• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Hey guys. Are smaller jalapenos 0-1" hotter then say a 3" pepper?

Never have tried ones smaller than say, about 2". I know the degree of heat varies between individual peppers of the same size, even from the same bush. I've been using the huge jalapenos that HEB sells. They're about 3" long and about 1 1/4" thick. They're warm, but not real hot.

I unintentionally planted some of those TAM mild jalapenos one year. Virtually no heat at all from most of them. About every 10th one though, was extremely spicy.
    Guns International

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Do you think it's squirrels or insects? If it's squirrels, have a blast taking out the tree rats. Seek and destroy those little basturds.
    Mice, rabbits, squirrels or maybe even deer... I dunno, but I wish I had thought to put some protection around them when I planted them. I think I'm going to make little cages out of hardware cloth to go around them. I just hope whatever it is doesn't use that for a ladder and just strip them up higher :p

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Theyre coming along.

Pumpkin

2ddafa0f901537ad1a436a1fe0176d8b.jpg

Jalopenos

ff4d3abf3c23fed51586c4ec4117cdaa.jpg

"Sent from a puff of smoke"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Try nicotine spray. Buy a pouch of Top or Bugler. Boil about 1/4 -1/3 pouch in a couple cups water. Strain. Dilute up to a gallon. Drop of dish soap if you want. It's gotta be used fresh cause the solution go's bad after a couple days.

I've used it before, in my experience it doesn't hurt plants. It'll jack a bug up in a really bad way. It's a neurotoxin served on a lead plate and asbestos spoon, big ole helping of mercury sauce, to spiders. Dear Charlotte ain't writing nothing in a web. Nah, not having that shit.

Last edited:

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Something tore the bark off my fruit trees :( I need to find some way to protect them from further damage and hope they don't die.

Got a picture of it. What kind of tree is it and how long has been there. I get deer rubs in the fall. apple trees are subject to a lot of bugs that make the bark come off.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I don't have a picture at the moment. I just planted the trees this year. Obviously still very young trees, but they weren't that small; they were in 3gal containers. Whatever it was didn't touch the apple trees. The bark was striped off the pear trees and one of the plums.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    May 16th 2015, garden is looking good.

IMG_1900_zpstmojvzkx.jpg

We received right at 12" of rain here in the month of May. Fortunately, No serious flooding. The gravel drive and garden took a hit tho.
    This is what the garden looked like on May 25th.
    IMG_1906_zpsiozkk62s.jpg

The tomatoes aren't faring to well. Especially the cherry tomatoes. Leaves are wilted and some have started turning brown. The cherries that were set seem to be doing okay. Some are starting to ripen. Today, the cherry tomato bushes look like this:
    IMG_1908_zpsj4zqzwyc.jpg

It's just the other way around with the Celebrity and Better Boy. The bushes look fine, but the tomatoes are rotting while they are still green. Blossom end rot.

Oddly enough, Bell peppers and Jalapenos are still thriving.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Great picts - keep em coming. My tomatoes are not prospering - between whatever's making the leaves drivel and die and the verdammten mockingbirds...
    Peppers are doing well - too well. Can't eat em all.
    Anyone here grow tomatillos?

Tony2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2013
    Magnolia
    Yes first time to grow tomatillos. They are proliffic dont grow very tall but spread out a lot. the limbs will get long and fall to the ground where they root. Flavor varies a lot depending if you pick them green or wait untill they turn yellow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    10 pieces of nicotine gum, few drops soap. Simmered in a quart of water till the gum melts. Strain. Diluted to gallon. Pump bug sprayer.

Applied to the under side of leaves, stem, base and the soil of potted plants and my pumpkins.

You're gonna die mosquitos. Get you SUM, you sorry flying, blood sucking basturds. For all the other bugs, say hello to Jesus.

rushthezeppelin

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Cedar Park
    Bet it would be easier to get some straight liquid nicotine from an ejuice supplier. Still nifty idea using a very potent but safe natural pesticide.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Cucumbers on the A-frames up front, okra getting big top right, w an espalier dwarf apple right behind them. In the middle is one of my areas of sweet potatoes.
    0c6e619503f8ab91cbc4f550e5ea9fa0.jpg

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Those are pressure treated 1x6s. My old boards were falling apart so I put these on the outside of them to add some rigidity. I guess that qualifies as lined.

The pressure treated wood isn't in contact w the soil or the plants. I researched it a little and I'm comfortable it. Any leaching going all the way through the old boards into the soil would be minimal.

ETA: The old boards are just untreated pine planks I recycled from an old fence. Not treated so they were weathering.

Last edited:

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Those are pressure treated 1x6s. My old boards were falling apart so I put these on the outside of them to add some rigidity. I guess that qualifies as lined.

The pressure treated wood isn't in contact w the soil or the plants. I researched it a little and I'm comfortable it. Any leaching going all the way through the old boards into the soil would be minimal.
    I want to do something similar, but was concerned pressure treated wood might contaminate the food grown. I was contemplating building raised beds out of cinder blocks, but that would cost a lot more. Also won't look as nice which is important for spousal satisfaction :laughing:

It's a quandary finding something cost effective that won't fall apart or poison me after a season or two.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angee
    Top Bottom