• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Great choice! I bought a new one about 8 months ago. If you find the grip to be too small, there is a much larger one available. Pain the butt to swap them out, but the option is there.

Is that the one that's non-textured? I think i saw that on a youtube vid when i was researching.

If you don't like the lanyard loop, you can either file it off or you can pick up the same sized grip from Top Gun without the loop.

Dremel to the rescue.

The only think i dont' really care for is the rounded part of the hammer. It makes it difficult to get a good hold with my thumb before it slips off. I may get that with the dremel too until it's closer to the P220 or 226
    Target Sports

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I theory its to keep calvery soldiers from loosing thier pistols but in my opinion worthless for the civilian shooter.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    Is that the one that's non-textured? I think i saw that on a youtube vid when i was researching.

Dremel to the rescue.

The only think i dont' really care for is the rounded part of the hammer. It makes it difficult to get a good hold with my thumb before it slips off. I may get that with the dremel too until it's closer to the P220 or 226

The larger grip has a rubberized surface to it. It's fat. I thought I'd want one and truth be told it was really too big... and I have fairly large hands.

On the rounded hammer thing, the good news is that they gave you a decocking lever on the side so really you shouldn't need to have your thumb on it. I guess if you want to go single action, you're thumbing the hammer back? Not sure.

On the lanyard thing, it's helpful when shark fishing. :)

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    On the rounded hammer thing, the good news is that they gave you a decocking lever on the side so really you shouldn't need to have your thumb on it. I guess if you want to go single action, you're thumbing the hammer back? Not sure.

Yes, I want to be able to comfortable operate the hammer in single action. Double action is smooth, but I prefer to have the single option just as easy

Pappy

Resident Septuagenarian
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 29, 2008
    Texas
    Too late, but I would recommend a 12 gauge pump shotgun. Loaded with about #6 shot, it will totally mess up an intruder and not penetrate walls....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Why do guns have a lanyard loop?

So you can be an elite tactical operator and use a "tactical retention lanyard" just like all the special forces operators! ;) lol j/k

You get more points though when wearing one in conjunction with a balaclava:

BlackHawk-90TPL1BK-rw-8158-32058.jpg

OIF2

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hill Country
    I still like a K-frame .38 revolver. M10-8 3", modified to DAO and action tuned by the LAPD Armory. No safeties, adjustable sights or single action. Simple and utterly reliable. A superb defense gun.
    Bob
    DSC_0046.gif

wrtanker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2009
    Ft. Worth
    The US Army still issues lanyards for the M9 and some commands even require their Soldiers to use them! Personally, I never had any trouble keeping ahold of my handgun so I dispensed with the lanyard. However, I did swap out the mainspring housing on my MkIV Series 70 to a GI one so I'd have the loop (among other reasons). I just liked the look of it!

streakpi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I theory its to keep calvery soldiers from loosing thier pistols but in my opinion worthless for the civilian shooter.

+1. Shooting a six-shooter from a mount while charging "Injuns" wasn't easy...lots of dropped guns. The Army got their suppliers to add lanyard rings and voila - most weapons who do any kind of business with the military add a lanyard ring. I had my Beretta 92f always connected while in Iraq - damn glad I did cause it dropped from my holster a couple times as I ran to the "sounds of the guns" (we carry long guns too...) Haven't heard of a Soldier having the "choice" of not connecting his lanyard to his sidearm while deployed...yet we completely did away with the idea of a single holster...hahaha.

CZLover

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    Austin
    I have a CZ P-06 (.40 S&W), but a P-01 would fit your criteria. They are really nice all metal guns that are completely reliable, and beautiful to boot. They are fairly small, without leaving you with less grip and come with night sights (tritium).

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    +1. Shooting a six-shooter from a mount while charging "Injuns" wasn't easy...lots of dropped guns. The Army got their suppliers to add lanyard rings and voila - most weapons who do any kind of business with the military add a lanyard ring. I had my Beretta 92f always connected while in Iraq - damn glad I did cause it dropped from my holster a couple times as I ran to the "sounds of the guns" (we carry long guns too...) Haven't heard of a Soldier having the "choice" of not connecting his lanyard to his sidearm while deployed...yet we completely did away with the idea of a single holster...hahaha.

That makes sense, I just had this idot idea of a guy who has a handgun on a lanyard around his neck. . . .

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    for home defense in automatic, i like the saiga 12 ga.
    not a pistol, but sure is effective!

diverjml

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2009
    New Braunfels
    The springfield XD is a great pistol for a great price. Available in most common calibers, 9, 45, etc...
    Can buy new from Academy for less than 600. Very easy to load, shoot, field strip. Life time warranty, and accessory rail for laser/flashlight.
    I like my HK better, but for brut force, price, and durability, go XD.

Top Bottom