• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    The bulk of video editing is all about I/O. You're moving around a lot of data more than anything else. High end CPU and GPU really won't improve performance a whole lot unless you're doing some very complex effects work. You need to move data as quickly as possible, and that means large caches (more RAM), faster memory controller (newer and high quality motherboards), and high sustained data transfer to/from disk. SSD's are coming down in price quite a bit, so using one is pretty much a given, especially in conjunction with a motherboard sporting an NVMe socket. Then for bulk storage, a bit 7200 RPM SATA rotational drive will be fine, but keep your active project files on the SSD.

You almost me at "I/O"

Having built many computers in the past for friends and others that wanted something nice, a grand is a good spot to be at or wanting a good computer with speed and the ability to play games. Anything more than that you are treading into the gamer territory. It isn't hard to build a computer but does take a little planning to make sure you are lined up with your goals as well as the hardware being compatible (like don't buy a AMD processor and buy a intel motherboard).

I have no interest in computer gaming. Just not my thing.
    Capitol Armory ad

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    The bulk of video editing is all about I/O. You're moving around a lot of data more than anything else. High end CPU and GPU really won't improve performance a whole lot unless you're doing some very complex effects work.
    I agree with this.

Video editing is all about I/O. Hard Drives and RAM. Graphics card does not matter unless you are rendering in 3D effects or something really more interesting.

If you are talking about basic movie editing 8GB of RAM and a decently fast hard drive will go a long way. Can be done on the cheap but I still think you can find something "off the shelf" relatively inexpensively.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This is what I'm running on now

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442587303.822759.jpg

Not sure how to find HDD info.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    You can run crucial memory upgrade tool to see of your able to add more memory (or upgrade if no more slots) and what type.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I won't be upgrading this computer as it is company property, but it helps give me an idea of what to look for and catch up on certain terms being tossed around.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Ah. The i5 is still a decent processor. RAM is the biggest concern when doing video editing. CPU Cache helps. HDD of 7200 or SSD, capacity of 500 gigs should be plenty. Past that, it's really up to you. Are you going to be using this JUST for video editing? Are you going to be watching DVD or blue ray on it?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Ah. The i5 is still a decent processor. RAM is the biggest concern when doing video editing. CPU Cache helps. HDD of 7200 or SSD, capacity of 500 gigs should be plenty. Past that, it's really up to you. Are you going to be using this JUST for video editing? Are you going to be watching DVD or blue ray on it?

My only intended use is video and photo editing. It will rarely even have an Internet connection and we don't really watch movies on the computer.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    If you're already used to 12GB of RAM, then you definitely don't want any less than that in your new PC ;)

lol.

I do t know how much of that is being used when editing vs all the other crap running at the same time. If/when I out one together for editing that the only thing it will be running, without all the extra crap mentioned in posts above except maybe the printer software. I don't do a lot of photography printing but LG might like the ability since she does more of it.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Probably more than if you bought one prebuilt.

These days it makes sense to build if you need something highly specific, such as a gaming machine, or you can reuse a significant amount of your existing parts. If neither of those things are true, you can typically find them cheaper buy buying prebuilt. Especially if you wait for a sale.

That's been my experience the past ten years.

Literally built dozens of them in the 90's, including all my audio workstations for the recording studio when we switched to mostly digital multi-track around 2002.

Since then it has been more cost effective, business wise, to design a custom one online from places like Dell, strip the crapware, reinstall the OS and go on down the road.

Not many left, but would I would do is to check to see if there any strip center computer "repair" shops locally who sell parts. Used to be some pretty good deals on parts, and competitive on custom systems, if you didn't want to bother with the hassle.

Fullretard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    DFW
    It is September just wait for black Friday

Also consider esxi and run VMs for everything

Also checkout the dell outlet

Phoneguy

Proud American and Infidel since 1968
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2013
    North Ft Worth
    You'll wind up spending around $1k.
    Here's a build that I made on PCPartPicker that's similar to the three that I build in the spring of last year. I have a dual monitor set up. This build does not. As time permits, you could throw in another 16GB of RAM to max out the motherboard. The Sandisk SSD is to move data fast. Put your operating system and primary programs on it. My computer boots to desktop in 6 seconds using an SSD. The 3TB drive is for mass storage.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/VhDnRB

U25RuN2.png

Last edited:

yim11

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2015
    Arlington, Tx
    I agree with the 'buy a system and customize it' crowd.

The days of the Friday Frys ad for mb/proc combo are long gone. It's no longer worth it to custom build unless you need a VERY specific gaming or other machine.

One thing that has been glanced over a bit here is OS cost, that should be included in build cost.

Flyingswords

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    Smiths Station AL
    Say I wanted to build a computer with the following:

I5/i7 processor or equivalent

4GB min ram, 8+ in awesome world.

2TB hard drive

Good quality graphics card

CD/DVD burner optional

Windows 7

Use: editing HD video

How much would I expect to spend, worth building instead of buying?

Here is my computer setup. should give you a rough idea of cost(s)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KBxVvK

I also happen to have 2 pc cases & both fit micro and standard ATX form factors They were sitting around since I bought an Antec Nineteen Hundred case

1) Cooler Master 311 Elite 2 slots for 120mm fans.

2) Enermax Ostrog 5 slots for 120mm fans

3) both have bottom mounts for the PSUs

Also if your OS is an OEM one & isnt tied in with a brand name pc company like HP, Sony, etc. You can usually call it in to microsoft and not have to buy another physical copy. Thats what I did when I changed motherboards. You just enter the key as per usual, activate. Then it should notify you to call microsofts automated activation hotline and start from there. It will ask you if its just for use on a single pc, enter a key (not the actual cd key) that was generated and the system should give you a long string of keys to enter in the following blanks. If the windows was part of a bundle with a premade brand name system, then that OS cannot be xferred to the new system, and a new physical copy has to be bought.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    By HiDef I'm talking 1080p, not 4K. Total length will usually be in the 10-15 minute range or less. No insane graphics added or anything. Just the basic Sony Vegas program.

Video processing benefits more from cores than RAM. 4GB will suffice, 8GB is nice after that there is little return. Cores are another matter. I run HD editing on 2/4/8 core boxes using i5/i7, and the gains with more cores are a lot. A fast HD to read/write from will help a lot too.

It is always recommended shut other programs down.

I use a Dell XPS 8700 for most stuff and it is works fine. I recently upgrade to 16B and got zero return for it on time to completion. I also have a home made box with an 8 core i7 and it rocks for speed.

Top Bottom