Capitol Armory ad

Home defense / occasional take out for fun..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    A stock, like proper grammar, is important for a lot of reasons.

It's hard to aim a pistol grip shotgun with no stock. They do need to be aimed.

It is easier to properly cycle a shotgun when you have a stock against your shoulder and there is less chance of short stroking it causing a jam.

Faster, well placed follow up shots because the gun will not move around as much when cycling it.

Get a youth stock. Easier to handle indoors and still easy to operate. Pistol grips cost more because they are tacticool.

^What he said. A lot of good recommendations there.
    Hurley's Gold

Designated

Senior Unobtanium Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    Killeen
    I have a overfolder knoxx recoil reducing stock. To be honest I don't like it. It is way to long unfolded is my main gripe.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Would you prefer a pistol grip only with no stock like the mossberg jic or something like the remington 870 Blackhawk

Here's some good advice for you: If you're going to use a shotgun as a home defense weapon, you need to participate in as many Three Gun Matches' shotgun stages as you can. That's where you'll learn three things: a) You want a full length stock, either with or without a pistol grip. b) you'll learn not to short-stroke the action under pressure. c) you'll learn how to reload (quickly!). You also need to know how to operate the weapon with one hand. I know of two shoot-outs where the good guy had one arm incapacitated while using a pump-action shotgun. One was the well known 1986 shoot-out in Miami where "Agent Mireles, able to use only one arm, fired the first of five rounds from his pump-action shotgun, wounding Platt in both feet." (from Wikipedia) The other is a not-so-well known home invasion of the nephew of a friend of mine. A very pretty young lady knocked at his door late one night requesting assistance with her vehicle. Thinking with his "little head", he opened the door when he was promptly bum-rushed by two of her homies hiding around the corner. The girl produced a handgun as he was retreating to where he keeps his pump action shotgun. She started shooting at him, wounding him once. He returned fire, killing the girl. One of the male bad actors also produced a handgun and they traded shots back and forth, each wounding the other. Unfortunately, the nephew was hit in the shoulder, incapacitating his arm. Bleeding profusely from multiple GSW's, he (unwisely in my mind) chose to play dead. The wounded bad actor, angry over being hit, placed his pistol to my friend's nephew's head to administer the coup-de-grace and pulled the trigger. The weapon had either jammed or was empty. Fortunately, the bad actor realizing that LE had likely been called by someone in the neighborhood, chose to flee the crime scene leaving the dead body of the girl behind. The nephew survived. Had the bad actor's pistol not mis-fired, he would be dead today. These two cases show why you NEVER give up and you need to know how to operate your weapon with one hand.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Here's some good advice for you: If you're going to use a shotgun as a home defense weapon, you need to participate in as many Three Gun Matches' shotgun stages as you can. That's where you'll learn three things: a) You want a full length stock, either with or without a pistol grip. b) you'll learn not to short-stroke the action under pressure. c) you'll learn how to reload (quickly!). You also need to know how to operate the weapon with one hand. I know of two shoot-outs where the good guy had one arm incapacitated while using a pump-action shotgun. One was the well known 1986 shoot-out in Miami where "Agent Mireles, able to use only one arm, fired the first of five rounds from his pump-action shotgun, wounding Platt in both feet." (from Wikipedia) The other is a not-so-well known home invasion of the nephew of a friend of mine. A very pretty young lady knocked at his door late one night requesting assistance with her vehicle. Thinking with his "little head", he opened the door when he was promptly bum-rushed by two of her homies hiding around the corner. The girl produced a handgun as he was retreating to where he keeps his pump action shotgun. She started shooting at him, wounding him once. He returned fire, killing the girl. One of the male bad actors also produced a handgun and they traded shots back and forth, each wounding the other. Unfortunately, the nephew was hit in the shoulder, incapacitating his arm. Bleeding profusely from multiple GSW's, he (unwisely in my mind) chose to play dead. The wounded bad actor, angry over being hit, placed his pistol to my friend's nephew's head to administer the coup-de-grace and pulled the trigger. The weapon had either jammed or was empty. Fortunately, the bad actor realizing that LE had likely been called by someone in the neighborhood, chose to flee the crime scene leaving the dead body of the girl behind. The nephew survived. Had the bad actor's pistol not mis-fired, he would be dead today. These two cases show why you NEVER give up and you need to know how to operate your weapon with one hand.

Thanks for sharing that. Great lessons learned.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    A stock, like proper grammar, is important for a lot of reasons.

It's hard to aim a pistol grip shotgun with no stock. They do need to be aimed.

It is easier to properly cycle a shotgun when you have a stock against your shoulder and there is less chance of short stroking it causing a jam.

Faster, well placed follow up shots because the gun will not move around as much when cycling it.

Get a youth stock. Easier to handle indoors and still easy to operate. Pistol grips cost more because they are tacticool.

This.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Would the Blackhawk one be a good gun? I've read reviews and the springs in it make it easy to shoot esp if my wife could do It. I just have virtually no experience shooting at other than a range. No tactical experience a or anything. Just stand at a lane and shoot paper. Even less with a shotgun/rifle. I use mostly handguns.

If it comes with the Knoxx stock, avoid it. The Blackhawk/Knoxx stocks are horrible. If you want an adjustable stock, I strongly recommend the Mesa setup. Mesa Tactical: Telescoping Stock and Adapter Kits : Products Blackhawk/Knoxx is just bad. Really bad. I had one and basically gave it away. The recoil-reducing version of the Blackhawk is the worst.

I cannot say enough bad things about it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    A pistol grip only shotgun only has one good use. They are handy if you do not have room to store a shotgun with a stock and that is about it. They are no fun to shoot and about impossible to aim. If you must have one get a combo like Shotgun Jeremy has that way you can try it out then take it off.

That being said, I still want a Mossberg Chainsaw. They took a pistol grip shotgun and actually made a usable foreend for it. Still worthless though.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Which do you have?

I don't know what exact model it is since there's several different models of the 500, but on the box it states "this is a pistol grip shotgun....". The stock came in the box with it. I may just be the exception to the rule or maybe its because in the past year, I have put an easy 1,500 rounds of shot through it...but I'm faster at racking it without the stock, and I'm just as accurate with or without the stock. I actually prefer it without the stock because the factory stock is just too long. The only time I use the stock right now is when I'm shooting slugs at 100 yds and really need the point accuracy. I want to get sn adjustable stock with the pistol grip so I can have the best of both worlds.

I haven't shot a remington enough to compare function, but I prefer the safety location on my mossberg. The slide release is a little weird on the mossberg, but I have come in contact with a guy who makes and installs extended slide releases that you can easily access with your thumb while holding the grip normally.

I would like to get a remington eventually so I can have both versions.

If you get a pistol grip and plan on shooting it a lot-I recommend getting heavily padded shooting gloves. Most combat gloves will work perfect. Not just regular mechanix-but actual padded gloves. I had a problem last summer where I was shooting so much and so fast, that it was leaving open sores in my hands from shooting for hours at a time, and shooting as fast as I like to-the front grip was a pain to hold onto without slowing down. So I bought those gloves and haven't had a problem since. You still feel recoil pretty good with slugs and buckshot, but birdshot with those gloves is like shooting light load with no gloves lol.

Sent while rollin down rodeo with a shotgun

Last edited:

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I don't know what exact model it is since there's several different models of the 500, but on the box it states "this is a pistol grip shotgun....". The stock came in the box with it. I may just be the exception to the rule or maybe its because in the past year, I have put an easy 1,500 rounds of shot through it...but I'm faster at racking it without the stock, and I'm just as accurate with or without the stock. I actually prefer it without the stock because the factory stock is just too long. The only time I use the stock right now is when I'm shooting slugs at 100 yds and really need the point accuracy. I want to get sn adjustable stock with the pistol grip so I can have the best of both worlds.

I haven't shot a remington enough to compare function, but I prefer the safety location on my mossberg. The slide release is a little weird on the mossberg, but I have come in contact with a guy who makes and installs extended slide releases that you can easily access with your thumb while holding the grip normally.

I would like to get a remington eventually so I can have both versions.

If you get a pistol grip and plan on shooting it a lot-I recommend getting heavily padded shooting gloves. Most combat gloves will work perfect. Not just regular mechanix-but actual padded gloves. I had a problem last summer where I was shooting so much and so fast, that it was leaving open sores in my hands from shooting for hours at a time, and shooting as fast as I like to-the front grip was a pain to hold onto without slowing down. So I bought those gloves and haven't had a problem since. You still feel recoil pretty good with slugs and buckshot, but birdshot with those gloves is like shooting light load with no gloves lol.

Nice shotgun you got there.... Looking for a pistol grip shotgun, myself. What model is your's? That looks like a great setup.

Last edited:

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    It's a mossberg 500 with a heatshield, rail on top and a side saddle. The foregrip is some cheap one I picked up but now that I see how easy they are to swap, I'll probably put a better one on it this summer.

It would be my pleasure to get a video posted. Anamelia shot a few videos for me up at the range doing this. I'm gonna look for it and see if I can get it transferred to YouTube. If not, I will be getting my bolt out of the shop this week and I will go up and re-do the video the same day I get the bolt put back in my gun.

Last edited:

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    It's a mossberg 500 with a heatshield, rail on top and a side saddle. The foregrip is some cheap one I picked up but now that I see how easy they are to swap, I'll probably put a better one on it this summer.

It would be my pleasure to get a video posted. Anamelia shot a few videos for me up at the range doing this. I'm gonna look for it and see if I can get it transferred to YouTube. If not, I will be getting my bolt out of the shop this week and I will go up and re-do the video the same day I get the bolt put back in my gun.

I got a Maverick 88 that I was thinking of making into a 'riot'-type shotgun that looked like your's. Though... realize the foregrip isn't removeable. I was planning on using a foreend like this ATI Pistol Grip Forend Mossberg 500 Winchester 1300 Remington 870 12 Gauge Black . They have one at Bass that's better. But, alas, I might just save up for a Mossberg cruiser with the heatshield and all. Would probably cost me less money in the end.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    The shotgun's only a poor platform if you expect it to do things a shotgun doesn't do (like take out a whole room of badguys with one shot, etc.).
    Using 00 or 000 buck places a large amount of damage on a single target all at once. Kinda like being hit with ten .30 cal rounds all at the same time in the same area of the body. It's an effective manstopper when shouldered, aimed, and otherwise used correctly.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    I got a Maverick 88 that I was thinking of making into a 'riot'-type shotgun that looked like your's. Though... realize the foregrip isn't removeable. I was planning on using a foreend like this ATI Pistol Grip Forend Mossberg 500 Winchester 1300 Remington 870 12 Gauge Black . They have one at Bass that's better. But, alas, I might just save up for a Mossberg cruiser with the heatshield and all. Would probably cost me less money in the end.

The ATI is the one I have. I hate it. The edges around the fingers just don't feel right and its not very sturdy-as in it likes to wobble from side to side. I haven't even held a maverick. I hear they're very identical to mossberg. So can you just take a mossberg forend and use it on your maverick to allow you to change around your grips?

Last edited:

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    I got a Maverick 88 that I was thinking of making into a 'riot'-type shotgun that looked like your's. Though... realize the foregrip isn't removeable. I was planning on using a foreend like this ATI Pistol Grip Forend Mossberg 500 Winchester 1300 Remington 870 12 Gauge Black . They have one at Bass that's better. But, alas, I might just save up for a Mossberg cruiser with the heatshield and all. Would probably cost me less money in the end.[/QUOTE

Maverick 88 Tactical Forend Grip - YouTube

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    The ATI is the one I have. I hate it. The edges around the fingers just don't feel right and its not very sturdy-as in it likes to wobble from side to side. I haven't even held a maverick. I hear they're very identical to mossberg. So can you just take a mossberg forend and use it on your maverick to allow you to change around your grips?

If I remember correctly, the reason fore ends accessorys won't work with the maverick 88 is because the forened and action rails( I think is correct term) is molded together. Where the Mossberg 500 are separate parts, so to add fore end accessorys you will need to replace with 500 parts, or aftermarket parts to replace the molded one.

M1Garand

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    If I remember correctly, the reason fore ends accessorys won't work with the maverick 88 is because the forened and action rails( I think is correct term) is molded together. Where the Mossberg 500 are separate parts, so to add fore end accessorys you will need to replace with 500 parts, or aftermarket parts to replace the molded one.

Yep! SO I would have to replace the whole fore end and action rails themselves. Not sure how I would go about doing that.

dreyes89

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    Pasadena
    YouTube full disassembly of maverick 88 and the Mossberg 500, see any key difference surrounding the rails and fore end, because to release the rails you have to remove the trigger assembly, after this I forgot. Just get a good "punch" for the pins that hold the firearm in place.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Yep! SO I would have to replace the whole fore end and action rails themselves. Not sure how I would go about doing that.

Remove your trigger assembly, lift out bottom plate of bolt assembly, unscrew tube end cap, pull out barrel, remove slide action. Very easy to do. :)

The pin for the trigger assembly comes out very easy. I usually use an allen wrench to cut down on tools needed in my bag. If you have a pistol grip, you'll need to take that off to provide clearance for the trigger assembly to come out.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rgomez5329
    Top Bottom