DK Firearms

I need a job, but have nothing in my favor.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    You've ruled out lots of opportunity.
    Reality will get you back on track sooner or later.
    Get a job, then find a better one.
    There's major concern by an employer if you are currently unemployed.
    this and this.
    Im stuck in a bs paying job for now. .. but guess what i have to stay here until i find a better paying one. No more no less. So one has to dig in or be over run. Your choice. .
    And giving up ain't a option, unless you got a lot of quit in ya. ..
    Survive is the only word that works. I have been living check 2 check for the last two years. Until my 2yrs window class a drive time was up.
    In a month it is,
    Sorry this is TEXAS, we don't allow quit or a whole bunch of whining,
    I speak from what i know, i was homeless for 2yrs, so telling me you have nothing to offer is BS. .
    on yo feet troop, dig in, no matter what do what you don't like, for the time being, is motivation to find what you like. But no whaaaaaaaaa in your vocabulary is allowed
    Venture Surplus ad

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    "a good paying job with very good benefits" choked me on my coffee

a thing of the past, even for most college grads

True that... but keep applying for federal and state jobs. One day you might get lucky and find a job missed or unwanted by folks in the 'good ol' boys' network.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Problem is I don't have much work experience and no real qualifications.

Well, at least you're honest about it; but given that remark my recommendation is to take whatever you can get your hands on then start gaining experience and qualifications for a better job.

You can't expect to jump into a well paid gig without being able to offer something in return. I can't tell you how many resumes I've read that say the individual is a "hard worker." Sorry, it's overplayed.

What gets good-paying jobs is qualifications, experience and networking. Like or not, those are a fact of life.

Plus, it's a lot easier to find a job when you have one. You don't want large jobless gaps on your work history, it's a flag for most companies.

For now your job is to find a job. I hope you are putting in a maximum effort to do so. If you're not spending 8+ hours a day doing research or calling companies, then you are failing yourself. There's no "being spent," as that is a sign of giving up. If that is truly the case, than no one can help you besides yourself...

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    First, you say that, yet you are here networking on this site.

Second, Ben is right. Networking is very important.

Third, it sounds like your attitude needs a major adjustment. I could be wrong, I'm just basing that off your posts in this thread that sound self defeating. Also, you shouldn't publicly share that your at odds with family, friends, etc. Usually when people tell me stuff like that I think "what's the constant and what's the variable".

If you're in Houston area look up between job ministries. If you're not in Houston, get active in church or volunteer work. Very easy and cheap ways to expand your network. Also the volunteer work will keep you humble and feeling like you've invested your time into something meaningful.

Most of all, good luck. I pray for you. Read Jeremiah 29:11 and believe it.

So much truth in this post. I'm a hiring manager, and the first thing I do is read the person to determine if they're a fit for the team. THEN I look to see if they're a fit for the position. I understand you're feeling a little down right now, and your post reflects it while hinting at other issues. That could be your achilles heel without even realizing it.

Attitude and confidence is everything, especially when making contacts and working to land a position. Know your strengths, and be confident in them. It's okay not to know everything as well, don't embellish. I'm always looking for the person who knows how to find answers, not the one who knows everything.

TDCJ always needs Correctional officers.

Apply for a Correctional Officer Position

I have a buddy who has some, lets say minor attitude issues. He's not a bad person by any stretch of the imagination, in fact he's easily one of the most honest and honorable folks I know, but he does come across a little edgy or rough around the edges. He thrives in this environment and is advancing well, a perfect case of the person matching the job requirements.

this and this.
    Im stuck in a bs paying job for now. .. but guess what i have to stay here until i find a better paying one. No more no less. So one has to dig in or be over run. Your choice. .
    And giving up ain't a option, unless you got a lot of quit in ya. ..
    Survive is the only word that works. I have been living check 2 check for the last two years. Until my 2yrs window class a drive time was up.
    In a month it is,
    Sorry this is TEXAS, we don't allow quit or a whole bunch of whining,
    I speak from what i know, i was homeless for 2yrs, so telling me you have nothing to offer is BS. .
    on yo feet troop, dig in, no matter what do what you don't like, for the time being, is motivation to find what you like. But no whaaaaaaaaa in your vocabulary is allowed
    Man I love this guy. Never met you, but definitely want to.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    <snip> I'm a hiring manager, and the first thing I do is read the person to determine if they're a fit for the team. THEN I look to see if they're a fit for the position. I understand you're feeling a little down right now, and your post reflects it while hinting at other issues. That could be your achilles heel without even realizing it.

Attitude and confidence is everything, especially when making contacts and working to land a position. Know your strengths, and be confident in them. It's okay not to know everything as well, don't embellish. I'm always looking for the person who knows how to find answers, not the one who knows everything.<snip>

I got every job I ever applied for. I always showed confidence and willingness to work hard. Two jobs I applied for I told the owner I'd work for free for two days and if they like what I do then they can hire me at my asking wage. If they don't like what I do then I'll leave without asking for a single penny. That tactic worked for me.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Once in, work very hard and learn to make the bosses happy and say "Yes, sir" all the time. Become very politically correct for the given environment you're in and apply for every single step up the ladder you can get no matter how much you hate that job. You'll soon completely compromise and ruin everything about this thing you once loved until you can't imagine ever giving a damn about it and you'll eventually grow to passionately hate it way deep down to your bones. At this point, you'll be completely jaded, unhappy, frustrated, resentful, angry and... LONGING for retirement.

I've seen this played out many times and in essence, the story is true.........almost.

I NEVER kissed ass and if a boss got in my face (especially in front of my co-workers) his ass got a major tune up! I was NOT afraid, couldn't be intimidated, and took no crap.

I was always courteous, never missed work and had training from some of the best schools in the nation. Been laid off several times but was never fired. My career record for perfect attendance is nearly spotless!

I worked in the Steel Mill and they were trying to snag a whole new forming line that was being relocated from another division. They needed a print to show Corporate what their proposal looked like. I asked them to give me a desk with the AutoCad computer and from their dimensions, I inserted the line into our building space print. We won the prize and got that forming line!

We kept breaking the same parts in a machine called the "Nester". The guys always scabbed on patches as there were no spares. I redesigned that part, then furnished fabrication prints so our welder could make reliable parts in bulk.

These machines were one of a kind and it took some skill to devise a repair. Meanwhile, in a breakdown, the line was down and production stopped. You had to work fast!

Get training. When you finish that, get MORE training!

Those are the things that KEEP your job. Ass kissing doesn't hold a candle to competence!

Flash

Last edited:

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    To be honest, I didn't kiss-ass either. In fact, I sometimes had some very choice words for (and actions against) both Civil Service supervisors and Military Commanders. But I was vested in my Civil Service job and if an employee is clearly in the right and knows anything about the system and isn't afraid to take whatever actions are necessary... there's not a damn thing they can do to you... at least not in the long-term. Corporate and small business can be very different animals in some ways though. My CS job was the last one I held. I didn't always get along with business owners before that either and there were a couple of times I left with zero notice and if I didn't already have another job lined up I did so within days, not weeks.

EDIT: My point was it may be necessary to walk on egg shells for awhile if you're desperate for a job.

Once in, work very hard and learn to make the bosses happy and say "Yes, sir" all the time. Become very politically correct for the given environment you're in and apply for every single step up the ladder you can get no matter how much you hate that job. You'll soon completely compromise and ruin everything about this thing you once loved until you can't imagine ever giving a damn about it and you'll eventually grow to passionately hate it way deep down to your bones. At this point, you'll be completely jaded, unhappy, frustrated, resentful, angry and... LONGING for retirement.

I've seen this played out many times and in essence, the story is true.........almost.

I NEVER kissed ass and if a boss got in my face (especially in front of my co-workers) his ass got a major tune up! I was NOT afraid, couldn't be intimidated, and took no crap.

I was always courteous, never missed work and had training from some of the best schools in the nation. Been laid off several times but was never fired. My career record for perfect attendance is nearly spotless!

I worked in the Steel Mill and they were trying to snag a whole new forming line that was being relocated from another division. They needed a print to show Corporate what their proposal looked like. I asked them to give me a desk with the AutoCad computer and from their dimensions, I inserted the line into our building space print. We won the prize and got that forming line!

We kept breaking the same parts in a machine called the "Nester". The guys always scabbed on patches as there were no spares. I redesigned that part, then furnished fabrication prints so our welder could make reliable parts in bulk.

These machines were one of a kind and it took some skill to devise a repair. Meanwhile, in a breakdown, the line was down and production stopped. You had to work fast!

Get training. When you finish that, get MORE training!

Those are the things that KEEP your job. Ass kissing doesn't hold a candle to competence!

Flash

Last edited:

Dredens

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Sealy
    Whelp, I mean, it's not for everyone, but I've met many fellow soldiers whom joined the service literally because they couldn't find anything else to do (or were bored). Many of them excelled in that kind of purpose-driven environment. Some are lifers, some are one-timers and some are in-between. Just saying, only qualifications are pretty much not being a dirtbag or criminal (from your statements it seems like you're rather straight-edge), and they'll train you in a skill that you can use later. Unless you've got some ridiculous disqualifying medical history or conditions, I don't see why you shouldn't be able to get in eventually. It's something to really look at.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    First, you say that, yet you are here networking on this site.

Second, Ben is right. Networking is very important.

Third, it sounds like your attitude needs a major adjustment. I could be wrong, I'm just basing that off your posts in this thread that sound self defeating. Also, you shouldn't publicly share that your at odds with family, friends, etc. Usually when people tell me stuff like that I think "what's the constant and what's the variable".

If you're in Houston area look up between job ministries. If you're not in Houston, get active in church or volunteer work. Very easy and cheap ways to expand your network. Also the volunteer work will keep you humble and feeling like you've invested your time into something meaningful.

Most of all, good luck. I pray for you. Read Jeremiah 29:11 and believe it.

Well, at least you're honest about it; but given that remark my recommendation is to take whatever you can get your hands on then start gaining experience and qualifications for a better job.

You can't expect to jump into a well paid gig without being able to offer something in return. I can't tell you how many resumes I've read that say the individual is a "hard worker." Sorry, it's overplayed.

What gets good-paying jobs is qualifications, experience and networking. Like or not, those are a fact of life.

Plus, it's a lot easier to find a job when you have one. You don't want large jobless gaps on your work history, it's a flag for most companies.

For now your job is to find a job. I hope you are putting in a maximum effort to do so. If you're not spending 8+ hours a day doing research or calling companies, then you are failing yourself. There's no "being spent," as that is a sign of giving up. If that is truly the case, than no one can help you besides yourself...

Two excellent posts. I only hope the OP heeds the advice.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    There are a lot of folks out there right now that are working jobs that they do not intend to do for the rest of their life. They do what they have to do in order to make ends meet & get by. "I don't want to do that" wont fly when your belly button is rubbing a blister on yer back bone.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    There are a lot of folks out there right now that are working jobs that they do not intend to do for the rest of their life. They do what they have to do in order to make ends meet & get by. "I don't want to do that" wont fly when your belly button is rubbing a blister on yer back bone.
    now dats just a tru statement

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas

RE financial adversity (and I know this isn't the OP's mindset) but just sharing...

IAmSupernova

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2015
    Baytown
    Why were you fired?

Absences due to complications with my medication. They told me I needed a doctor's note, which I provided but evidently it wasn't good enough. Was not allowed to work while under the effects of my medication and couldn't sleep it off. I was on the overnight shift which wasn't helping anything. I had to change meds, which I did but not soon enough.

As soon as this stupid strike is over, I'm pretty much guaranteed a great job in a field I actually enjoy working in. Had planned to just live off of our savings until it was over but it's taking longer than expected. It was supposed to be over already.

The retail job I had was something I was just doing to keep afloat while waiting on something better.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Knock em Dead series by Martin Yates - get Resumes, Job Interviews and Job search guide.

Work on your resumes and submit apps like crazy. Begger cant be choosers, get your butt in somewhere and start working on a skill and gaining experience in something.

Look at local, state and federal positions. Those usually do well for long term benefits. As for pay, you won't get rich. Entry level is enough to scrape by. Often you are treated like a rented mule by the people you serve (you are in customer service after all) and the work schedule is tough. But you're stable and employed. Gives you time to plan your growth. Once you get into the system, it makes lateral transfers and career moves more attainable.

Pick up licenses or certifications now - they are easy, makes you hireable and shows initiative. Take tests or have results ready of your most recent qualification scores for any skilled positions your applying for.

Take chances, go to those interviews dressed right, present yourself properly, send post-interview thank you letters. Do everything by the book as far as the entire job search interview by the book rules. You have to focus on sellig yourself. YOU are the product and you have to market and sell it. Mae yourself presentable. Change your attitude. A sulky, jaded negative cancer of a candidate is not what any company wants.

Get those books I mentioned, they'll help tremendously in getting you ready and walk you through where you're at.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    True that... but keep applying for federal and state jobs. One day you might get lucky and find a job missed or unwanted by folks in the 'good ol' boys' network.
    This. Crawl through usajobs.gov weekly, at minimum, and be creative with your searches.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom