• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Which method is the easiest, less painless and quickest when it comes to getting a SBR

Buying in SBR form from a legit (legal) gun store or getting a SBR ready rifle and going through the process later

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Making your own SBR on a Form 1 takes a lot less waiting time than buying one on a Form 4.................

You can't SBR until you get your tax stamp in hand..........you can have everything ready to do it, though...

Also realize if you tire of it , it will always be an SBR until you notify BATFE to declassify it and return it to the original configuration. . You won't be able to just put a long barrel back on it and sell it off......used SBR's are a hard sell like used suppressors........mostly because they have to go the Form 4 route with long wait times.........

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    Also realize if you tire of it , it will always be an SBR until you notify BATFE to declassify it and return it to the original configuration. . You won't be able to just put a long barrel back on it and sell it off......used SBR's are a hard sell like used suppressors............
    yeah right a confirmation letter took a year. It was long gone

xkon

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2020
    Houston
    Form 1, making the SBR yourself, is a much quicker process. My last form 1 took 11 days in December. My last form 4 just came back last week and took 7 months.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    I got my efile form 1 back in 10 days last month. On top of filing the paperwork, you also have to have the firearm engraved with your name or trust and the city where SBR was "manufactured" before assembly of parts.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Hmmm....I haven't a Form 1 on take more than 2 or 3 weeks tops, and I have several.....

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    So, this would be the better choice

POLISH GROM AK47 SBR READY RIFLE

There's also a Romanian version

1708478399552.jpeg

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Does anyone else make a under folder SBR
    Have you considered an AK pistol? Get your stamp and then attach whatever stock you want without having to deal with that pinned and possibly welded faux suppressor. Might open up your options unless your set on an UF. Also something to keep in mind is your intended purpose. Unless you're gonna run suppressed, your shorty AK is gonna be a flame thrower.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Few ?'s for OP:
    What's your goal/use for this weapon?
    Have you tried out a regular Zastava underfolder like ZPAPM70UF? Considered a rifle so no fuss and quite short
    What caliber are you after? Has bearing on barrel length usefulness...MAWP
    Draco with brace is another route

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Have you considered an AK pistol? Get your stamp and then attach whatever stock you want without having to deal with that pinned and possibly welded faux suppressor. Might open up your options unless your set on an UF. Also something to keep in mind is your intended purpose. Unless you're gonna run suppressed, your shorty AK is gonna be a flame thrower.
    The three reasons I'm looking at a underfolder are..

1. Before Obama I was a gun collector and had several AK's, my favorite was a Romanian underfolder, it was more comfortable on my shoulder than the plastic or wood stocks

2. When folded it's streamlined with the weapon

3. Underfolder pistols/SBRs are rare/unique

It's going to be suppressed, for home defense

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    What's your goal/use for this weapon?
    Have you tried out a regular Zastava underfolder like ZPAPM70UF? Considered a rifle so no fuss and quite short
    What caliber are you after? Has bearing on barrel length usefulness...MAWP
    Draco with brace is another route
    Home defense

I have CQC/CQB training, a 16in barrel rifle can be used, but shorter is better

As per research they don't have a 556 UF SBR, so it would have to be 7.62x39

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Build your own. Or, get a tax stamp, and have a smith build it for you.

Eli
    I know nothing on building firearms

Wouldn't having a gunsmith build one be the same as just going to a gun store and buying one off the shelf

AKM47

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 26, 2018
    Tx
    Off the shelf =$$ get it today.
    Custom build= $$$$$$$ get it next year, Maybe?
    I meant gunsmith being the same as one off the shelf, built as a SBR compared to one being modified to make it a SBR

As stated earlier, modifying a rifle would be the best course over getting one directly

Top Bottom