APOD Firearms

First suppressor: 22 or centerfire pistol?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    I plan to get one that will work on both the 22 and AR, his or bad idea?

I have a 10/22 takedown w the threaded barrel, can I buy just any supr?

Is there like a universal mount I can put on for both the 22 and AR?

sent from my cell phone, far far away

Bad idea because 22lr ammo will lead up your AR can. Rifle caliber cans are sealed and cannot be taken apart to clean. That's ok, because most rifle rounds use jacketed bullets so lead doesn't splatter inside. Some say the pressures involved with rifle ammo also help to keep the can from building up too much soot, but I don't know. Anyway, rifle cans have to be sealed because of the pressures involved so that's the way it is with them. You can't get the lead build up from 22lr out. 22lr needs it's own can that can be dissembled for cleaning, unless you don't mind paying $200 and waiting 6-9mo for a can you have to toss when it gets full of lead.
    DK Firearms

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Bad idea because 22lr ammo will lead up your AR can. Rifle caliber cans are sealed and cannot be taken apart to clean. That's ok, because most rifle rounds use jacketed bullets so lead doesn't splatter inside. Some say the pressures involved with rifle ammo also help to keep the can from building up too much soot, but I don't know. Anyway, rifle cans have to be sealed because of the pressures involved so that's the way it is with them. You can't get the lead build up from 22lr out. 22lr needs it's own can that can be dissembled for cleaning, unless you don't mind paying $200 and waiting 6-9mo for a can you have to toss when it gets full of lead.

Centerfire pistol cans sealed too?

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Centerfire pistol cans sealed too?

Some still are, but most mfg's have switched to producing cans that can be disassembled, because that's what people want. Probably not many people have the money or inclination to buy enough ammo to clog a can. I know that I don't. But at the same time, I don't like the idea of going through the NFA process to get something that has a limited life span from the start, not matter what it is.

For some of the older cans that are still out there, and those that are still sealed, Stalking Rhino Industries does a jailbreak service, so you can take them apart. I sent my Gemtech Viper to them and it came back great. They do awesome work.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Well centerfire pistol cans (using jacket bullets) don't build up lead like 22lr cans do, and that's the REAL problem. So it's not as much of a real issue, as much it just bugs some people (like me) that I can't get in there and clean it. You can always send it back to SilencerCo for cleaning if need be. Practically speaking, it's probably never going to be a problem for 99% of people. So if you really like the can, go ahead and get it.

Gemtech recommends soaking your can in a mixture of mineral oil and transmission fluid to get some of the gunk out with their sealed cans.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Most people will never shoot a center fire can to the point that it actually needs to be cleaned. Keep in mind also that a dirty can will work better than a clean can be cause the carbon acts as an additional buffer to absorb sound.

Sent from a creepy ass cracka.

macshooter

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    EL Chuco
    Most people will never shoot a center fire can to the point that it actually needs to be cleaned. Keep in mind also that a dirty can will work better than a clean can be cause the carbon acts as an additional buffer to absorb sound.

That's what Gemtech says. Makes sense if you've ever put a new exhaust on your ride. Starts off loud when it's brand new, then mellows out with time.

Gemtech says you don't need to take your car muffler apart to clean it do you? Good point, but I still want the can I can take apart. LOL.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Originally wanted to go with the 22 suppressor due to price and actually being able to afford to shoot a 22 a lot. But, for home defense, a suppressor on a 9mm pistol makes sense too me. I do really like that I can run subsonic 300 Blackout as well.

I did think about trying to justify the 22 suppressed for home defense, but that round is just not a stopper (yes, it can be a killer).

So, talk me into or out of getting the Silencerco Osprey 45 for my first suppressor.

What are the downsides and what would you suggest instead?

View attachment 23006

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Originally wanted to go with the 22 suppressor due to price and actually being able to afford to shoot a 22 a lot. But, for home defense, a suppressor on a 9mm pistol makes sense too me. I do really like that I can run subsonic 300 Blackout as well.

I did think about trying to justify the 22 suppressed for home defense, but that round is just not a stopper (yes, it can be a killer).

So, talk me into or out of getting the Silencerco Osprey 45 for my first suppressor.

View attachment 23006

.45 Osprey was my first.
    I use it on .40 & 9mm as well.

hkusp1

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    DALLAS, TX
    Best options IMO for .22, .45, and .308 are the Silencerco sparrow, osprey, and the swr specwar 762.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Not looking forward to dropping this cash then sending the paperwork to some bureaucracy to wait 6 months for them to hopefully not lose it. I'm sure it will be worth it the first time at the range.

1slow01Z71

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Kyle
    Sparrow or spectre II first without a doubt. Mine is a hoot
    20130627_204830_zps99667014.jpg

20130705_221200_zpse31de57a.jpg

20130627_203816_zpsdd6d5c4e.jpg

Everyone should own a 22 can and a 30cal can. You can do dang near anything with those two cans. My fvsr with the sparrow and subsonics is scary quiet. The bullet hitting whatever is louder than the gun.

Top Bottom