.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    You won't be mowing many yards come December.
    Depends on the deal you make. Someone upthread mentioned a yard costing $50. My guy charges $25. In return, he gets a year-round contract and throws in some extras. He does a complete clean-up of blown debris during the winter. Once a year he not only does a huge cut-and-haul of bushes and trees but also climbs on the roof and blows off all the pine needles.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Alright, so you've got your small business setup. Definitely small scale at this point. You need to accept credit cards for payment because so few people use cash anymore. Who do you use for payment processing? Pretty much all of the payment processors geared towards the little guy (Square, PayPal, etc...) are outwardly anti-2A. Do you still use them due to their convenience? Assuming your business doesn't violate their TOS that is.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    If this idea hasn't come up.... be a rent=a=barrel contractor. Those damn orange things that always screwing up traffic.
    If you want to work on stuff that goes on roads, people would be surprised at the number of sign-makers who work out of their garage. While common signs like for speed limits tend to be stocked by larger companies, there are plenty of out-in-the-garage level contractors who produce signs for particular locations, to particular specs, to be stuck on the side of the road. Working through the networks and getting the county contracts (from what I've heard) seem to be the frustrating parts of the business.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    If your skilled with your hands a mobile PDR business is an option.

PDR - paintless dent repair

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Seems like 3D printing might be a good investment?

Every construction project I do these days, be it new or remodel, bath, kitchen or full house, ends up as a scaled 3D model.

Can't think of a better presentation tool than a physical 3D model, complete with colors and design schemes.

Can't afford the current prices, but would welcome a cost effective solution.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    You could do windshield repair stands . I know there is one company that has some sort of franchise deal for 3 setups at $10 grand but of course you have to find the locations. A business as a taxi/chauffeur driver or uber driver should be possible and even if you need a brand new car to do it 10 grand would put a nice down payment for one. Delivery drivers, hot shots, and owner operators can end up with growing into sizable businesses. I think any one could make a living in a big town just by running errands and doing delivery for from everything from take out to groceries. It's more about how much effort you want to put out and sometimes that's more about mental effort than physical.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    If your skilled with your hands a mobile PDR business is an option.

PDR - paintless dent repair
    I have a buddy that does that and does well with his regular dealerships out of state. But he says that many jobs are flooded with techs and the pay isn't there.

Not that it is a bad idea, but I would do research before investing in that.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    I guess I agree in this state. The skill seems to be more common in state frequently hit by hail. Back up north finding anyone meant paying $175 per dent. Hail damage doesn't happen in the northeast.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I guess I agree in this state. The skill seems to be more common in state frequently hit by hail. Back up north finding anyone meant paying $175 per dent. Hail damage doesn't happen in the northeast.
    My buddy spends a lot of time in Wyoming at a few dealerships he knows well. He has left and come right back home from a few other states.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Seems like 3D printing might be a good investment?

Can't afford the current prices, but would welcome a cost effective solution.
    You can get a membership to a "maker space." They would have all the stuff you need to do scale models like vacuum forming, 3d printers, CNC routers, etc... Pretty much everyone at those type places are working on a hobby business.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    You can get a membership to a "maker space." They would have all the stuff you need to do scale models like vacuum forming, 3d printers, CNC routers, etc... Pretty much everyone at those type places are working on a hobby business.

Never thought to look using that term. Great concept. There is apparently one locally that has a prototyping shop, with 3d printing. Will certainly look into it.

Thank you very much for the idea.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Never thought to look using that term. Great concept. There is apparently one locally that has a prototyping shop, with 3d printing. Will certainly look into it.

Thank you very much for the idea.
    Yeah. no problem. They are a really neat concept. There's one local to me as well called Tech Shop. They even have a water jet machine. I'm planing on getting a membership at some point. It really sucks with the ATF's recent ruling on ownership of equipment and 07 FFLs, tho.

Top Bottom