• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Trying the Burger at Varsity Tavern down the street from Freds. No one is here but looks good.
    bae3bd4329c128c68e753177038a0762.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

Attachments

• bae3bd4329c128c68e753177038a0762.jpg
      bae3bd4329c128c68e753177038a0762.jpg
      96.6 KB · Views: 307

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    A small chain called Walkons has some pretty decent burgers. {Just NEVER eat their "cajun" food. EVER.}

Best Cajun food is homemade in SE Louisiana, preferably by someone with a Cajun accent, and with a recipe from their Mama.

Most everything else is as fake as McDonald's pink slime chicken nuggets ... especially if what they call chicken/sausage "gumbo" has tomatoes in it, and no okra.

ETA: some folks raised in the Golden Triangle do a pretty damn good job, considering the geographic challenge ...

Last edited:

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    I am from south Louisiana originally. One of my favorite experiences at a seafood restaurant was when visiting was when I asked about ordering some peel and eat shrimp. The response was, "oh I am not sure if he caught any shrimp today". Now that is fresh!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Used to dock on the Berwick side of Morgan City, with shrimp boats tied up on the outside of our seismograph boat.

Helped them unload across our deck to the dock; payment was of a box of fresh, caught that night, shrimp.

Mais, talk about fresh, cher!

Headed to the local park with about 100lbs and some wash tubs and plenty of newspapers and have a shrimp boil, with anyone within smelling distance welcome.

On topic of burgers ... a shrimp po boy trumps a hamburger in a game of bouree any day. :evil:

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    Off topic, yes. Overstuffed shrimp poboy dressed sounds great right now.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    At RGs waiting on Deemus.

That was a darn tasty burger. Cheeseburger and fries, $10 including tax.

Enjoyed the visit too. And, I got to meet Mocha.

For the directionally challenged, here's a link to the location.

R G Burgers & Grill
    2430 S Interstate 35 # 172, Denton, TX 76205
    (940) 383-2431
    https://goo.gl/maps/zYXJXzpDHu52

Last edited:

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    For all of you non-chain burger eaters, please post what your custom burgers cost.

That's not criticism.

I'm interested in what others are willing to pay vs what I pay for a double meat/cheese burger at Whataburger (they're big) which rounding up cost about $8.00... if memory serves correctly, I think....

In addition to liking their burgers, I really like their drive thru feature...pretty darn quick and efficient even when the line is relatively long.

I prefer to either eat one in my truck in the parking lot too or take home and eat it there. As I've gotten further into geezerhood, I don't care to eat with strangers...anti-social, ah yeah, a little....plus, I'm not a fan where little kids are often free range p.i.a.'s....as parents want strangers to tolerate their little, obnoxious darlings....

I don't like sitting in fast food places to eat as they're waaaaaaaaaay too noisy......yep, grumpy old bastardo I am....

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    For all of you non-chain burger eaters, please post what your custom burgers cost.

I'm interested in what others are willing to pay vs what I pay for a double meat/cheese burger at Whataburger (they're big) which rounding up cost about $8.00... if memory serves correctly, I think....

#2 (two patties) with cheese, two pieces of bacon, pop and regular fries around $9+. No, I don't have a burger addiction.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

That's not criticism.

In addition to liking their burgers, I really like their drive thru feature...pretty darn quick and efficient even when the line is relatively long.

I prefer to either eat one in my truck in the parking lot too or take home and eat it there. As I've gotten further into geezerhood, I don't care to eat with strangers...anti-social, ah yeah, a little....plus, I'm not a fan where little kids are often free range p.i.a.'s....as parents want strangers to tolerate their little, obnoxious darlings....

I don't like sitting in fast food places to eat as they're waaaaaaaaaay too noisy......yep, grumpy old bastardo I am....

Ever read about most touch screens in chains joint high concentrations of fecal matter?

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land

That's not criticism.

RG's today.
    Their basic cheeseburger, fries.
    $10 and change. I left a tip, if you want to call it 12.50.
    In comparison, I get a double meat Whataburger with cheese and medium fries every week. That's $9 plus change at the drive through. I eat every bite of it.

The RG cheeseburger, I had about 1/6 lb of meat left.
    What Deemus had left I added to mine in a box for the dog.
    Probably close to 1/2 lb of meat. And it is good.
    Me and my wife could share an RG and still have food on the plate when we got full.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    The thing that I hate about the big chain restaurants their products are engineered in a food lab. It's a lot easier to manage improper food handling & poor sanitation if your french fries can stay under the seat of a vehicle for months & still not mold or dry out.

When that whole pink slime hit the news years back I had to listen to that shit daily as a retail meat cutter. Fact is the chain who is owned by the corporation that makes the slime are the ones using it. For shits & grins watch a few of the year old + McDonald's burger videos.

JCC

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2018
    US
    #2 (two patties) with cheese, two pieces of bacon, pop and regular fries around $9+. No, I don't have a burger addiction.
    You said "pop". I agree with your pricing. My favorite place is almost $11 after tax if I upgrade to onion rings. One patty, but it is a good sized patty. They used to have thinner cut onion rings or at least with not as much batter. Good with ranch dressing. Adding jalepenos is free or ar least included, if I recall.

http://scottyps.com

I have not been in much too long.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Thanks everyone for your input to my burger cost/interest.

The 'omg, the vast amount of germs' crowd of food fear, please...if we all knew what 'awfuls' are out there with restaurant eating, we'd probably never eat another burger or what have you... ("ever watched any of Gordon Ramsey's restaurant/hideously unsanitary kitchen discoveries"? He presents a serious argument for never, ever again, eating in a restaurant....unless you get to do an inspection of the kitchen prior to eating, which isn't going to happen.

......but, most of the time our ability to fight off 'germs/bacteria' is pretty strong and we 'don't' end up sick. Yeah, if your health is compromised you're likely to get sick...what to do. Don't eat out.....

P.S. As a kid of 14, for less than minimum wage, I worked in a kitchen prepping hamburger (so-called) 'steaks' with Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, black pepper and this and that like I knew what I was doing. I didn't. No one made certain I had a health certificate or even washed my hands prior to handling the meat...great huh...? I doubt it's any different today...

Eat out. Take your chances. It's always a crap shoot, but your probably going to be ok...probably.

PS, I don't eat out much anymore. Not because of food born illness worry, just not interested. Oddly, it used to be part of my job to eat in in very fancy places. I doubt like hell that they were any more particular about their food/health practices overall....I just didn't worry about it and no, never got sick. Lucky me.

Top Bottom