Patriot Mobile

I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charges

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Were you out to make a test case of yourself? Doesn't look so from your posts. Ideally this would be done with someone who is prepared to be arrested and has backing already lined up for a court case.

I knew the risk of being this test case and threw my hat over the fence believing I was not doing anything wrong and shouldn't be arrested.

I may have put the cart before the horse but I didn't see anyone else willing to be the horse.
    ARJ Defense ad

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I'm looking forward to hearing about where this goes. Good luck and keep the updates coming!

Sent from Hicksville.....or while dreaming of Hicksville

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Depends on the DA and what his/her pet cause might be, Clarke. I don't know anything about the Austin/Travis County DA but I do have bad experiences with the one in Hays County...

Never assume that criminal charges are "just a misdemeanor" and "everything will be fine" until you're done with the trial.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I Didn't Beat the Ride - Illegal Knife + CHL + Concealed Handgun = Jail + Charg

Good luck. Hope you get through without any lasting effects.

kurt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Tyler, Texas
    Damn. Texas has some silly knife laws I'd love to see thrown out altogether. Amazing that we consider ourselves such a free state (certainly at the top of the heap) yet have such draconian knife laws. Good luck and if we can help in any way let us know.

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Good luck. An idea here (which you've probably already considered) - there may be some pro-knife organizations willing to help with the legal fees in order to get this through.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ

AlamoMIA

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Arlington, Texas
    The legislative intent of 46.02 is to "prevent crime". Had you not been a CHL holder you were traveling. The Capitol was your destination - the end of your loop of travel. Your time spent inside the Capitol was a temporary suspension of travel tangential to the purpose of your travel. In Moosani v Texas that Texas court recognized that the temporary suspension of travel does not terminate the act of traveling.

That's another aspect as to why 46.02 is not applicable to your circumstance.

God bless you - Good luck, and thank you for ALL of us CHL holders for bringing this boil to the surface.. the earth is shaking just East of the Alamo. Jim Bowie is rolling over in his grave .....

Last edited:

GrandpaOf18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Elmendorf TX
    Bummer this happened, but looking forward to a PROPER resolution for you, and hopefully for all.

It does seem asinine, that as a CHL holder, your gun was ok, but not a knife.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The legislative intent of 46.02 is to "prevent crime". Had you not been a CHL holder you were traveling. The Capitol was your destination - the end of your loop of travel. Your time spent inside the Capitol was a temporary suspension of travel tangential to the purpose of your travel. In Moosani v Texas that Texas court recognized that the temporary suspension of travel does not terminate the act of traveling.

That's another aspect as to why 46.02 is not applicable to your circumstance.

God bless you - Good luck, and thank you for ALL of us CHL holders for bringing this boil to the surface.. the earth is shaking just East of the Alamo. Jim Bowie is rolling over in his grave .....

What's traveling got to do with it? I thought all references to that were removed once the Motorist Protection Act was passed back in 2009?

Matefrio, I don't know if you intended to be a test case for this issue or if you unwittingly became one. I hope this does get resolved in your favor but I must admit you took an awfully big leap of faith by carrying a knife known to be of questionable length based on your interpretation of the law.

It's a huge risk that may come back to haunt you, hopefully it won't and if you do win your case you will definitely set a precedence as well as answer the question concerning this statute which has been debated for a very long time...

Good luck! M2

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    Does blade length measure that actual part of a blade that has been sharpened or is it from the tip of the blade to the handle? This has always been a confusing subject to me as I have seen knives measured both ways.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Does blade length measure that actual part of a blade that has been sharpened or is it from the tip of the blade to the handle? This has always been a confusing subject to me as I have seen knives measured both ways.

(6) "Illegal knife" means a:
    (A) knife with a blade over five and one-half inches;

Top Bottom