APOD Firearms

Home Defense rounds for apartment living.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    There was a gun related show on cable TV a few weeks ago. The narrator was adamant that a home defense shotgun loaded with copper plated #4s was the perfect defense weapon. I competed for many years in registered Trap and Skeet competitions. I am well aware of the damage even #9 loads can do. If you are a "show me" type of guy, then buy yourself a good sized watermelon. Take it somewhere that will allow you to shoot it. Stand back 15 to 20 feet and fire away. If your aim is good, the watermelon will disappear. I have send many a helpless watermelon to heaven during my shotgun lessons. Note, I said if your aim is good. Same with any rifle or handgun. A Barrett .50 cal won't help you, if you can't put lead on target.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There was a gun related show on cable TV a few weeks ago. The narrator was adamant that a home defense shotgun loaded with copper plated #4s was the perfect defense weapon. I competed for many years in registered Trap and Skeet competitions. I am well aware of the damage even #9 loads can do. If you are a "show me" type of guy, then buy yourself a good sized watermelon. Take it somewhere that will allow you to shoot it. Stand back 15 to 20 feet and fire away. If your aim is good, the watermelon will disappear. I have send many a helpless watermelon to heaven during my shotgun lessons. Note, I said if your aim is good. Same with any rifle or handgun. A Barrett .50 cal won't help you, if you can't put lead on target.

So because he was on TV, we're supposed to believe that he is right?

What we need instead of the watermelon test is ballistics gel covered with multiple layers of clothing. Anybody got a link?

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What about those little short, stubby rounds they make for increased capacity in the tube magazines? I know nothing about them but heard they are just under-powered, short (1 1/34"+/-) rounds. May work for apartment style living. Anybody ever shoot them? Got any opinions.?

Seriously underpowered and do not feed in a manner I'd consider reliable. It can require modifying the shotgun to get them to feed at all.

Barry Green

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2013
    What we need instead of the watermelon test is ballistics gel covered with multiple layers of clothing. Anybody got a link?

12 Gauge Birdshot For Home Defense??? - YouTube

#8 shot from a 12-gauge. And no denim. And, he doesn't use true ballistic gel, he uses Sim-Test, but -- still quite illustrative. The pellets went about 4" to 6", and even one that made it to almost 12" (of course, that's out of 492 pellets, barely a few made it further than about 6"). You have to assume the denim would have slowed them down, and denim isn't really that big a deal on a solid projectile test; denim is largely used with hollow points to see if they'll plug up the cavity and cause bullet failure; that's not an issue with an FMJ or buck.

So, yeah, pretty much pointless for self defense -- unless perhaps at point blank range.

For a little comparison, check out what the same tester found with 12-gauge 00 buck.
    SHOTGUN 00 BUCKSHOT Ballistic Gel Test - YouTube

Fast-forward to about 2:10; the buckshot picks up the block impressively, and it breaks the table.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

,50 BMG rounds are made of mild steel so it is a terrible choice for putting lead on target:p

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Haahaa, I will keep that in mind if I am ever attacked by a watermelon, or something that behaves like watermelon when shot.......

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Seriously underpowered and do not feed in a manner I'd consider reliable. It can require modifying the shotgun to get them to feed at all.
    From another perspective (and I've shot a few boxes of these rounds) an underpowered shotgun is still a shotgun. If someone is leaving a coach gun behind the kitchen door for emergency use by the less-skilled folks in the house, these shells may have some use. After all, they do come in a slug load and a 7/8-ounce slug at 1250 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

Joe Biden would probably recommend them. ;)

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    Birdshot (aka shot) is typically available in sizes 9 (.08" dia) up to size T (.20" dia). Then there is Buckshot (aka buck) that is typically available in sizes 4 (.24" dia) up to size 000 (.36" dia). So there is #4 shot (.13" dia) and #4 buck (.24" dia). So it makes quite a bit of difference depending on whether you're talking about bird shot or buck shot.

Now I know, good think I always grab the box of shells with birds on em...
    Lol

Mic

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Austin
    Also, keep in mind that you have to think of your particular scenario: what shot are you most likely to have to take, what shots might you possibly have to take, what's on the other side. In my house, the most likely shot I would have to take will head down the hall and could go straight out a window towards my neighbor's house. Sound like a dangerous thing? Nope. He's got a brick wall on that side - no concern there. The confrontation that concerns me is the home invasion straight into my door with me sitting at my desk right there. My shot would go toward my front door (which has just been opened) and then across the street. If the shot occurs at just the wrong angle, it could go through my neighbor's window. Fortunately, if I had to take that shot it would be at VERY close range (3 yards or less). But my plan is to always retreat to the master bedroom if at all possible.

Point is, don't just think "I'm in an apartment, I need to have....". Think of all possible scenarios and create your plan of what to do based on that.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    From another perspective (and I've shot a few boxes of these rounds) an underpowered shotgun is still a shotgun. If someone is leaving a coach gun behind the kitchen door for emergency use by the less-skilled folks in the house, these shells may have some use. After all, they do come in a slug load and a 7/8-ounce slug at 1250 fps is nothing to sneeze at.

Joe Biden would probably recommend them. ;)

An underpowered shotgun won't put someone out of the fight. :p

As someone whose first gun was a shotgun (22 years ago!), my go-to for HD is a rifle. Hmm...

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    So because he was on TV, we're supposed to believe that he is right?

12 Gauge Shotgun Knock yourself out.

Short of it: Bird shot is for small animals. Buckshot is for man-sized stuff.

IMO slugs are just a great way to turn your shotgun into a shitty rifle.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I use dragons breath. It might not incapacitate them immediately, but once they stop burning, you've got yourself a nice meal.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    12 Gauge Shotgun Knock yourself out.

Short of it: Bird shot is for small animals. Buckshot is for man-sized stuff.

IMO slugs are just a great way to turn your shotgun into a shitty rifle.

Thanks for the link. Only reason I didn't search for one myself is that I was on a shitty wifi in Istanbul. I'm actually posting this now from about 30,000ft over the Atlantic. LOL

duns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Houston
    I thought #4 buck might be a nice compromise but when I tried it against cardboard targets I found it spread too much for my liking, so that some pellets are almost bound to miss. I opted for 00 buck with the flite control wad so the shot stays in the cup at across the room distances. Provided I don't miss, there will be no hazard to neighbors. Neither option is perfect but I feel more comfortable with no spread and a need to aim.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I've also heard tell of setting bird-shot in a wax plug.
    They do behave pretty much like a slug, but it would only be a last resort/MacGyver situation where I'd try to use a wax slug for self defense. Cut shells fall into this category, too. Just go buy some 00 buck.

Top Bottom