DK Firearms

Freedom Munitions- Has Anyone Here Tried Them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    I probably still have a few rounds around here. Bought from them before. Stuff goes bang every time. I'm unconvinced on those "hollow points" they sell. IMO, they don't look like they'd expand well. I wonder if anyone has tried them on the ballistic jell to see how they work.
    Gun Zone Deals

KawiVulcanS

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2015
    Houston, TX
    For additional information: They have a store in Houston on 290 on Jones I believe (in a corner behind Slick Willies). You can go there and buy in bulk and save the shipping. Now by in bulk I mean IN BULK (like fill your trunk). There used to not be limits. Kawi do you know if they put limits on in the last year or two?

No, there aren't any purchase limits that I know of. At least not as of my last in store purchase in May. I picked up 2000 rounds of 9mm, and 1500 rounds of .45.

L a r r y

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    I have used several thousand rounds of Freedom Munitions, new and reman, in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP with no issues at all. They have all gone bang with no problems...........
    the

+1....I've been buying their ammo for the last 5 months exclusively, maybe close to 2000 rounds in these three calibers and they've all been good. The only issues I've had were FTE, but that was the shooters fault, and not the ammo

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Didn't have any luck with their 308 175gr match ammo.
    It was loaded way too hot and didn't group worth a damn out of my bolt rifle.

However, same box of ammo shot great out of an AR10 though...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I probably still have a few rounds around here. Bought from them before. Stuff goes bang every time. I'm unconvinced on those "hollow points" they sell. IMO, they don't look like they'd expand well. I wonder if anyone has tried them on the ballistic jell to see how they work.
    The x-treme hollow points say that they won't expand that it's the same bullets used by competitors for accuracy. I have some and they shoot great. Just bought 500 reds of their blaster ammo and 250 100g reman .380s.

Having a job again will get my ammo levels back where they need to be.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Whist depriming a bunch of brass last night I took a look at some of the FM 9mm primers. There was a fair amount of variance in pressure sign's, the most significant was probably this cratered primer:

IMG_20150714_211039.jpg

I'm pretty new to reloading, but if I saw that when working up a charge from minimum I'd probably back it off a touch.

I've shot thousands of rounds of FM & have a reasonable amount stored, it certainty does the job for a good price. I'm unconvinced other suppliers would be significantly better.

However the occasional deep seated bullet & pressure signs lean me towards making my own instead.

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Shot some of their .45 new ammo (starline brass) and it shot pretty well. Only complaint was the amount of unburnt powder; it looked like someone was working a pepper grinder over my forearm for half a minute.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    That was interesting, just called SIG as my p226 has been having some ftf in single action. I don't think this is related but the customer service guy said others have been having issues with freedom munitions (this I can believe, I've had light loads & bullet setback). Then he said it doesn't meet sammi specifications....

I'd be surprised if it was all out of spec, but some of the rounds I've seen could've been.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    That was interesting, just called SIG as my p226 has been having some ftf in single action. I don't think this is related but the customer service guy said others have been having issues with freedom munitions (this I can believe, I've had light loads & bullet setback). Then he said it doesn't meet sammi specifications....

I'd be surprised if it was all out of spec, but some of the rounds I've seen could've been.

That's strange. If you think it's the ammo, why not call Freedom?

They're pretty responsive on stuff like this.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    It's not the Ammo, I've run the ammo in other gun's without any FTF's. The FTF's are down to the P226.

It was just interesting that Sig would state Freedom isn't Sammi compliant.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It's not the Ammo, I've run the ammo in other gun's without any FTF's. The FTF's are down to the P226.

It was just interesting that Sig would state Freedom isn't Sammi compliant.

Depending on the facts, that's pretty close to slander. From Freedom's site:

• FREEDOM MUNITIONS full length sizes all cases on our own designed machines to meet S.A.A.M.I.specification. This method is proprietary to our own designed equipment for commercial resizing, which ensures new component performance.
    • FREEDOM MUNITIONS then loads these processed components on the same fiber optic-controlled Ammo Load machines as our premium new ammo. These are the same machines used by some of the largest manufacturers in the industry. These machines assure S.A.A.M.I. specifications for priming depth, powder charge, bullet depth and overall cartridge length.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if the majority didn't meet Sammi spec's.

I do have one or two of the deep seated bullets knocking around, I'll get the calipers out and see if it's under 1" (sammi 9mm min OAL). That would demonstrate that at least some of the rounds aren't delivered sammi compliant (could've been hit in shipping).

Even if they measure over 1" I wouldn't be happy to fire these. I've got no way to prove they would exceed 35kpsi, but I'd place a reasonable bet they would.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if the majority didn't meet Sammi spec's.

I do have one or two of the deep seated bullets knocking around, I'll get the calipers out and see if it's under 1" (sammi 9mm min OAL). That would demonstrate that at least some of the rounds aren't delivered sammi compliant (could've been hit in shipping).

Even if they measure over 1" I wouldn't be happy to fire these. I've got no way to prove they would exceed 35kpsi, but I'd place a reasonable bet they would.

I had some deepseated remans on a batch of 1,000. But none on two batches of new rounds I just received. I was a bit annoyed with that. It may have been a one time thing as I have not had that from them before.

stemoo01

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2014
    Finally got round to putting calipers to a couple of the shorts.

I measure a standard round at 1.149, the shorts come in at 1.063 & 1.023.

Sammi min is 1.0, however you'll find most factory rounds are around 1.15.

Whilst the shorts aren't below Sammi min length if they are close to Sammi max pressure at 1.149 oal they could both be overpressure at the stubby lengths.

This could simply be a batch/qa issue, I'm not much bothered I simply don't shoot them & keep an eye out when loading. I've caught ~10 of these over the past few months, but to be fair I shoot around 500 a week.

SigSteve

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2014
    Rosenberg, TX area
    So after my previous comment in this thread claiming to have never had an issue. I now have 3 deep seated 9mm from the latest shipment. They all came from the same box, and the box is slightly smashed on one corner, do I tend to think it happened during shipping. I notified freedom just as a courtesy (not expecting anything free), and they offered 5% off next order.

This just shows it's important to inspect your ammo when loading regardless of manufacturer. It's easy enough to do a quick QC with freedoms packaging, just pull out the tray and set it on a flat surface. Any deep seated bullets will be obvious compared to the rest (as long as they aren't all deep seated).

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    It's easy enough to do a quick QC with freedoms packaging, just pull out the tray and set it on a flat surface. Any deep seated bullets will be obvious compared to the rest (as long as they aren't all deep seated).

Excellent advice. I do this with all ammo I purchase from any manufacturer.

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    As I've previously stated in this thread, I had two blown primers from FM 9mm reloads. There's no way to predict that, and I won't buy the stuff anymore.

Top Bottom