• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Found a place out towards Sequin to go pig hunting. My buddy and I are going to go next month (soonest we could coordinate work schedules). Looking forward to taking some bacon home!

Going to bring an AR and an 308 bolt gun, we are going to do night and morning hunts so I figured I would try a different rifle for each one. My buddy is planning to use his Mosin 91/30 for one of the hunts, it should be interesting.

I am hoping this works out well for us so that we can access this land going forward for pigs and maybe deer. The owner feeds deer but is being over-run by pigs right now so we can take as many as we want (just have to harvest the animals we shoot) which is fine with me as I hunt no other way. Will explore further with him to get regular access!
    Hurley's Gold

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Yep. Leave the mosin as well. Unless its sporterized with a good scope. Unless hunting during daylight you need a quality optic that will work well in low light. Even with a feeder light you cannot see irons on a mosin.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Are you saying that you will not kill a hog if you don't plan to eat it?

Not sure, just hard to override what was ingrained in my brain since I could walk, don't kill what you don't plan to eat. My AR is well setup, and I plan to use that at night, the bolt gun would be more for the 2nd morning. I will have the AR with me no matter what. I am trying to get my buddy to not use the Mosin for a variety of reasons.

I am thinking the farmer is going to want us to take every single pig we can successfully take, if that is his need and desire then I will cross that bridge with him.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Not sure, just hard to override what was ingrained in my brain since I could walk, don't kill what you don't plan to eat.

If you kill a rat, do you eat it?

I'm being a little facetious here. :) The point is that feral hogs are nothing more than vermin, not game animals. Not all of the ethics of hunting game apply. Especially with old hogs....nasty as hell....I'd rather skin, cook, and eat a rat. LOL

if you want to eat your kill, stick to shooting only the younger ones.

Das Jared

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Friendswood
    If you kill a rat, do you eat it?

I'm being a little facetious here. :) The point is that feral hogs are nothing more than vermin, not game animals. Not all of the ethics of hunting game apply. Especially with old hogs....nasty as hell....I'd rather skin, cook, and eat a rat. LOL

X2

sent from Jennifer Lawrence's bedroom

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Its been my experience that anything over 100lbs isn't worth the effort to harvest.
    I've also notice that warm weather pigs taste gamier than cooler weather pigs.

And load up the mag with more than 3 or 4 rounds.

A buddy and I were standing ankle deep in 308 brass once from all the follow-up shots.
    They kept making circles.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    As far as capacities and such -for the GSR I have several 10 round mags and for the AR I will be fine. :)

I am just trying to figure out the best optics configuration. For the GSR I will be leaving my scope on it, but for the AR, I am still trying to figure it out.

Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    3 of the 4 hogs Hubby and I shot were over 100 pounds and we had them all processed and shipped home. They've been good eatin' :) I got both my hogs with 1 shot each, no follow up shots needed. I used 7mm-08 Remington 700 bolt action rifle and Hornady SST bullets reloaded in Hornady casings. I think I used 143 gr. per round.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Kaos

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2014
    Plano
    heading towards Mexia this wkend to shoot a few hogs... Time to up the anty alittle bit by introducing sum Thermal Vision to the night hunts...

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS

Good to know about the 100 pound thing. Thanks.

no expert here, but what I have found is this only applies to the Boars, I have shot some perty big Sows in the 150-200 lbs range and they are mighty fine eating. The Boars on the other hand......not so much, I agree with the 100lb cut off on the Boars, if it's a Sow getcha a big fat girl:green:. The best eatin ones are them little watermelons (still got the stripes on em)......good luck on yer hunt...............pictures will be required or it didn't happen:green:

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    My buddy and are I hoping we can get some tiny ones! We both want to eat them.

I will definitely do a AAR when it is all said and done.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Apart from one that I shot through the back legs, every hog that the wife and I have shot have died from single shots. I am a firm believer in bringing enough gun to the fight, and if you're using .223, maybe that's the reason why it takes more than 1 shot to drop one. Upgrade to an adult caliber like .308 Win.

Boars are going to be gamey and tough, but the sows don't get to fighting like the males do, so they're better eating. Boar meat can be dealt with with a little more cook time or preparation.

Personally, I'm not going to shoot an animal just for the hell of it, I was brought up that you eat what you kill regardless of whether you consider the target to be vermin or not. If you don't want to eat it, don't shoot it. I'm also all for dispatching my quarry quickly and humanely, even for "vermin" which is why I don't use smaller calibers like .223.

Watchdog

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio
    Well if all goes as planned my buddy will be running my AR in 223/556 and I will be running my 300AAC SBR upper that will be finished this coming week. :)

Just need to get everything sighted in. I figure my buddy can use his Mosin if he wants on the morning hunt and I will run my 308 for the morning as well (unless I have had too much fun with the 300AAC and want to keep using it).

If my 2nd job work pans out for July, I will order a can, thinking the 308 Saker, sadly given time lines if I send off paperwork in July, I should get the can out of jail Jan-May of 2015 depending on how I can get the forms submitted. :/

Top Bottom