First suppressor: 22 or centerfire pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Just curious, you claim a 9mm is not fun with a can due to the fact it's supersonic, yet what caliber weapon does the Phantom you own suppress?
    Target Sports

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    From what I've seen the 9 and even 40 suppress decently. Is this caliber bashing entering a suppressor thread? I agree I probably should get the 22 first. It's much cheaper and I actually know which one i want, Silencerco Sparrow.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    From what I've seen the 9 and even 40 suppress decently. Is this caliber bashing entering a suppressor thread? I agree I probably should get the 22 first. It's much cheaper and I actually know which one i want, Silencerco Sparrow.

Yep, the .45 Osprey on my HK USP .40 Tactical works great, as it does on my .45 Tactical!!

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 7, 2012
    Sugar Land Texas

Good choice. I think you will be very happy with it. Shooting without ear pro in 100+ degree heat makes it very comfortable. (I hope I don't catch shit from the helmet guys for not wearing proper PPE,,,LOL)

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I went to the range last Friday in the late afternoon. Miserable hot.

I figure the 22 is the best place to start. Yes, I still do like the idea of getting a pistol suppressor and do plan on using it for my home defense gun. I just need to figure out which one then save that big amount of $ for a metal tube and tax.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Just curious, you claim a 9mm is not fun with a can due to the fact it's supersonic, yet what caliber weapon does the Phantom you own suppress?
    300blk
    Do you have a special rifle sparrow can? I use my sparrow on my pistols all the time. Am I doing something wrong?
    I was talking about a centerfire pistol can. My sparrow practically lives on my ruger lite since I can shoot cheap bulk pack that stays subsonic.
    Nothing to do with caliber bashing just facts. The 9 and 40 are supersonic so while yes the can knocks dbs down like it would for any cartridge its not really worth it imo. A 9 or 40 suppressed is NOT hearing safe unless you load 147s for the 9 and if youre going to do that you might as well shoot a 45. 45 is subsonic when shooting 200+ gr bullets so it is hearing safe and pretty dang quiet especially when shot wet.

The octane 45 is the only way to go imo so you can shoot cast bullets and not worry about buildup.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I dont blame you, if you reload rocky mountain reloading has pretty reasonable prices on pkated 147s every so often. Commercial loaded 147s are ridiculously priced. Shooting 230gr 45 at steel suppressed is a lot of fun. Puts a heck of a thumping on steel and sounds cool since you're not hearing the muzzle report.

Ill be at lonestar sunday morning, you're more than welcome yo try my sparrow. Its a hoot and shoots cheapo ammo all day long.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Ill be at lonestar sunday morning, you're more than welcome yo try my sparrow. Its a hoot and shoots cheapo ammo all day long.

Much appreciated.

So how much quieter is a 147 vs a 124 or 115?

If I do feel compelled to get another caliber for pistols will just be 45 and not 40 also. This is getting complicated but greatly appreciate everyone's advice.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    This thread is way to long, so forgive me if this has already been suggested, but, here is my educated suggestion. Get an SWR Octane 9 HD. It is a great 9mm can that also has replaceable cams for different thread pitches and can be disassembled completely for cleaning so great for 22LR also.

I know a few guys that run Octanes on 22LR SBR's and pistols with great effect.

300blk

I was talking about a centerfire pistol can. My sparrow practically lives on my ruger lite since I can shoot cheap bulk pack that stays subsonic.

Nothing to do with caliber bashing just facts. The 9 and 40 are supersonic so while yes the can knocks dbs down like it would for any cartridge its not really worth it imo. A 9 or 40 suppressed is NOT hearing safe unless you load 147s for the 9 and if youre going to do that you might as well shoot a 45. 45 is subsonic when shooting 200+ gr bullets so it is hearing safe and pretty dang quiet especially when shot wet.

The octane 45 is the only way to go imo so you can shoot cast bullets and not worry about buildup.

Oh and to weigh in on the caliber bashing.. I was testing some 9mm loads this morning and the fastest of the test loads chronoed at about 1030 FPS, so subsonic 9mm is pretty damn easy to achieve. That was with a 125Gr JHP. Supersonic 9mm is also hearing safe... You probably want to double check your "data".... Hearing safe has absolutely nothing to do with the projectile breaking the sound barrier.... I shoot suppressed super and subsonic 9mm all the time, including through a subgun and have metered them all and they are all hearing safe..... The only 9mm can that I have seen on the market that isn't hearing safe (with subs or supers) is the AAC Mini TiRant.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    Much appreciated.

So how much quieter is a 147 vs a 124 or 115?

If I do feel compelled to get another caliber for pistols will just be 45 and not 40 also. This is getting complicated but greatly appreciate everyone's advice.

I can't hit Lonestar this weekend but if you would like to demo some cans I have some demo cans you could shoot.

SWR Octane 9mm HD
    SilencerCo Osprey 45 (on 9mm or .45)
    Silencerco Sparrow

You would just need to provide the ammo, I have all the platform guns also. It really isn't that complicated, just everyone here seems to love making things harder than they need to be.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    I know you've shot a ton so I'll respect your opinion but you're comparing apples to oranges stating 124gr velocities. Everyone knows the cheap plinking practice ammo for 9mm is 115gr RN and that ammo is supersonic in all massed produced iterations. I dont know of many or any people really that practice with SD projectiles. The 124s are right on the edge in the transonic zone. With hotter loads, or a cartridge thats been cooked in a hot chamber it will be supersonic. With us living in the oven that is Texas we are even more likely to get supersonic cracks with ammo that is in the transonic speed region.

Hearing safe is a subjective term for sure but do you not agree that 9mm is louder out of a can than 45 unless the 9mm is chunking 147s? The osprey 9mm(shooting 115 plated RN) was dang sure louder than the octane 45 (shooting 230gr WWB). With a little water the octane was fairly close to the sound of my lite with the sparrow but pretty messy. That ultraquiet gel is much better than water.

biglucky

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Dripping Springs, TX
    I know you've shot a ton so I'll respect your opinion but you're comparing apples to oranges stating 124gr velocities. Everyone knows the cheap plinking practice ammo for 9mm is 115gr RN and that ammo is supersonic in all massed produced iterations. I dont know of many or any people really that practice with SD projectiles. The 124s are right on the edge in the transonic zone. With hotter loads, or a cartridge thats been cooked in a hot chamber it will be supersonic. With us living in the oven that is Texas we are even more likely to get supersonic cracks with ammo that is in the transonic speed region.

Hearing safe is a subjective term for sure but do you not agree that 9mm is louder out of a can than 45 unless the 9mm is chunking 147s? The osprey 9mm(shooting 115 plated RN) was dang sure louder than the octane 45 (shooting 230gr WWB). With a little water the octane was fairly close to the sound of my lite with the sparrow but pretty messy. That ultraquiet gel is much better than water.

Yes 115 white box is a bit louder than factory .45. It has nothing to do with hearing safe though. Hearing safe is not subjective. It is all about the number of decibels being heard. Pretty much every 9MM can on the market will reduce even cheap white box 9MM below that hearing safe barrier.

I guess I am an anomaly. I shoot hand loads more than factory ammo. I also have a few thousand Atlanta Arms 147gr subs around from time to time. I practice with ammo that is pretty much always subsonic because it is what I compete with.

Don't get me wrong. I love shooting suppressed .45 also. The best cheap solution for a wet can is KY jelly. I learned that from the guys at AAC. I also love shooting suppressed rifles such as my 8.5" AR with a SilencerCo SAKER. It is certainly not subsonic but has metered hearing safe.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Ky is water based so make sure shoot it enough to evaporate everything in the tube.

Water + carbon = carbonic acid which equals corrosion.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

Top Bottom