Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm not a hunter so my opinion doesn't count. That never stopped me from having one, though.

I was under the impression that all feral hogs killed are eaten. I figure carcasses should be dragged out of sight and smelling range of humans. After that, though, carrion birds are a valuable part of our ecology and giving them a meal counts, to my mind, as an honorable way to dispose of deactivated varmints.

OTOH, given my druthers I'd rather kill animals that I'll eat rather than feed directly back into the ecosystem. I like to eat; ask anybody who's met me. :)

I've actually been thinking about these issues lately since I stumbled into a good buy on a very nice hunting rifle and I'm slowly developing an itch to use it in the field instead of just off a bench.
    Gun Zone Deals

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I'm not a hunter so my opinion doesn't count. That never stopped me from having one, though.

I was under the impression that all feral hogs killed are eaten. I figure carcasses should be dragged out of sight and smelling range of humans. After that, though, carrion birds are a valuable part of our ecology and giving them a meal counts, to my mind, as an honorable way to dispose of deactivated varmints.

OTOH, given my druthers I'd rather kill animals that I'll eat rather than feed directly back into the ecosystem. I like to eat; ask anybody who's met me. :)

I've actually been thinking about these issues lately since I stumbled into a good buy on a very nice hunting rifle and I'm slowly developing an itch to use it in the field instead of just off a bench.
    Depending on the ecosystem it might not take long at all to dispose of the carcass. I shot one that was well over 200 and likely over 250 it took 4 days to be reduced to bones and hide.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Some things just need killin'.
    Sustenance is one thing. Protection of life and property is another.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos

Made me LOL. Pigs are incredibly destructive and reproductive. We shoot all we see down in South TX. Little ones get eaten by us, big ones feed the buzzards.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Apart from one that I shot through the back legs, every hog that the wife and I have shot have died from single shots. I am a firm believer in bringing enough gun to the fight, and if you're using .223, maybe that's the reason why it takes more than 1 shot to drop one. Upgrade to an adult caliber like .308 Win.

Boars are going to be gamey and tough, but the sows don't get to fighting like the males do, so they're better eating. Boar meat can be dealt with with a little more cook time or preparation.

Personally, I'm not going to shoot an animal just for the hell of it, I was brought up that you eat what you kill regardless of whether you consider the target to be vermin or not. If you don't want to eat it, don't shoot it. I'm also all for dispatching my quarry quickly and humanely, even for "vermin" which is why I don't use smaller calibers like .223.
    I tend to agree, with the exception of vermin. Pigs are vermin. Kill every one you see, and leave the carcasses for coyotes and vultures.
    Treat them the same way you treat rats.

Fullretard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    DFW
    Well how did the hunt go?
    I would kill to go on a pig hunt but work is killing me.
    I am trying to put together a trip in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    I was brought up that you eat what you kill regardless of whether you consider the target to be vermin or not. If you don't want to eat it, don't shoot it.

Spoken like someone who has never had to protect their land, crops, or livestock from vermin/predators.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    When they're coming in by the dozens and you've got cattle and turkeys to protect, you dispatch them with any means necessary. If it means the coyotes, cougars, buzzards and catfish have a meal, so be it. I'm not going to fill my freezer with rat meat when I've got organic turkey and grass-fed beef. It would be a full-time job just skinning lice-infested pigs and I'd have no place to store it. If you like lice & worms in your meat, have at it.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    When they're coming in by the dozens and you've got cattle and turkeys to protect, you dispatch them with any means necessary. If it means the coyotes, cougars, buzzards and catfish have a meal, so be it. I'm not going to fill my freezer with rat meat when I've got organic turkey and grass-fed beef. It would be a full-time job just skinning lice-infested pigs and I'd have no place to store it. If you like lice & worms in your meat, have at it.
    Turkey's they might hurt but with cattle pigs aren't really a threat. I have yet to see pigs do anything with cattle and thats out of several thousand head. They will eat some of their natural grazing or wheat but not much.

hellishhorses

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Eddy
    Turkey's they might hurt but with cattle pigs aren't really a threat. I have yet to see pigs do anything with cattle and thats out of several thousand head. They will eat some of their natural grazing or wheat but not much.
    While not a direct predator, they will consume turkey eggs, cattle feed, destroy habitat and natural watering sources.

ETA: certain common bacteria found in pig feces & urine can be harmful to cattle. Rabies & ringworm are also a concern.

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish

Pigs are not a direct physical threat.

While rooting for grubs, an even small group of pigs can destroy a coastal hay field. It looks like the place has been plowed under.
    During the drought, ranchers were lucky to get two cuttings off of a hay field where in normal years they could count on four cuttings, depending upon which part of the state you lived.
    So every bale of hay counts for winter feeding domestic animals.

In this case, a pig is not a pig. Ferral hogs may look like regular pigs, but they aren't.
    Like packs of wild dogs, they become aggressive, carry diseases and breed like rabbits having a dozen piglets a couple times a year.

Top Bottom