• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    I'm looking for a home defense Automatic with the following criteria:

a) 9mm or .45 caliber (Only considering 9mm because there's another 9mm in the house and it would save time having the same ammo for both)

b) Price range: >$700

c) Prefer a slim grip (single stack if .45)

d) Small enough to be concealed (if nessicary, but will probably remain in the house most of the time)

e) Don't care for the 1911 style....just doesn't feel comfortable to me.

suggestions?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Smith&Wesson M&P in either 9mm or 45. Great gun, not too expensive, available in a compact model too, optionally available with or without thumb safety. Many of the same advantages of the Glock already mentioned, but some people prefer the grips on the m&p.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Glock 19
    - Cheap
    - Utterly Reliable
    - Big Capacity (up to 33rds in factory mags)
    - Easy to Use

+1. G19 is my nightstand gun. 147 Grain HST's with a TRL-1 light.

Since its just for HD, a G17 would be good too. But if you are one of those Glock haters or don't like the grip angle on Glocks, then look to a XD or an M&P. And if you don't care for striker fired guns, a CZ would fit your budget, and are pretty good guns as well, although I'm not fond of their triggers.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    I'd check out the selection of CPO Sig P226 that Mark has at Summit Gun Brokers. These certified pre-owned Sigs are great deals. Most of them are 4 years or older and that normally means all German construction. (slightly more desirable these days to many).

Sig has taken them in on trades or whatever. They basically rebuild them, changing out worn parts and springs. And, Sig puts their standard 1 year warranty on them.

Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri.

He's got 9mm and 40's in stock as of last week. $545. Only drawback is they only come with one mag these days. Great deal on one of the best 9mm's ever produced. Just a classic.

I've bought twice from Mark, both my CPO's. He's as easy to deal with as anyone in this business.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    I did decide to add hogue rubber grips and night sights to mine, so that did raise my investment to around 625 a piece.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    If I could find a SIG 220 or 226 in that price range it would be perfect. The triggers on the Springfields and Glocks feel strange. I prefer a single piece trigger. I've also been giving thought to Beretta 92/96 styles.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If I could find a SIG 220 or 226 in that price range it would be perfect. The triggers on the Springfields and Glocks feel strange. I prefer a single piece trigger. I've also been giving thought to Beretta 92/96 styles.

Travis, Sig_Fiend, on the forum is trying to sell his P220. It's in good shape.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

At first I was going to say Glock 19, till I saw that you wanted thinner handles.

Then you mention a beretta 92. . . . . . .

I've got a Beretta 92, and i love it. It was my first pistol, but I shoot my glock 19 most of the time. I think I'd like it a lot more if I could lighten up on the trigger a bit. It is also a bunch harder to conceal. . . .it is a big, heavy gun, especially considering it is a 9mm. I got mine, with night sights and 3 15 round mags for 550 two years ago, so it is definately in your price range.

Good luck.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    At first I was going to say Glock 19, till I saw that you wanted thinner handles.

Then you mention a beretta 92. . . . . . .

Thinner handle applies to .45 guns. A single stack 9mm doesn't really make me feel comfortable as a home defense gun.

Okierifleman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    Just my 2 cents, I have a Beretta 96 in one nightstand and a STI GP6 in the other with a Streamlight TL-2 light/laser combo. If you like the way the Beretta feels by all means go with it. But if you havent tried the GP6 out, I would. Everyone I know that has shot one has bought one....

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    There is a guy selling NIB Sig P245's. Those are single stack .45 and have very thin grips. If you're interested, I'll try and dig up the link. I think they were in the $550 range. Same guy also selling P239's for about $600.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    There is a guy selling NIB Sig P245's. Those are single stack .45 and have very thin grips. If you're interested, I'll try and dig up the link. I think they were in the $550 range. Same guy also selling P239's for about $600.

Please do. I really like the feel of the sig. If he has 9mm too i'm interested in those as well.

radioflyer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Picked up a Sig Pro 2022 in 9mm. Very comfortable and has the same textured surface grip on the H&K P30 I really wanted (but couldn't afford and have $$ left for ammo...lol)

Looking for a concealment IWB holster for it. I plan to take it to Shiloh's tactical class next tuesday to try it out.

Thank you guys for all the advice.

Pic:
    IMG_0486.jpg

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    Great choice! I bought a new one about 8 months ago. If you find the grip to be too small, there is a much larger one available. Pain the butt to swap them out, but the option is there.

Plus it came with night sights and two mags. Not a bad deal considering that's a 50 dollar upgrade with Glocks and most new Sigs these days only come with one mag. (bahsteds)

The DA trigger wasn't bad, but the SA trigger on this gun is butter, I"m betting.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    On the holster, I can't overly recommend the CompTac MTAC. That and a good quality gun belt and you're golden.

Scott_F

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    CSTX
    If you don't like the lanyard loop, you can either file it off or you can pick up the same sized grip from Top Gun without the loop.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tray81
    Top Bottom