Venture Surplus ad

Home defense / occasional take out for fun..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    When you get your mossberg slide, the endcap holding on the grip comes off very easily. I use a long, small flat tip to tighten mine. I lay the screwdriver shaft across the ring and in the two grooves so I can get a good grip and then just turn it until it's snug. No loctite needed-surprisingly.

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    When you get your mossberg slide, the endcap holding on the grip comes off very easily. I use a long, small flat tip to tighten mine. I lay the screwdriver shaft across the ring and in the two grooves so I can get a good grip and then just turn it until it's snug. No loctite needed-surprisingly.

Ah, alright. Do you think the heatshield is worth getting? I like the look of having one, not sure if it's needed, though.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Personally, I like my heatshield a lot. I've never burned my hand by grabbing it and it looks great. When you install it, you need to remove the front bead sight for clearance, but you can reinstall it after the heatshield is on.

adphelps23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    San Antonio
    Purchased a Remington 870 tactical for this exact purpose. Threw a blackhawk Knoxx Specops 2 on there.
    Have plenty of fun in the woods with it and sits by my bed everynight.

Greg_TX

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    Klein, TX
    Blackhawk/Knoxx is just bad. Really bad. I had one and basically gave it away. The recoil-reducing version of the Blackhawk is the worst.

I cannot say enough bad things about it.

That's what I have on my Mossberg 500 and have been very satisfied with it. The build quality seems good and the recoil reduction works well - what am I missing? :confused:

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Personally, I like my heatshield a lot. I've never burned my hand by grabbing it and it looks great. When you install it, you need to remove the front bead sight for clearance, but you can reinstall it after the heatshield is on.
    Exact reason why I want to get one. When I shoot my Maverick, I run a lot of shells through it. I want to be able to sling it, without having to worry about the barrel burning me.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Exact reason why I want to get one. When I shoot my Maverick, I run a lot of shells through it. I want to be able to sling it, without having to worry about the barrel burning me.

I did notice today my heatshield was warm to the touch after me putting a bunch of rounds through it but when i threw it on my shoulder, I was just fine.

MrZ2u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Pflugerville
    If it comes with the Knoxx stock, avoid it. The Blackhawk/Knoxx stocks are horrible. If you want an adjustable stock, I strongly recommend the Mesa setup. Mesa Tactical: Telescoping Stock and Adapter Kits : Products Blackhawk/Knoxx is just bad. Really bad. I had one and basically gave it away. The recoil-reducing version of the Blackhawk is the worst.

I cannot say enough bad things about it.
    I cant say enough good things about it myself. My guess is you had the gen 1 which had a few issues that were corrected with the gen 2 product…seen here. This performs flawlessly and it sucks up recoil like crazy. 3in mag kicks less in this than dove loads in my 1187. At its shortest its really compact but be careful to stay clear of the ramp the receiver rides or it will give you a little kiss on the cheek :)

20121022_133725_zpsc302b8ed.jpg

I was thinking of wrapping it around exhaust wrap...something like this..

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hsp-380009?seid=srese1&gclid=CMb3-9yyubcCFeNj7AodFz4AVg

Just not to sure though...
    I think this would be a bad idea...it insulates a fair bit as well so it would keep heat in and that’s probably not the best idea.

Last edited:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Yep, it was a first gen. The two issues I had were that they didn't really eliminate recoil, just spread the pulse out over a longer duration. The result was the gun actually moving further to the rear, and I had it jump out of my right hand a time or two. Muzzle rise was over the top. The other was the tube telescoping into the stock under recoil (as designed). I use a pretty aggressive stance, and like to ride up on the gun. Damn stock will punch you in the face if you put your cheek on that tube.

Shoulder the shotgun properly and recoil isn't an issue. Even 3" mag recoil isn't all that bad, really. Only shotgun recoil that's ever made me sit up and say "oh!" was 12 gauge 3 1/2".

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Shotgun Jeremy, The SHOTGUNman~
    Very nice, good job. Looks like you worked the PGO shotgun faster than the shouldered shotgun.

I felt like I had the shouldered shotgun beat by about a half a second with that PGO. Normally, I shoot 8 rounds through my gun, but that one with a stock (a friends) only held 5+1...so things ended a lot sooner than I'm used to. I was honestly surprised that I kept up with the shouldered weapon. Now I REALLY wanna get adjustable stock for my shotgun, because I can't fire anywhere near that fast with my full length standard stock the gun came with.

Top Bottom