DK Firearms

HD short barrel semi-auto 20 ga - is there such a thing ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Tell your wife the noise from racking a pump usually makes an intruder
    head for the hills. It's true

That's terrible advise.

Since when is saying "I'm right here" a good tactical move?

It also means you have one less round of ammunition in a weapon that already suffers from limited capacity compared to other HD weapons.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I equipped one of my Remington 1100's (12 gauge) with a 20" rifled slug barrel. A cylinder bore 18" barrel would work great for her and the gas operated action of the 1100 cancels 55% of felt recoil! Scale down to 20 gauge if you wish and ............there you go! An 1100 will shoot FAST!

A real plus is the record of 1100 Remington shotguns. This shotgun holds the record for rounds fired without malfunction, oil or any maintenance.............24,000 rounds! The 1100 still holds the record even though many manufacturers have attempted to break or even equal it! I posted this before but this record is little known and totally amazing! There's just nothing else like the Remington 1100! I've read that the Remington 1100 is finicky and maintenance sensitive..............what do you think?

It's not really necessary to go with 20 gauge in an 1100 Remington. I had one of mine (12 gauge) out yesterday shooting trap and can't even feel a sore place on my shoulder!

Flash

Last edited:

CharlesW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    East of Waco Navarro, County
    Younggun That is my opinion that I formed from many law enforcement agents.
    True you are saying I'm right here but also saying I have a shotgun and will
    blow your head off if you don't leave.
    Are we talking about home invasion or all out war?
    All out war may be a different story.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    That's terrible advise.

Since when is saying "I'm right here" a good tactical move?

It also means you have one less round of ammunition in a weapon that already suffers from limited capacity compared to other HD weapons.

Well you gotta chamber another round after you send that #4 center mass, and that blast already gave away the position.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Younggun That is my opinion that I formed from many law enforcement agents.
    True you are saying I'm right here but also saying I have a shotgun and will
    blow your head off if you don't leave.
    Are we talking about home invasion or all out war?
    All out war may be a different story.

I'm speaking of home invasion.

While we could go back and forth all day about the merits of our opinions I'm gonna bow out and try to avoid hi jacking the thread. ;)

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Oh I heard this great advise was to also take your shotgun and just go out on your porch and just fire it in the air and the bad people just leave.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I don't necessarily buy into the theory that the "slide racking" will cause a criminal to leave. Some of us "non-criminals" may think so but keep in mind that the criminal element doesn't think the same way we do. If that saying was absolutely true, it seems one should just have a high volume tape of a racking slide set to go off like an alarm. I don't think I'd rely on that.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My Cowboy friend Ron in Tulsa lived way out in the boonies. He heard a truckload of young folks who were stopping at rural mailboxes, smashing them and whooping & hollering as they came down the road to the next mailbox. When they pulled up to his mailbox, Ron cut loose with one round from his shotgun. The little bastards were screaming for their mommas as they scrambled into the truck to get away!

Sometimes, owning a gun is just plain fun!

Flash

CharlesW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    The Vice President said that this week. He also said a double barrel shotgun is best for HD.
    If you go out on the porch and fire both barrels you are defenseless unless you pull a
    Davy Crockett and swing it like a bat.

CharlesW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Younggun don't get mad. Thats just the way I was taught. I the middle of the night
    an invader probably already knows you are in your bedroom so your position has
    already been given away. But to hear a pump racked in a quiet house is unnerving.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've been called a "No shit kind of guy". I don't bluff....ever and if someone sees me approaching looking like I'm F ing fed up, talking time is over. When I remove my eyeglasses, the shit is gonna start.

I'm not a fan of any kind of defensive, or aggressive moves and slide racking as a tactic is absolutely off the agenda for me. I will keep my hands away from a gun unless there is no other way out. If I MUST deploy the gun, it's going to be used! A gun is not a bluff. It is a last ditch, final option. For a non LEO citizen, if the situation is NOT bad enough to use a gun, then keep your hands off of it!

Flash

Last edited:

CharlesW

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Roger note taken. I get it loud and clear. Guarantees you wont hurt a family member.
    If someone is outside they are no threat to me but in my house I'll be a threat to them.
    I am a disbled senior citizen and no match for a young punk or dope head so my shotgun
    will be grasp tightly in my hands.
    By the way I'm 17 miles from the nearest city so I'm on my own.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Hey Charles,

I'm old, too and 10 miles from the nearest big town. Our county Deputies are great here but it's a while before they can get to a problem. We are totally on our own. That sounds bad but all of my neighbors know each other and every one of them is armed. We don't have crime in our neighborhood!

Flash

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Younggun don't get mad. Thats just the way I was taught. I the middle of the night
    an invader probably already knows you are in your bedroom so your position has
    already been given away. But to hear a pump racked in a quiet house is unnerving.

I'm not sure where you got the impression that I am mad. I was trying to avoid turning the thread in to what it has become.

The OP was asking for advice on which shotgun to buy, not how to use it. For that reason I chose not to debate the concept and why I am still not going to give anymore of my opinion on that topic. At least not until I'm sure the OP has gotten the answer he seeks.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am with Younggun on this one. Not only do you let the intruder know where you are, but that you are armed and just escalated the situation to life and death for all parties.

I think many people get caught up in making the threat (racking the slide) and think it's cool. However from a tactical standpoint you have given away a lot of your advantage by doing so. There is no requirement to try to scare off an criminal involved in a crime against you or yours in Texas. If I am ever in that situation, they will probably see and hear me when I have them covered, or a flash and a bang they will never hear if I feel I can't win the fight without violence. No need to give them a heads up as to how the game is about to be played.

Top Bottom