• Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    So.. It is what it is.

Everyone knows I am a huge Canik fan here. I own 5 of them, but this Mete MC9 has been nothing but trouble. I sent it back twice, they replaced the recoil spring twice. I had a gunsmith shave the extractor down and polish the ramp as well as inspect every other part of the gun.

Yet between 30 and 60 rounds through it I will get a failure to return to battery all the way.. I've put almost 1000 rounds through the gun at this point. It's well past break in point.

A gun person at one gun range said that my grip is too weak and that's causing it. That seems unlikely, but possible. I've owned at this point over 30 semi automatic pistols and none of them even the smallest snappiest pistols Ive fired have ever had this problem.

So what should I do? Should I just throw it in the safe call it a lemon or should I sell it to someone else knowing that it MIGHT not return to battery if they need it. Seriously not sure what to do here as I've never had a problem with a firearm like this
    Texas SOT

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    So.. It is what it is.

Everyone knows I am a huge Canik fan here. I own 5 of them, but this Mete MC9 has been nothing but trouble. I sent it back twice, they replaced the recoil spring twice. I had a gunsmith shave the extractor down and polish the ramp as well as inspect every other part of the gun.

Yet between 30 and 60 rounds through it I will get a failure to return to battery all the way.. I've put almost 1000 rounds through the gun at this point. It's well past break in point.

A gun person at one gun range said that my grip is too weak and that's causing it. That seems unlikely, but possible. I've owned at this point over 30 semi automatic pistols and none of them even the smallest snappiest pistols Ive fired have ever had this problem.

So what should I do? Should I just throw it in the safe call it a lemon or should I sell it to someone else knowing that it MIGHT not return to battery if they need it. Seriously not sure what to do here as I've never had a problem with a firearm like this

If you sell it to an individual, you should disclose all the information you did above. If they choose to purchase it, it’s their baby.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    If you were a new shooter, then limp-wristing it could be a problem. However, since you aren't a new shooter and are able to use other semi's without issue, the common denominator appears to be the MC9.

Maybe it's the grip angle, the length of the grip, the trigger, a sub-conscious thing now, who knows... Unless you absolutely love this pistol and can't see yourself using anything other than it, I'd say call it a day, take it as a learning experience and get rid of it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 8, 2020
    North of Dallas
    Just my two cents...If Canik copied the stepped chamber of the Walther, then they will be sensitive to cartridge case dimension as well as dirty chambers. My Walther P99 and PPQ would fail to go into battery after about 400 rounds without cleaning. Some ammo would work better than others and reloads were spotty.

You could try the "plunk" test which is just taking the barrel out, with muzzle down, and dropping your ammo into the chamber to see if it goes all the way in without resistance. Try multiple rounds or, if you have calipers, measure the diameter of the cases for the ammo you're having trouble with.

If you isolate the problem to ammo or chamber bore, then the next step would be to use ammo with case diameter on the small side or look for burrs or irregularities inside the chamber.

Also, you might try to keep track of your magazines to see if the malfunctions follow a particular magazine.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    So.. It is what it is.

You should give it to BigRed free of charge.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    You aren't being Turkish enough

download (37).jpeg

alternative

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2023
    Texas
    I'm aware, you can see my comment ON that video.
    With almost 2,000 comments on the video I didn't review them all to see if your name was one of them. Seems like this is a design flaw. People may love Canik but I wouldn't buy a Turkish gun.

Have you tried replacing the striker spring as one commenter said?

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’d worry less about an occasional OOB than having the ejector worked over if I was going to sell. Seems OOB instances are more common on this particular model than the average pistol though, which indicates a design flaw more than anything.

If I had a reason to hang on to it, I would; fact is this ain’t likely got sentimental or collectible value so I’d disclose and sell or trade at a small discount off average used price.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    So.. It is what it is.

Sometimes the outside face of the extractor needs smoothed out. Early xds’s wouldn’t go into battery because the outside faces geometry would struggle to go over the rim.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    So.. It is what it is.

I have an Ed Brown pistol which took multiple trips to the range, different magazines and ammunition before it became a reliable gun after 7-800 rounds. I cleaned it frequently and ran it wet until it was finally broke in.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Just my two cents...If Canik copied the stepped chamber of the Walther, then they will be sensitive to cartridge case dimension as well as dirty chambers. My Walther P99 and PPQ would fail to go into battery after about 400 rounds without cleaning. Some ammo would work better than others and reloads were spotty.

You could try the "plunk" test which is just taking the barrel out, with muzzle down, and dropping your ammo into the chamber to see if it goes all the way in without resistance. Try multiple rounds or, if you have calipers, measure the diameter of the cases for the ammo you're having trouble with.

If you isolate the problem to ammo or chamber bore, then the next step would be to use ammo with case diameter on the small side or look for burrs or irregularities inside the chamber.

Also, you might try to keep track of your magazines to see if the malfunctions follow a particular magazine.
    I have a Walther PPX that has a firm dislike for ammo at the top limits of spec and will pretty consistently fail to return to battery. I set my hand loads a little short and crimp ever so slightly more and the problem disappears.

Top Bottom