• ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    i had a red 1966 convertible in ss396. jt had a tach mounted low on the dash, just above knee level. ln '73, i nearly gave it away when gas got all the way up to 50 cents a gallon. i only got about 6 mpg. to add insult to injury, i bought a new '73 vega gt. it couldn't get out of it's own way. about 90 horsepower. it started using oil at about 13.000 miles and the tires wore out about the same time.
    My first car was a 74 Vega GT, when I turned 16 in 74.

Took it to the track in Corpus one time, bracket racing.
    Won my bracket, and the "little eliminator" title, with a dial in of 19.10 seconds.
    Just able to be consistent with the 4 speed, lol.

ETA: No, I don't have the time slip....
    Guns International

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    My first car was a mustang… I don’t really miss it, because I do have a ‘67 Cougar that scratches the “pony car” itch.

However, I loved my Datsun 1600 pickup and still regret having sold it off to a friend that needed it to move out of CA. It was perfect for loading a motorcycle into.
    View attachment 341441
    Ha, my first was a 77 Datsun pickup. Points, rotor, plugs and EGR valve replacement annually (less than 12k miles back then). The 4 wheel drum brakes that were NOT self adjusting were always fun since you'd never now which tire would lock up first. But those shoes also had to be replaced annually. Water pump would usually last 2 years before leaking and require a replacement. Luckily the speed limit was 55 back then since going downhill with a wind behind you would get the speedo up to almost 80mph. I carried a Honda 250 dirt bike in it but that required air shocks and the tailgate being left down. I did tow an old tri-hull boat for skiing frequently and luckily that was short distance since I don't think I hit over 45-50mph.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Ha, my first was a 77 Datsun pickup. Points, rotor, plugs and EGR valve replacement annually (less than 12k miles back then). The 4 wheel drum brakes that were NOT self adjusting were always fun since you'd never now which tire would lock up first. But those shoes also had to be replaced annually. Water pump would usually last 2 years before leaking and require a replacement. Luckily the speed limit was 55 back then since going downhill with a wind behind you would get the speedo up to almost 80mph. I carried a Honda 250 dirt bike in it but that required air shocks and the tailgate being left down. I did tow an old tri-hull boat for skiing frequently and luckily that was short distance since I don't think I hit over 45-50mph.
    mine was a 72 / i believe the 1600 only went to the early 70s. it also had an L18 engine, sonit was way easy driving. yeah, i’m no fan of their later models (after 73).

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    i had a red 1966 convertible in ss396. jt had a tach mounted low on the dash, just above knee level. ln '73, i nearly gave it away when gas got all the way up to 50 cents a gallon. i only got about 6 mpg. to add insult to injury, i bought a new '73 vega gt. it couldn't get out of it's own way. about 90 horsepower. it started using oil at about 13.000 miles and the tires wore out about the same time.
    I did almost the same thing. I had a guy that stayed after me to sell him the Chevelle. 4:10 gears and a young foot, I couldn't afford to drive it when gas got scarce. I had a 6 cylinder Chevy II that I drove most of the time. I gave in and sold it. The guy had it about a month and totaled it.

Mine had the factory gauges in the dash and the tach mounted low.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    56 Chevy, 283 bored out, 3 speed manual transmission and a truck rear end. Flat black primer color.
    Many, many years ago, my brother and I had very similar trucks. I had a 1965 c-10 with a Pontiac 455 and a TH400 transmission that was dark blue. His was a 1964 C-10 with a 327 and Muncie four speed and painted baby shit yellow. He could take me off the line, but I always got him at the top end of the quarter mile.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My 91, with 383 stroker....

2017-07-08_03-46-27.jpg

Top Bottom