Venture Surplus ad

Home Defense rounds for apartment living.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I would add a bayonet lug and bayonet, then load these: Zombie Blaster™ « Lightfield – Manufacturers of Premium Ammunition - That way after you blind them, you can stab them repeatedly. There - no chance of over-penetration. :D

I wonder what this does to the shooter, especially indoors, partial description from the website.....

"such an intense concussion punch it will deafen, blind and then knock the brains right out of a Zombie… guaranteed!"

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Get some of the Turkey Shot loads (Magnum preferred). Everyone says that "bird shot is not a good man stopper". But at less than 15 feet? You're toast, no matter what you're hit with, from a shotgun. Especially if it's a 12 Gauge.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    With a bad guy 10 feet away there is no way I would put my family's life in the hands of a bean bag. Nothing personal, but that sounds foolish to me.

I would go with training and awareness before neutering my shotgun.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    How are we choosing the size and physical ability of our attacker? Recently there was an article abut a cop that shot some dude over 15 times (IIRC) and he kept on fighting. If I meet that guy I am going to use everything that shotgun can deliver.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    A blank will kill you dead, Actor Jon-Erik Hexum proved that. A homemade blank will kill you dead also as it did with Bruce Lee's kid Brandon.
    I though a bullet got lodged in the barrel of the pistol and the blank propelled it through the barrel to kill Bruce Lee's son.

MrZ2u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Pflugerville
    Here is a pic of 3in steel BB, 00 Buck and PDX-1 at 15 then 25 ft. 18.1 inch cylinder bore barrel
    20130201_141124_zps6dfa14dd.jpg

This will be redone at some point in the future. I did this on a lark, was alone and it was windy so the cardboard moved and I did not feel like wasting a bunch of ammo.

I used to keep 3 BB then 00 buck but now I just keep all 00 buck in my tube and PDX-1 in the side saddle.

I think 00 at 15 ft is gonna ruin your day and PDX-1 seems just impossible to survive. I would love to see someone build a 2x4 studded wall with sheet rock on both sides and put some gel on the other at various distances from said wall and see what it does ... even hit a few studs to see what happens.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Here is a pic of 3in steel BB, 00 Buck and PDX-1 at 15 then 25 ft. 18.1 inch cylinder bore barrel
    20130201_141124_zps6dfa14dd.jpg

This will be redone at some point in the future. I did this on a lark, was alone and it was windy so the cardboard moved and I did not feel like wasting a bunch of ammo.

I used to keep 3 BB then 00 buck but now I just keep all 00 buck in my tube and PDX-1 in the side saddle.

I think 00 at 15 ft is gonna ruin your day and PDX-1 seems just impossible to survive. I would love to see someone build a 2x4 studded wall with sheet rock on both sides and put some gel on the other at various distances from said wall and see what it does ... even hit a few studs to see what happens.

Some of these are wallboard tests. http://www.brassfetcher.com/12 Gauge/12 Gauge Shotgun Summary Table.pdf You can find more at different sites if you search around. I think ATK does some, but I think that's mostly with handgun ammunition. Shotguns are (rightly and finally IMO) falling out of favor while everybody goes to carbines.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    You know, I've gone back and forth on my opinion on this topic for awhile now. I've always been pretty adamant about using OO buck where possible. As of right now, I'm more of the opinion that being AGGRESSIVE is more important than anything else. What I mean by that is, even if all you have is birdshot, who cares? Understand the limitations, if you reach the point of being legally justified to fire, keep firing until the threat is no longer a threat. At close range, typical home defense distances, and especially at apartment distances, even with birdshot you can do some damage. True, it under-penetrates quite a bit, so just fire more shots and choose more effective targets if possible (the face). If you have a semi auto, even better. Imagine a rapid fire string of 12ga, or heck even 20ga at close range, to the upper thoracic and/or face. I'm sure that would be rather effective on target to at least make them question whether they picked the wrong house or not. If you don't have surroundings that warrant being cautious about over-penetration (rural instead of apartment in the city), by all means, use whatever buck you'd like. I wouldn't feel at all insecure about bird shot for home defense, though, just understand the limitations and act accordingly.

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    How are we choosing the size and physical ability of our attacker? Recently there was an article abut a cop that shot some dude over 15 times (IIRC) and he kept on fighting. If I meet that guy I am going to use everything that shotgun can deliver.

Were they using handguns? If so, that explains it... Handgun cartridges are poor 'man stoppers'.

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    Have you considered something like this?

IMG_1683_zpsc8ee340f.jpg

I would assume something that can be used in CBQ situations for the military & police, would be ideal for someone in an apartment (I did read one negative review on it once before though). It's a 2.75" shell so it won't have the penetration capacity of a 3" magnum shell and it is loaded to be low-recoil, but it DOES use lead 00 Buckshot pellets for man-stopping capabilities. I have not personally fired any of these, but I assume someone here might have at one point or another.

Top Bottom