I need a job, but have nothing in my favor.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Seems he has all sorts of reasons why he cannot work. Self imposed predicament.

OP, to borrow a phrase from a man I greatly respect, you need a check up from the neck up- Zig Zigler

Tony Robbins talks about the difference between incan't-ations and incantations. Guess which one you sound like to me
    Capitol Armory ad

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    OP, all I will say is that if you are drug free and just a decent human being and will show up on time everyday, you are leaps and bounds ahead of 70 percent of the other applicants out there.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Can't, along with quit are 4 letter words. You can do anything as long as you believe it and are willing to work at it.
    Food service and retail beat the hell out of homeless and hungry. Dispair will get you nowhere fast.
    Get mad and determined that nothing will get in your way and get busy. Attitude goes a long way. I have seen from your other threads that you ain't dumb and can learn.

I am too far away to help much, but good luck.
    I

Last edited:

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown

No answer I can give is going to be good enough or acceptable, but...

Just can't handle it. I would literally rather be doing construction or physical labor making minimum wage over making 10+ an hour in retail. A big part of it is the way you get treated day in and day out, but there are a lot of factors that come into play that make it just literally unbearable IMO.

I have no problem with hard work, I have no problem getting paid to do less than desirable work. Even when I hate my job, I work harder than most. I went from cashier to manager in just a couple of months, skipping lots of people in line just because of how hard I worked. It's the atmosphere that poses the problem.

If it ever came down to it, and I had no choice at all, I'd go back to it. If that was literally the only thing I could to prevent becoming homeless, I'd bite the bullet and just do it. But as long as I have any chance at all of avoiding it, I'm going to.

Any job I take at this point is likely going to be very short term. Spending money to learn a trade doesn't make much sense to me, nor does entering into some type of contract where I'll make almost nothing for a year or two before I pay the company back for their training. By the time either are finished, I'll of already been hired on in the job I'm waiting for now. As of this very moment, I don't even need a job. But I'm looking towards the future and what I can do in case this strike lasts longer than our savings hold out. I already have a plan for a long term career. Right now I'm just simply waiting on a strike to be over, once it's over, I'll have the job I want.

I dunno what I was hoping for when I made the thread, maybe something like "Yeah my construction company could use an extra set of hands" or someone pointing me towards one they know about. In hindsight making it was probably a bad idea. Seems to of given people a bad impression of me. I don't really have a defeatist attitude, it's just some things are not things I'm looking for.

Yes retail is better than nothing, but I don't have nothing yet, and still won't for some time. I'm still holding out hope the strike will end soon and I can finally get on doing what I want to do. Right now without going on a tight budget we could still make it another 4-6 months easily. There was also the part about friends/family and how that reflects on me, which isn't really fair. It's not that I'm at odds with my family, it's that my entire family is at odds with each other. None of my family is close, it's been that way since before I was born even. I had friends, but most all stole from me or stabbed me in the back one way or another. I picked poor friends all throughout my life. You don't let cancer just keep eating away at you, you cut it out.

Again right now I'm just waiting for a job that is both lucrative and that I enjoy doing. I got the retail job while waiting on a spot to open up, and ended up getting fired before one did. There's a spot for me now, but there is no hiring going on until this strike is over. It can't go on forever either. I have something lined up, but it's taking longer than it really should have (it was supposed to be 90 days max before they decided to just hire all new people and let the strikers go). So now I have to come up with some sort of contingency plan just in case. If I can do anything at all to make that contingency plan not be "Retail/fast food" I'm going to.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Don't get me wrong, I don't have a bad impression. We all get down on things sometimes. That's how you made it sound.
    I have to sometimes force myself to be outgoing too. The life I used to lead, made being in a crowd of people I didn't know a really bad idea.
    Something you might try. Hit any constuction sites around, home, road, anything. Sometimes they are hiring or may point you to someone that is. Might get enough to tide you over. I know people that make a good living cleaning up new houses after construction is over. Household cleaning supplies are about all thats needed. And some gumption.
    As far as shyness, you would be surprised how many people you are asking for a job that are as shy as you. Just better at hiding it.
    A smart man once told me that if you act like bum, no matter how muc you had, people would treat you like one. Some same goes for acting like a king, even if you are dead broke. People will assume you are as confident as you project.
    So project man. More than one way to skin a cat.

Smart man, my Pop was. Still workin on being half the man He was. Maybe I'll get there one day. Good luck.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Well, just came across this thread so I'll give my too sense (just trying to piss off grammar nazis)
    I work in a field that is mostly labor related but someone who is has some intelligence, responsibility, and motivation can move up fairly easily.

When I hire:

I want someone who will make my job easier. That is my number one goal.

I look at the applications. If it's a guy (pretty much always) and it looks like his girlfriend/wife/mom filled it out it throws a flag. Misspelled words, bad grammar/many jobs in a short time all throw flags.

Then I'll call to set up an interview. If they start telling me all their problems on the phone it throws flags.

If they are late it throws a flag, if they seem unsure of themselves at the interview it throws a flag, stories about how good they were at their last job but their boss wouldn't let them move up.....big flag.

Shifting around a lot is a flag, hands staying in pockets, TEXTING or playing with phone, signs of any lack of confidence.

After the interview officially ends I'll usually just have a friendly conversation to gauge how they will fit in with the group.

During the application process, everything matters these days. Sad thing is, it's not that hard to really stand out because there are so many doofuses out there who fail miserably.

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    During the application process, everything matters these days. Sad thing is, it's not that hard to really stand out because there are so many doofuses out there who fail miserably.

This cannot be stressed enough. When I was coming up, the competition was pretty stout, these days not so much.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Many years ago when I was teaching a COOP class to high school boys I would tell them one of the best things they could say at an interview when the interviewer asks them about their work philosophy was, "I show up early, keep my mouth shut, and do what I'm told." Pretty much works for any type of job, IMO. :green:

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Many years ago when I was teaching a COOP class to high school boys I would tell them one of the best things they could say at an interview when the interviewer asks them about their work philosophy was, "I show up early, keep my mouth shut, and do what I'm told." Pretty much works for any type of job, IMO. :green:
    basic rules apply

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    First, you say that, yet you are here networking on this site.

Second, Ben is right. Networking is very important.

Third, it sounds like your attitude needs a major adjustment. I could be wrong, I'm just basing that off your posts in this thread that sound self defeating. Also, you shouldn't publicly share that your at odds with family, friends, etc. Usually when people tell me stuff like that I think "what's the constant and what's the variable".

If you're in Houston area look up between job ministries. If you're not in Houston, get active in church or volunteer work. Very easy and cheap ways to expand your network. Also the volunteer work will keep you humble and feeling like you've invested your time into something meaningful.

Most of all, good luck. I pray for you. Read Jeremiah 29:11 and believe it.

I question this observation from presonal experience. There are peole out there (most of us) that have bad family exolerience or peole in our lives that are simply maladjusted or are just mean people. I see the other side that the guy has the balls to come here and lay his troubles out and is looking for help. Seems his family sucks and his past friends are the same. I know exactly how this guy feels and why he is asking the questions he has. I too have a family that sucks and requires a shit ton of work to tolerate and avoid their bad habits and mental issues.

Unfortunately you can't choose family.

As for friends I too have had people either go south with their behavior or after some time I figured out they are just not for me. I see the positive in that the OP at least recognizes that these people are not a positive force in his life and he got away from them Bravo! Finding good people in this world is HARD and that is coupled with your professional life.

Scott, my opinion is lets give the guy some slack and help him out before we pass judgement (ooohpp that's a sin) on the guy and draw conclusions. My guess is that he is in a place in his life where he knows right from wrong and is desperately trying get to a better place. The only way to do that is hard work but he has no experience.

He needs a break from someone, some situation where a good job with a good company will allow him to flourish if he works hard. Its bad enough that this guy gets his ass thumped by some tard on this forum when he first joins but sticks with and look at him now. He has conquered any fears and inexperience with firearms and he and his wife have found a great hobby to enjoy together.

OP networking is very difficult but it is not rocket science. It takes a ton of effort and organization but it can be done depending upon what you desire. I have found in my life that finding a good church that has a men's group can really push you forward in meeting people. Also, the congregation is filled with people from all walks of life that have jobs in multiple industries. The other benefit is finding and having God in your life will ease your worries and give you depth and peace of mind. Donate if you can but you don't have to spend a dime of your money and everyone is accepted.

Join other groups in activities that you have interest in. Spending time with like minded people takes the edge off of the conversation and makes is load easier of making friends. Just make sure that the activity is a constructive and positive one.

IMHO I think the guy has a lot of potential despite not having experience. Just the fact that he comes here (sometimes for an unnecessary beating) time after time and reveals his personal life is a positive thing. He wants a better life for himself and his family. All of us have been in this place at one time or another and I believe the guy deserves some slack for his honesty

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Well, just came across this thread so I'll give my too sense (just trying to piss off grammar nazis)
    I work in a field that is mostly labor related but someone who is has some intelligence, responsibility, and motivation can move up fairly easily.

When I hire:

I want someone who will make my job easier. That is my number one goal.

I look at the applications. If it's a guy (pretty much always) and it looks like his girlfriend/wife/mom filled it out it throws a flag. Misspelled words, bad grammar/many jobs in a short time all throw flags.

Then I'll call to set up an interview. If they start telling me all their problems on the phone it throws flags.

If they are late it throws a flag, if they seem unsure of themselves at the interview it throws a flag, stories about how good they were at their last job but their boss wouldn't let them move up.....big flag.

Shifting around a lot is a flag, hands staying in pockets, TEXTING or playing with phone, signs of any lack of confidence.

After the interview officially ends I'll usually just have a friendly conversation to gauge how they will fit in with the group.

Don't forget confident but non-challenging eye contact. Don't interrupt when others are speaking. Be prepared to say what you need to say and keep that information accurate, complete, truthful, succinct and pertinent to the job at hand. Never exaggerate. Be prepared to answer important questions... but that should be automatic if you're truthful and have experience in the field. When it appears the interview is over and you probably have the job then offer a handshake and say, "Thank you, sir (or ma'am). I look forward to working with this company and I'm excited about the contributions I can offer." Or, if told you don't have the job then say, "Thank you, ma'am (or sir). I do appreciate your time. If you should have another job opening then please consider me for that position. I'm an honest, hard working, loyal employee and am a fast learner for anything new that may be introduced during my employment". Say no more unless asked a question then leave. The tone of your voice, at all times, should be confident... don't end your sentences (statements) with an upward (rising) tone... sounds unsure and unconfident. Don't speak monotone either... sounds practiced and mechanical (untrustworthy).

Last edited:

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    As soon as this stupid strike is over, I'm pretty much guaranteed a great job in a field I actually enjoy working in. Had planned to just live off of our savings until it was over but it's taking longer than expected. It was supposed to be over already.
    Hope it works out for ya. But it sounds like "Pretty much guaranteed" is not a for sure thing, hope you are not putting all yer eggs in one basket & setting yourself up for disappointment. Might want to come up with a contingency plan just in case it does not play out. Many things are liable to change, especially after a "marathon strike", Good luck.

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    I would say guaranteed but nothing in life is. The friend getting me on, has got me on before. He has a lot of pull in the company. I did get laid off, but it was because I was in a different group (eddy current). This time around I'll be working directly under him, or at least in his group (radiography). I'll also be full time rather than contract worker (contract workers are looked at as disposable, they are only there to fill in the numbers for turn around).

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I would say guaranteed but nothing in life is. The friend getting me on, has got me on before. He has a lot of pull in the company. I did get laid off, but it was because I was in a different group (eddy current). This time around I'll be working directly under him, or at least in his group (radiography). I'll also be full time rather than contract worker (contract workers are looked at as disposable, they are only there to fill in the numbers for turn around).

Contrats! Hope it works out well for you!

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I survived three strikes in my career (two of them ran 26 weeks in length) and "fill in workers" who worked during the strike ALWAYS got screwed when the dispute was settled. I hear what you're saying about "guaranteed a great job" but my experience does not support that. The company will use you, wipe their asses with you and kick you to the curb.

Take the job, make some money and rig a landing net in case they stab you.

Now is a great time to be looking for a job. If the "fill in" job runs you up to the holidays and stops, you are guaranteed six months of being jobless. Keep an active job search going......... just in case.

Best of luck to you!

Flash

Last edited:
    Top Bottom