• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Soo....how does a Police agency get to investigate themselves? Why isn't there a civilian oversite board to evaluate and investigate these Officer involved shootings and civil rights violations? This is such a tragedy and an abuse of power in the name of security. I would rather have no cops, than corrupt cops who would abuse the public and we are seeing this more and more.

There is: http://www.houstontx.gov/boards/ipob.html

You just have to understand that this town is an urban, liberal cesspool, not at all different in composition to the Chicago's and Detroit's of this country.

IOW ... designed just to give the citizens a warm, fuzzy illusion ... nothing more.
    Texas SOT

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Just thinking about the families making bucks off this major screw up, which they should.
    Unfortunately, that includes the mom who basically helped get her daughter killed (allegedly).

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Just thinking about the families making bucks off this major screw up, which they should.
    Unfortunately, that includes the mom who basically helped get her daughter killed (allegedly).

Whatever they get, it won't be enough. The mom that reported her daughter should get nothing.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

Isn’t that like wrecking your new truck to get insurance money to make the truck payment?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I am not doubting because I don't know, but you seem sure, and I'd like to know. Is there a law in the Government code that allows the him to order the Rangers to investigate?

Not sure on the exact law, but there is precedent in cases of public corruption. They have done it before. Perhaps they were invited? Not clear on all the details on their prior involvement.

For example, they are in charge of the Amber Guyger shooting investigation, and investigated the Hearne Police Dept among others. I know they also were involved in the recent Baylor investigation.

It seems their responsibilities are somewhat vague, perhaps on purpose. It would seem they would have an open door in the Houston debacle due to the CF it appears to be.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What do you mean "they are in charge" of the Guyger case?
    The Ranger are the investigative arm of our state police, the DPS. They CAN investigate any crime within the state, but I don't know that they can take over jurisdiction.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    What do you mean "they are in charge" of the Guyger case?
    The Ranger are the investigative arm of our state police, the DPS. They CAN investigate any crime within the state, but I don't know that they can take over jurisdiction.

They were invited by the chief on the Guyger case.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/w...gating-the-botham-jean-shooting/287-593180795

Pretty sure they were not invited in these cases:

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local...cle_f9d5b8d0-f2cb-54bf-b8de-cc8bbcc3f772.html

https://abc13.com/texas-rangers-investigating-pvamu-police-shooting-in-austin-co/5137320/

https://www.statesman.com/NEWS/2018...ce-is-on-leave-in-Texas-Rangers-investigation

https://tylerpaper.com/news/local/t...cle_e6f27d08-0781-11e9-9987-af46496d9ab4.html

Gov Abbott was the driving force in getting them involved in the Baylor investigation. They were not in charge of that one, but somehow involved.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I am not doubting because I don't know, but you seem sure, and I'd like to know. Is there a law in the Government code that allows the him to order the Rangers to investigate?

The Rangers have investigated quite a number of police departments, sheriff's departments, local governments, etc. over the years. Enough that I am quite certain they have jurisdiction even though I do not know the code section to which to refer you.

Edit: Deemus just provided some specific examples while I was typing.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Our Sheriff's Office has a policy that all Deputy shootings will be investigated by the Rangers......which the Rangers honor...

I believe it is up to the individual local LEO agency to request those investigations in the case of individual LEO shootings....

I could be wrong but that is my understanding......

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    The FBI's involvement will be interesting to say the least. This is after their Hostage Rescue Team killed the hostage they were trying to rescue on the northeast side. HPD and the DA's office were working that case and last I heard the FBI wasn't being very cooperative and it quietly slipped out of the media spotlight.

The Rangers get invited to work a lot of cases, especially for smaller departments that don't have the resources, manpower or experience for larger investigations. I think that HPD's Special Investigations Unit is more than capable of handling this case, but its probably better to let a 3rd party work it in this instance.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The FBI's involvement will be interesting to say the least. This is after their Hostage Rescue Team killed the hostage they were trying to rescue on the northeast side. HPD and the DA's office were working that case and last I heard the FBI wasn't being very cooperative and it quietly slipped out of the media spotlight.

The Rangers get invited to work a lot of cases, especially for smaller departments that don't have the resources, manpower or experience for larger investigations. I think that HPD's Special Investigations Unit is more than capable of handling this case, but its probably better to let a 3rd party work it in this instance.

Heeey-Yaaaa

Last edited:

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Heeey-Yaaaa

In almost 20 years of being on various forums you win the prize of finally figuring out my username. I loved listening to Outkast back in high school and picked that as a username on AOL and never got around to changing it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom