• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Fondren Middle School tutor arrested after gun found in vehicle in parking lot | abc13.com

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- A tutor at a southwest Houston middle school was arrested after police say they found a loaded pistol in her vehicle Friday morning.

A law that went into effect in September 2011, makes it legal for anyone with a concealed handgun license to keep a gun locked up in their car at work, even if the workplace policy prohibits a guns on property. However, this law doesn't apply to schools and certain industrial sites.

The just did the story on TV news and reported Charetta Kemp told students she had a gun in the car. If so, DA move.

I thought only Federal agents could make an arrest for this charge.
    Hurley's Gold

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is no such charge as "illegal possession of a weapon on campus".

Since we don't know what she was actually arrested for, it is not possible to determine if the arrest was lawful.

The 2011 law they quote in the article does not affect the legality of anything, it effects employer policy. News media is stupid.

TexasCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2012
    Houston area
    There is a federal 1000' gun-free-zone around schools. But citizens with a Texas CHL are allowed to store their weapons in their locked vehicle in the parking lot. And the Texas legislature did make it illegal for an employer to fire an employee for having a weapon in their vehicle in the parking lot in 2011. But for some reason, schools are exempt from the parking lot law & can fire their employees if they violate a 'no firearms on campus' policy. Bad move on the part of the teacher/tutor if she did indeed open her yap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    There is no such charge as "illegal possession of a weapon on campus".

Since we don't know what she was actually arrested for, it is not possible to determine if the arrest was lawful.

The 2011 law they quote in the article does not affect the legality of anything, it effects employer policy. News media is stupid.

Bingo! Bingo! TI comes through for us again! We have a winner! Eff the federales and their "make it up as you go" laws!

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I read a texas law shield bulletin last year that stated that you can carry concealed all the way up to the schools fro t door. Once you cross the threshold and enter the school then you are in violation. Wonder if she had a chl.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is a federal 1000' gun-free-zone around schools. But citizens with a Texas CHL are allowed to store their weapons in their locked vehicle in the parking lot. And the Texas legislature did make it illegal for an employer to fire an employee for having a weapon in their vehicle in the parking lot in 2011. But for some reason, schools are exempt from the parking lot law & can fire their employees if they violate a 'no firearms on campus' policy. Bad move on the part of the teacher/tutor if she did indeed open her yap.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

The law did not make it illegal to fire an employee. It made it illegal have a policy.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    I haven't been able to find the actual charges.
    This is currently the top comment at KHOU.

HISD tutor arrested after loaded gun found in car | khou.com Houston

Michael W. Elliott · Works at Attorney and CHL Instructor

Good morning Mr. karedes.

My name is Michael Elliott and I am also a DPS certified CHL instructor and Federally Licensed FFL dealer and am wondering if ayone has pointed out that Ms. Kemp was not doing anything illegal by carring her loaded pistol in the glove box of her car in the parking lot. The police or school district had no legal authority to arrest her and she violated no laws. More specifically,
    Texas Penal Code secton 46.03 is the applicable section entitled "Places weapons prohibited", and under section 1 of thas section states that "A person is prihibited from carrying a weapon on the physical premesis of a school". Section 46.03 (c) (1) of the same section states than "Premesis" has the meaning assigned by 46.035 of the Penal Code. Section 46.035 (f) (3) defines "Premesis" as "A building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or parking area." Therefore, the issue is abundantly clear and uncontraverted, Ms. Kemp did not violate any laws and should have never been arrested or incercerated. If I can be if any further assistance if answer any further questions, please feel free to call or email me.

Sent from Elliott's IPad

Last edited:

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    I haven't been able to find the actual charges.
    This is currently the top comment at KHOU.

HISD tutor arrested after loaded gun found in car | khou.com Houston

Michael W. Elliott · Works at Attorney and CHL Instructor

Good morning Mr. karedes.

My name is Michael Elliott and I am also a DPS certified CHL instructor and Federally Licensed FFL dealer and am wondering if ayone has pointed out that Ms. Kemp was not doing anything illegal by carring her loaded pistol in the glove box of her car in the parking lot. The police or school district had no legal authority to arrest her and she violated no laws. More specifically,
    Texas Penal Code secton 46.03 is the applicable section entitled "Places weapons prohibited", and under section 1 of thas section states that "A person is prihibited from carrying a weapon on the physical premesis of a school". Section 46.03 (c) (1) of the same section states than "Premesis" has the meaning assigned by 46.035 of the Penal Code. Section 46.035 (f) (3) defines "Premesis" as "A building or a portion of a building. The term does not include any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or parking area." Therefore, the issue is abundantly clear and uncontraverted, Ms. Kemp did not violate any laws and should have never been arrested or incercerated. If I can be if any further assistance if answer any further questions, please feel free to call or email me.

Sent from Elliott's IPad

That's good stuff.

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    Question: While it appears that Ms. Kemp violated no laws, is there anything keeping here employer from letting her go, anyway?

Wabbit69

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Austin
    Right to work state so, no.

Yeah, that's what I though. Just read the text of SB321. She's fired. Pretty cut and dried. As a side note, even if the law prohibited the employee from being fired, it's not too hard to have your position eliminated due to budgetary constraints.

n2pistols

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Hurst, Texas
    Not sure why the teacher told her students she had a gun in her car. I don't even tell my family when I am carrying at home, not the same as that teachers situation but i think it is my business only.

Top Bottom