Gun Zone Deals

I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charges

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Offcamber

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Fort Worth
    Expounding on this then please explain the non-applicability of carrying a semi-auto if you have an NSA class CHL. If 46.02 does not apply to knives then it must not also apply to carrying any other type of handgun. The 46.02 exemption does not hold water legally and this case will be a wobbler. Hopefully the DA will drop the charges and go on about his day.

46.15 specifically states you must carry the type of handgun listed on your license.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charg

Not much I can offer other than best wishes, but I'll do whatever I can.

Sent from my RobCo Pip-Boy 3000.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas

Wow, best of luck fighting this, for your immediate and our future rights. Stinks that you will become the precedent but someone has to. Subscribed so I can keep up with this and watching for the support fund to help out a little.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Definitely let us know what type of support you need and when. I hope this get sorted out and sets a positive precedent.

We need to repeal our archaic knife laws. Too late for this session though.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I find that they arrested you with the idea that the DA would just sort it out kind of interesting. The DPS officers obviously didn't feel like you were a threat otherwise they wouldn't have let you go pee or debate the law with you for any amount of time. If they had actually thought you were dangerous they would have immediately put you under arrest. Would it have been an option for them to just issue you a citation to appear in court on the charges? To me that seems it would have been more appropriate considering you were not a threat to anyone and also because they seemed unclear on the law.

Let that be a lesson for all; A CHL is exactly that, a Concealed HANDGUN License.
    A lesson? lol... thanks, dad.
    According to some folks that have spoken to the legislators that drafted the law, they intentionally worded the bill to exempt someone from all of 46.02 if they have a CHL. It seems silly that someone would be allowed to carry a handgun but not a knife. I think a statement from someone who co-authored the bill about it's intent could be very powerful in court. ...or maybe not, I dunno :p

If 46.02 does not apply to knives then it must not also apply to carrying any other type of handgun. The 46.02 exemption does not hold water legally and this case will be a wobbler.
    46.15 specifically states you must carry the type of handgun listed on your license.
    This raises an interesting point... If you have a NSA CHL and are carrying a revolver, can you also carry a semi-auto at the same time because the CHL + revolver = exemption from 46.02?

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Cool, so all the folks who qualified with a revolver and regret it can just throw an NAA mini revolver in their pocket and then carry a real self defense gun ;)

If there is anything dumber than SA/NSA in our CHL law, I do not know what it is.

Dred

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    Houston, TX

Mate

Don't want to throw this thread too far off topic, but I am curious.

You went to testify re: Campus Carry. Did you get the opportunity? Any feedback regarding getting that one out of comittee this session?

Also, Facebook makes it very easy to collect support funds. It also brings it out of our (gun freakish) hands and into the population at large. Achieving critical mass at grass roots isn't supposed to make a difference legally, but I believe it does.

Please accept my thanks, and I'll be happy to add a bit of financial help when you decide it's appropriate.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast

Yes, you are exempt from 46.02

When will you stop? When another forum member goes to jail? The only exemption a CHL holder has is from a handgun of the same category listed on their license. Folks need to remember the difference from the Internet and the real freaking world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    When will you stop? When another forum member goes to jail? The only exemption a CHL holder has is from a handgun of the same category listed on their license. Folks need to remember the difference from the Internet and the real freaking world.

Never.

Yes, it is my fault he carried a knife and got arrested. I forced him to carry a knife into the Capitol. I pointed it out to Officer Friendly. Jeez. Grow up. One is exempt from all of 46.02. There is no picking and choosing the sections you like. You do not get to decide if that is what the legislature meant or not. Case Law on this is rock solid.

Here is another one:

Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
    (1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

Note the absence of a "from a motor vehicle". So while it is legal to carry to, you cannot carry it from. Texas law is full of anomolies, search my yearly post on Letting non family members cut the Thanskgiving Turkey.

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX

Note the absence of a "from a motor vehicle". So while it is legal to carry to, you cannot carry it from.

/sarcasm on

So, what you're saying is, if you carry it to your car, make sure you pull back into the garage before taking it back into the house.

/sarcasm off

Too bad we don't have a font or emoticon for that.
    The law is plainly on matefrio's side and I agree with your view renegade. I just find it humorous that I have read that statute a hundred times and never noticed its a violation of the law to carry it from the car. Lol.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    /sarcasm on

So, what you're saying is, if you carry it to your car, make sure you pull back into the garage before taking it back into the house.

/sarcasm off

I think if you are on your own property (not just in garage) you are OK. But if you park your car on the public street you are not.

Penal Code is full of these little gems. Sometimes they get cleaned up, sometimes not.

TundraWookiee

Scruffy Nerf Herder
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Good luck buddy and I tip my hat to you for not merely talking about something but actually testing it. Bravo and I hope it turns out well.

Brought to you courtesy of Tapatalk

kaiserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Mansfield, Texas

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

<sarcasm> John, You have to understand that the forum has better info than any lawyer or court of law. </sarcasm>

This forum is very similar to Texas CHL Forum, in the aspect that assumptions about the text of the law seem to supersede the actual facts of the law. Too many people get misinformation from friends and forums, believe me I would love to be exempt from 46.02 having a CHL; but the facts say otherwise.

Top Bottom