• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    Between those I would say the Benelli. I plan on buying a Mossy 500 for my HD shotgun, because I can afford it and there are a lot of good accessories that I can get for it.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I had a Benelli M4, and it was a great gun. It was a little heavy, as they are overbuilt (a good thing), and they all get heavy when you add a mag tube extension, extra shells and a light. I just decided a pump was the way to go for me. Also, you could get 3 870s/500s/Novas for the same money. The Nova tactical is almost the same gun in pump form, plus shoots 3 1/2" shells, and is 1/3 the cost.

I did see a torture test where they loaded a 20 gauge shell in the barrel of an M4 and then fired a 12 gauge shell through it. It didn't even phase the gun. I was impressed. They were testing the 20/12 combo or whatever you call it, but they chose the wrong gun for the barrel bursting effect that that normally would produce. I don't know how an 870 or any other gun would handle it. I guess that it is a big problem for 20/12 gauge combo o/u guns.

deputy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    TX
    870.....by default........i know and trust the weapon the same as mossberg and ithaca

in my ignorance, i have no experience with the benelli.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    DSC06264..gif You mean one of these?? Benelli, ONLY THE BEST FOR PROTECTING YOUR FAMILY!!

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    lol skeetz.
    what a show off.

two more days till i get my check and go pickup a new 870.
    excited....

complete with boring wood stock.
    ;)

2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    Heading down to Cabela's tomorrow to pick up some supplies for a hog hunting trip next week, but also thought I might finally pick up a HD shotgun. I'm likely to go the 20 guage route so wife can use easily (or at least a bit easier than a 12). Filled with buckshot I'm pretty sure it would still do the trick.

Any suggestions given the above? I want a pump action. I don't want to spend much more than $750 if possible, but still want it to be an @$$-kicking shotgun to the best I can w/in these limits.

2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    OK... so now I reading a bit more the the preferred HD shotguns and am thinking maybe I could go the 12 G route if I did a little accessorizing to reduce perceived recoil. So... I'm going tomorrow, anyone want to school me on exactly what I need to "customize" in order to reduce the perceived recoil. The more specific the better since I'll probably print out your comments and bring to that wonderful land of Cabelas and say: "Here... do this." Even though I'm a pretty big dude and don't have much problem with recoil, I'd still like to make it very comfortable so it's easier for that 2nd shot, and hopefully make it something my wife could handle.

Thoughts?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I don't like the controls on the 870, personally. I don't like how you have to take your hands out of position to reach the pump release. ( think the Winchester 1300 has better controls). I haven't handled the Beneli.

As to the 12 vs 20, the only real draw back is that you aren't going to have as much variety of shells to choose from. Basically slugs and #3 buckshot is really the only thing avalible. I don't think thats much of a problem. I don't mind the recoil of the 12, but it there is a difference. My wife can handle the 12, she just doesn't like it.

Buckles

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Cypress, TX
    I don't like the controls on the 870, personally. I don't like how you have to take your hands out of position to reach the pump release. ( think the Winchester 1300 has better controls). I haven't handled the Beneli.

As to the 12 vs 20, the only real draw back is that you aren't going to have as much variety of shells to choose from. Basically slugs and #3 buckshot is really the only thing avalible. I don't think thats much of a problem. I don't mind the recoil of the 12, but it there is a difference. My wife can handle the 12, she just doesn't like it.

shouldnt you have already pumped it before putting your hand into position to fire? the only way i see it being a problem is if you are gonna wait till the last second to pump it.

jgedmond

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Spring
    shouldnt you have already pumped it before putting your hand into position to fire? the only way i see it being a problem is if you are gonna wait till the last second to pump it.

Who knows what the situation will be when you need to use the HD shotgun? Maybe you will be awakened from a deep sleep and have little time to chamber a round and fire. I would frame the question as why put controls in an out of the way place and make the shooter move their hands around for no reason? The slide relaese and safety on the Mossbergs are exactly where your middle finger and thumb are when your hand is in the shooting position. Also, the safety is right in front of your nose and visually obvious as to what position it is in. These features made the Mossberg the hands down choice for me.

texas skeeter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Somewhere here nor there....
    lol skeetz.
    what a show off.

two more days till i get my check and go pickup a new 870.
    excited....

complete with boring wood stock.
    ;)
    Hey Wolfy, there's nothing boring about a great 870 w/ wood!! and congrats and blow some sh-t up for me!! and if yer ever up my way, hit me up and ill take you out to shoot some of my other fun toys!! SERIOUSLY, anytime!!

swsmailman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    East Texas
    OK... so now I reading a bit more the the preferred HD shotguns and am thinking maybe I could go the 12 G route if I did a little accessorizing to reduce perceived recoil. So... I'm going tomorrow, anyone want to school me on exactly what I need to "customize" in order to reduce the perceived recoil. The more specific the better since I'll probably print out your comments and bring to that wonderful land of Cabelas and say: "Here... do this." Even though I'm a pretty big dude and don't have much problem with recoil, I'd still like to make it very comfortable so it's easier for that 2nd shot, and hopefully make it something my wife could handle.

Thoughts?

The easiest thing you can do is once you get the shotgun you want is take her out to some land and let her shoot it and get use to the recoil and how it handles, If it is too much for her consider getting a Knoxx Recoil Reducing Stock from Blackhawk.com which helps to reduce the recoil.

2ndAmendmentGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Austin, TX
    So... although my credit card might be burning thru my wallet now, I just got back from that big-boy wonderland of Cabela's. ended up leaving with a Remington 870 Home Defense Combo (and several $$$ more worth of "stuff" in preparation for a hog hunting trip next weekend). And no... I'm not using the shotgun on the hogs. Anyway, I got a decent assortment of ammo to try out and can't wait to hang out at the ranch and shoot some $#!+.

Question: for ear protection, I've already got over-the-ear electronic "headphones?" (kind that lets you hear conversation, but then cuts out when decible is > whatever). Is there in-ear protection that will work ok? The over-the-ear is good for my handgun, but I'm not digging it with the rifle (and probably same with shotgun). I thought I remembered seeing somewhere that you needed over-the-ear because the sound actually articulated thru some of the bone/membrane right near the jawline in front of the ear and an in-ear would not protect from that. However, I also see plenty of people using them.

Thoughts?

I must say I'm glad Cabela's is as far away from Austin as it is. If it were a bit more convenient, it would be VERY dangerous to my wallet!

JMATT199

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Magnolia,tx

I don't know about you,but my 870 is HOT and ready to GO! safety is on ofcourse......

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas

I'm not disagreeing with you. We had a decent sized thread a little while ago on the subject, and there were people in both camps. I'm not going to tell which is "right." I just don't like the controls on the 870's. If I had the money, I'd get a semi shotgun and a bunch of ammo to make sure it worked. . . . .or I'd stick with the carbine and pistol that I already own.

PS- congrats on the gun. The 870 is a great gun overall.

I heard that some people have the foam inserts inside their electronic ones and turn the volume all the way up.

Top Bottom